cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New joiner. Just had 2nd T, stressed by SEs

15 REPLIES 15
Mashie

Re: New joiner. Just had 2nd T, stressed by SEs

Thanks so much Maryland. Such good advice I will stock up on the pain killers. What would we do without the strong ladies on this forum who have already been through what we are going through yet still take the time to offer support to us. Xx

Maryland

Hi Mashie....from my experience and Onc's wise words (after the event!!) it is usually the first TAX that affects many people the most. This is apparently because your body has to deal with a new chemo regime when it is just 'getting used to the old one'! Bone pain for me (in 2012) was the hardest to deal with, and from TAX 2 (wish I'd started from TAX 1) I took paracetamol 4 times a day and ibuprofen 3 times a day from day 2 to about day 5 or 6. This made a huge difference to how I felt physically. Just need to remember to take your temp before each dose of paracetamol. The pain caused by the injections means they're doing their job properly 🙂 As another reply said....eat what you what when you want as everything tastes like cardboard (not that I've ever eaten cardboard!!)....so easy to eat, bland or highly flavoured food/drink is the way forward.......if you're not already keeping a side effect/medication diary, might be worth writing it down.....and planning a treat for the days when you feel good. This helped me with anticipating/mitigating TAX SEs. On a positive note, TAX is a very effective chemo and mostly people who write about their experiences on a forum are experiencing the most challenging side effects and are seeking advice/support; there will be hundreds out there who do not suffer so badly.........all the best for the rest of your treatment and hope it is kind to you......xx

rookie

Thanks, not sure i can do them myself but hey, who knows, I never thought id be strong enough to get through thids so far. I'll close my eyes & jump lol

Mashie

Sorry should be 3rd fec
Mashie

Rookie I have had my 3rd Dec and due to have my first t on 20th. Like you I'm feeling apprehensive as the negative comments fair out do the positive regarding tax. But what I keep telling myself is that everyone is different. I have had the injections after each chemo and I do them for 8 days. I was also scared at first but now just stick it in and get it over with. I put an ice pack on my tummy 10 mins before I do it and Don't feel a thing. If you don't feel up to doing them yourself tell them as I know the doistrict nurses in my area will come out and do them. 

rookie

Thanks, no ive never had any injections, lucky old me. Ive never been sick either. I really sailed thru 1st 2 sessions, keeping up work & everything. Stsrted feeling tired on 3rd. Really dreading injections. 

Slyolddog

For 'bond pain' read bone pain!!
Slyolddog

Hi Rookie

Well done for getting through your FEC. Tax is different, doesn't usually cause nausea but I found it did cause bond pain, which I didn't suffer with on FEC. This could be down to the injections which start sooner after Tax than they do on FEC. Have you not had injections to boost your white blood count after FEC?

You sound a bit run down at the moment. I found it difficult to know what to eat or drink due to the awful taste in my mouth, which was worse after TAX. My top tip would be to eat and drink whatever you can, you need strength from whatever you can eat to keep you going. For what it's worth I had my last Tax on October 17th and I feel fine. The only downside is chocolate still tastes odd but I'm persevering!! Hair is growing back, including eyelashes and eyebrows (and chin hair!!!) and I'm building up my hours at work.

You will get through this, it will make you a stronger person and in less time than you could imagine you will be passing on the benefit of your experience to other women who are going through treatment.

Good luck for the future.
rookie

Hi, got through 3 Fec & dreading the 1st T on monday. Is it true you have injections as well? Im sure thats what they said last session. Ive felt tired after 3rd fec & had cold sore virus inside lips which is not nice. Had food pureed like a baby lol.lucozade has helped this time but reading this thread has got me worried. Any tips? 

Mindy63

Sounds to me as though you're doing really well. You're almost there and deserves a pat on the back. Allow yourself to be tired.

Palechick

Thanks Slyolddog 😊 appreciate the comment, & good to hear from someone who has completed the course. I worry I should be able to do more but maybe you're right and I should roll with it and rest up. Happy Christmas 🎄
Nanny_Sal

Hi Palechick,

I finished Chemo back in Feb! But just wanted to reassure you that what you are feeling is 'normal'. At this stage of your treatment your body is dealing with the remains of the FEC in your system, plus the joyous T! It's an accumulative effect. The body is working super hard at this point. I remember after my last T that I struggled to get up the stairs! I ended up practically crawling up them!

Having said that I did work throughout, but did take a week off after my last dose. Listen to your body, and don't be surprised if you still feel tired even weeks after your last Chemo. It does slowly improve, but I won't lie to you, it does take time.

Wishing you all the best for the rest of your treatment, and wishing you a Merry Christmas. Hope you are able to have some fun in between feeling rough xxxxx
Palechick

Thanks Lucy - I was trying to post in October chemo thread, but I did something wrong! 😊
Slyolddog

Hi Palechick. I finished my last Tax on October 17th and have to say the tiredness builds as you go through your treatments. From what you have said it appears you have one more Tax to go, some time in January? If things go to plan you should start to pick up late Jan/early Feb. Please don't expect yourself to feel better, just accept that you feel the way that you do and roll with it. Difficult at any time of the year I know but worse at Christmas to be already feeling knackered. I have to advise I also found the bone pain to be a lot worse after the last Tax, so be prepared for that as well. Not guaranteed but a possibility. Can't really give any other advice, can only say that two months after finishing I'm feeling not bad at all, taste buds not fully recovered but not too bad, hair growing back slowly, eyebrows and eyelashes not included in that yet as they fell late in the day. Things must be improving as I found a chin hair!! Amazing, no body hair but a flippin chin hair. I hope you start to feel better soon but as I said if you don't fell more lively just give it time, it will come eventually. Have a good Christmas.
Lucy_BCC

Hi Palechick and welcome to the BCC forums

You may find it helpful to post in the chemotherapy monthly threads, here's the link to all the threads as not sure when your chemo would have started, users share their experiences and side effects on these threads so sure you will find it helpful:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/bd-p/Chemotherapy_monthy_thread...

You may also find the following information and further support ideas from BCC helpful :

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Palechick

New joiner. Just had 2nd T, stressed by SEs

Hi all. I have so far completed 3 FECs and 2 Ts, last one was last tues. I have been lucky to avoid sickness so far, mouth not too bad (furry, no taste but no ulcers) and aches controllable with ibuprofen & paracetamol but I have found the tiredness awful. I am just hoping I am not alone in having no energy. I can get up and dressed, even shower(!) but could not leave the house to walk anywhere. Not suffering from shortness of breath but I am feeling stressed by the fact I think I should be feeling more well now (& able to be more active). Is anyone else in this boat? Being alone with just your thoughts I find makes it worse! Thank you all 🙂