New member intro

Hi,

I’m not diagnosed yet but I’m feeling very anxious after going to my GP today with a lump and getting a 48 hour referral. She was very kind and said that even though she wanted an immediate referral I shouldn’t assume that means cancer, but the speed of it all has knocked me sideways.

I’m 48 and have just started the menopause. I don’t work as I have a serious auto-immune disorder. I live in a very rural community with no friends nearby that I can chat to about this. My husband is doing his best bless him, but he’s a bit at sea about it all at the moment.

Nymeria,
We can all probably relate to your situation… we find a lump/change/thickness, go to the GP half expecting to be told its nothing, then complete shock when we get the referral!
Please know that the fast referral is the best thing that can happen, the worst is the waiting.
This site and forum holds a wealth of information, but more importantly friendship - I am in a great place primarily because of the ladies I have met here.
I wish you well with your referral and hope that it is a negative results… approx 80% of lumps etc are not cancer.
Best wishes
Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

Thanks for your kind words. I guess what’s really shocked me is the speed of it, partly I think because I had psyched myself up to it being something like a cyst. I really do appreciate the fact that I’ve got a speedy referral though, even if it’s a bit scary, because it must be horrible to have wait even a couple of weeks.

I’ve been reading through many of the wonderful posts here, there’s so much information and the community of spirit is wonderful - I’m so relieved to have found you all!
Thanks
Nymeria

Hi nymeria

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, I’m sure you will find them a great source of support and information.

As well as the help you receive from the other forum members you may find it useful to read the BCC information booklet ‘referral to a breast clinic’ It gives information about what to expect at the clinic and details of the different tests you may have. If you would like a copy or to read this on line just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59/

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

thank you Sam, I will download that now!

I now have my appointment and it’s a week on Monday. They are treating it as ‘moderately urgent’ which is why I only have to wait just over a week for the appointment (normally it’s 4/5 weeks).

I’m relieved that at least I now know it won’t be long until I get to see someone and the local breast clinic is one of the one-stop-shop clinics, so they do as many tests as possible on the same day. I feel very fortunate that I don’t have to wait long. Reading some of the other messages has really made me appreciate the speed with which I’ve been referred. Plus all the booklets I have downloaded and read are excellent - thank you BCC!

As so many people have already said - the waiting is the worst part, so I am trying to keep myself occupied so as not to dwell on it too much.

Thanks again for the nice welcome messages everyone!

Kim x

Hi

Have been reading your posts and glad you have an appointment now.

I went to my GP 6 weeks ago, initially he could not find anything and had to return to four weeks later, at that appointment he could find a small lump. He said that I would be referred to the hospital.

Within a week I received an appointment and went yesterday and saw a general surgeon, had a quick examination and he said he could feel a thickening but did not think it was anything to worrow about. I was however sent for a mammorgram and ultrasound, the upshot being I had a benign cyst, which was taken out there and then.

I am a tiny bit sore but otherwise excellent, I hope your appointment is as positive as mine, wish you luck

Beezers

Hi Beezers,

My GP is convinced it isn’t a cyst and that’s why she referred me but I am doing my best to be positive - it maybe a lump but it might be benign. However I am swinging between being determinedly positive and feeling very scared about what it might be.

I’m very relieved to have found you all on BCC because I live a long, long way from all my family and friends, and don’t really have anyone to talk to right now. Plus it doesn’t help that stupid broadband keeps going off! My husband is doing his best to support me but he suffers from chronic severe depression so he’s having problems being positive for me. He feels very guilty about that poor thing, but he can’t help being ill any more than I can.

Anyhow thanks for your positive words. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I get a similar result to yours! At least I won’t have to wait too long to find out.

Kim xx

Soooo, my appointment is first thing on Monday morning. I’ve downloaded the very helpful pdf about what happens at a referral clinic but I was wondering if anyone had any other advice? I read that quite a few people seem to only get a verbal dx, is it okay to ask the doctor to write it all down for me to take away? When I was dx with vasculitis I got a letter but when I was dx with epilepsy the neuro just explained it all. I am worried that I will forget to ask something important as I seem to be so scatty at the moment.

My husband is coming with me but whilst it will be good to have the moral support I’m not sure how much use he is going to be at anything other than holding my hand. He’s doing his best, but he suffers from a chronic depressive/anxiety disorder and is currently going through a down phase, so not on his best form right now. I’m already having to deal with being strong for both of us and if it’s less than good news I’m worried that the stress of it will be too much for him let alone me.

I’ve not really slept well since seeing my GP. I have been panicking about the dreaded unknown. When I went to see my GP it was because I had found what I thought was quite a small lump but subsequently I’ve realised that it is quite a lot larger and this has sent my head spinning. I think I’ll be breaking out the sleeping pills tonight! :slight_smile:

Sorry that’s a bit of a waffle!

Kim x