New lump in other breast 4 weeks after mastectomy

hi everyone, I had a right mastectomy 4 weeks ago. Last scan/mammogram in Feb. I found a new lump in my left breast over the weekend. I rang the breast care nurse who informed me that I have to see my GP as a new referral !!! I’m gob smacked to be honest. When I first attended the Breast clinic in Feb with my right breast, I felt everything was very organised and done within a good time frame. Now I feel as though I’m seen as a nuisance. Apparently, if this lump is cancer then I would need to follow the same route as I did with the right with surgery and this would then hold up the chemo etc. All I can do though is wait, again ?

I find this unacceptable.  Can you phone your Surgeon’s secretary and make an appointment to see him/her?  My surgeon has told me to phone her sec any time I need to see her and she will always do so.  Why on earth would they make you go through the whole system again when you are already in the system.  I would persevere.  It is probably nothing but you need to be reassured of that.  Good luckxx

Thanks Jayney, it makes you feel like you’re making a fuss. So I appreciate you understand where I’m coming from xx

I mirror Jayne, i was told also once in the system you are in it whether problems with first visit or any other recurrances /  new symptoms.

ring the secretary, as one myself she will know what goes on and will be able to leave a message for your surgeon and give you the right info. 

Was as it your usual breastcare nurse or just one of the team

definately make a fuss, in the meantime make an appointment with your gp and your GP maybe able to do an urgent referral. That way you aren’t waiting for secretary to ring back as in our surgery it can take a few days for an appointment. You can always cancel gp if you get an answer from surgeon.

I’m not saying anything new just echoing everyone else really but surely if you’re already a patient receiving treatment why would you have to have a referral again. Definitely bypass the BCN & talk to someone else. X

I don’t believe that. How ridiculous. You are in the system. You should be seen straight away. I was told if I ever have any concerns at all, ever, over next 5 years I can just ring BC nurses at hospital and they’ll squeeze me into Clinic. I’m so annoyed for you. xx

Why can they not refer you straight to breast care centre? Tbh GPs are not really up to speed.  But, if that’s the way to go, go that way, keep positive as much as you can xx

Buster - I’m soooo sorry, this is long after your posting. I am hoping you are doing ok, BUT, you were given very wrong information. You were still under the direct care of the oncho team/surgeon with your initial BC. As such, if you’d discovered a problem in your OTHER breast, you are still under their DIRECT care. My experience of discovering lumps in my “other” breast, were 8 months after my first mastectomy. I contacted my BCN immediately, NOT my GP, and it was looked into right away. However, I’m going back 10 yrs now. Things seem to have massively changed and services are that much more “pushed” financially?? - dunno. Hope you have now been checked out, as mine turned out to be another “Primary” in my 2nd/remaining boob, and it was all dealt with extremely promptly, albeit the ultrasound doctor VERY WRONGFULLY said, she didn’t feel it was ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. BUT, thanks to my surgeons conscientiousness and suspicions, it was further looked into with core biopsy - blamoh - same again.

I consider myself to have been extremely lucky with my BCNs 10 yrs ago, both absobloominlutely fantastic. I’d love to name and praise them, but it isn’t considered good policy on here to name medics. But, I came across a photo of them both, whilst looking into the Manchester Cancer Org website, their having won a well deserved award!! I’m sadly no longer in their same area of M/C, and have sadly missed their high standard of care where I now am. Must drop them a “Hello and thanks again” line .In fact, I shall make a point of doing. Nothing like giving and or receiving praise where it is well deserveded.

Hope it’s all now being dealt with promptly Buster. Thinking of you and please will you keep us in touch with where you’re up to with it all.

Delly xxx