cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member and scared ..

14 REPLIES 14
MadAnge

Re: New member and scared ..

Hi Fiona they will once your biopsy results are in. That helps them to plan your treatment . Good luck. Remember we are all here x
FionaJMD

No one has discussed any grades or types with me yet. Hope you get good results on Wednesday.
MadAnge

Hi Fiona, I found my first lump ( only 40 so had not had mammogram before) whilst investigating this one there was an area they decided to look at. They confirmed my first one was grade 3 and luckily they found the other on the u/s and took more biopsies (if they hadn't I was going for an MRI too) glad they did as second area was a grade 2. Due to the position my best option was a masectomy. I am 3 weeks post op and have my results on Wednesday. Xx
FionaJMD

Thank you all. Yes my husband has come with me to all of my appointments. When I first got the diagnosis, the only question I could think of, was would I lose my hair, silly that that seemed my only worry.
familytree

Hi Fiona x 

Sounds like you will get your results on Thursday then. They will tell you what treatment they recommend. You will have met your breast care nurse I imagine and they are a fountain of knowledge and plain talking so if you feel you have not taken all the information in you can always call your nurse. I wish I had recorded it on reflection as I was in shock obviously so while the doc was talking I wasn't really listening! Just said 'can I go now'! lol good job my friend and daughter were there to hear the good news... well best scenario, it's treatable and been caught very early'. As Jill says, it's not the death sentence it once was (I had myself dead n buried right there in the room!) so try to stay calm.. We will all be routing for you Thursday and waiting to hear how it went. Sending love n hugs 

Lorna xx

missmore

Fiona
Please take someone with you when you go to see the surgeon on Thursday so they can take notes if necessary because it is very difficult to remember everything they say
hopefulholly

Hi Fiona, I was where you are now but in April. Everyone on here will agree that it's the waiting that is the most difficult.

I was diagnosed just before my 54th birthday following a routine mammogram, thank goodness and I am also a large lady, well my boobs certainly are (still) as I had a lumpectomy (personal choice). It's difficult I know reading our replies from further down the road to treatment and recovery as you can't imagine being here but you will. Once you know what you are dealing with and have a treatment plan, you will feel less frightened and ready to get rid of the bugger. It's perfectly normal, and healthy, in my opinion to remain positive whilst being terrified, the word cancer alone is bloody scary isn't it and it's a new experience for us all?

You will find a lot of support here and your family and friends will be able to support you once you have all the info you need. They're as much in the dark as you are now and we all were when first diagnosed but you and they will soon learn a whole new language and it will become easier.

Take good care if yourself x

Jobey68

Hi Fiona, sorry you've had to join us here in the club no one wants to be in but we are a lovely bunch... Honest!! The early days of diagnosis are the worst with all the uncertainties but I can say from experience that is as bad as it gets and with more knowledge you do find a way to deal with what's happening and as Jill rightly says things start to feel less overwhelming, I was diagnosed in March and finished treatment in June , and am now back to pretty much normal and enjoying life again, if you have a lumpectomy or mastectomy they will  remove a few nodes to test for cells which is how they know if it has spread, its not as awful as it sounds and the lumpectomy surgery I had was fine and I was home the same day, just try to take things as they come and not let your brain run to far ahead, I know how hard it is believe me but with hind sight all you do is drive yourself potty and it won't change anything, keep talking to us and we will do everything we can to help you through 😊 love Jo xx 

FionaJMD

Thank you Jill
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sorry pressed post before I had finished,friends and family try yo day the right things but often they get it wrong .They are freaked out and scared too, "be positive" I was told so many times , why will it cure me I felt lime saying,I'm bloody scared how can I be positive....it does get easier though I promise you,good days and bad days but less overwhelming.
Jill1998
Community Champion

P.s
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes Fiona,people here will totally understand what you are going through.There are so many ifs and buts over the first few weeks,they piece things together from a variety of different sources to help devise a treatment plan including biopsies and in some cases scans particularly if you have lobular cancer which is hard to see on a mammogram.There are a few of us talking on the "just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand thread " who have been or are in the same position if you would like to join us.
FionaJMD

Thanks Jill.

As you think I will get more replies in here then I will post the rest of my post.

When I went back they confirmed that I had a cancer, approx 3.5cm.  They again tried to biopsy the second bit. More poking and proding.  They thought they had it, took a biopsy and put in a marker, when viewed on the x-ray, the marker was nowhere near.

The Dr said that I could go for surgery on the one bit but if it turned out down the line that the other bit was cancerous too then I would need surgery again.  She advised that I have an MRI to try and identify the other bit.

I had to wait nearly another two weeks to get details of MRI appointment.  I am a large lady and when I went for MRI, the machine was too tight and it didnt happen.

I had an appointment with a surgeon last Thursday and he was lovely and gave me the option of going for a mastectomy or trying to find out what the second bit was and if it was benign then I would only need a lumpectomy.  They asked another local hospital who I believe has a bigger MRI but they said no.  Who knows why, maybe they couldnt get me in in a timely manner.

The surgeon went back to the Breast screening department and they decided to try again to get a biopsy.  Lying down in the most uncomfortable position imaginable they finally, after about an hour of trying, managed to get a biopsy and they put in another marker, which I believe is in the right place.

I have an appointment this Thursday for the result.  Currently waiting to find if I need a lumpectomy or a mastectomy.

I have no idea what kind or stage it is.  I am having major what ifs.  How and when will I find out what kind it is.  How and when will I find out if it has spread.

I just needed to get this out there to people who actually understand the words I have used.  Family and friends are very, oh you will be fine, but will I?

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Fiona,I think you are probably more likely to get a reply in this section.I was called back from my second mammogram too.Very ,very scary.I looked at stats when they took my biopsy and 4 out of 5 are not cancer,if it looks suspicious they will biopsy it ,but doesn't mean it is cancer.I was diagnosed with breast cancer end of May, at first I was terrified but once I knew what I was dealing with and what happens next I felt a lot better .Breast cancer detected at routine mammogram is often very early stage and very good prognosis so if you are diagnosed don't panic it is not a death sentence.The ladies on this forum are very supportive so come back and get support if you need to. a week feel like an age I know,but hopefully you will get good news.
FionaJMD

New member and scared ..

Hi I posted in the New member section this morning and maybe I should have posted in here sorry if that was the wrong place.

Dont want to repost so if anyone can put my mind at rest a bit it will be much appreciated.

Here is the start of my post in the new member forum.

Hi all, I have just joined as I need some inspiration as I am really scared.

I am 53 and had my first mammo 3 years ago.  I had my second one in June and I got a letter saying I needed to go for further investigations.  I went to the Breast screening clinic and saw a small white circle on the x-ray.  I had a biopsy via ultrasound scan.  The doctor could see another dark spot which she wanted to get information on.  I was put on the x-ray machine for them to try and biopsy. Poked, proded, moved, spiked but they couldnt get to it.  I was sent home to wait a week for the results of the successful biopsy.