cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member.......waiting for surgery

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New member.......waiting for surgery

Good luck nanniereeree,

i had my mx and expander one yesterday and seem to be doing okay, the cosmetic surgeon was very surprised at how well I looked he he saw me 6 hours after op......apparently the nurses who came on duty last night thought someone was mistaken and I had really had it the day before so I'm hoping that's a good sign for a quick recovery!

Hi Katebil,
I am also having full mx on the 25th March asked about reconstruction and was advised against it straight away as am having a SNB at the same time and if other treatment is needed afterwards it could cause problems. I am very lucky have a very good BC team who seem to be on top of everything.
Marie

Hi Kate, good luck with your journey....I had a mastectomy in 2010 and was 'given' an implant which was expandable as I had to have radiotherapy...........but it never got expanded properly. I had terrible problems with cellulitis and had to have fluid drained of on at least three occassions so it was removed. I then had radio then had reconstructive surgery in 2011 and have now developed lymphoedema which I am trying to manage. From a distance I look 'normal' on closer examination I look like a patchwork quilt lol I now realising it is three years ffs it gone so fast and I still here stronger and 'fit'. I am not sure (cause I a nurse, tho psychiatric !!) on reflection would I change anything........probably not but I dont like to look back.........moving forward all the time as you will be

hi
i had a mastectomy and anc on tuesday this week and i could have had reconstructive surgery but it meant i would have to wait a bit longer for the surgeons and plastic surgeons to get all their info to do 2 jobs instaed of one. i opted for one job at a time so i was in quicker. i think its just the extra time needed for the two of them to be able to work together, both having their own different tests and tasks.
good luck and big smiles
angiepops xx

Hi Kate

Welcome to the BCC forums where you will soon recieve lots of support and information from your fellow users. In addition our helpliners are on hand 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat so please feel free to call to talk through any concerns on 0808 800 6000

The following link will take you to the BCC 'Just diagnosed' page where you will find further support ideas such as our 'One to one' email and telephone support services:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=diagnosis

Take care

Lucy

New member.......waiting for surgery

Hi,
having gone to my GP with a very painful breast and lump in January I was told in mid Feb I have breast cancer. simce then i have had an MRI and another biopsy (the original 5 werent enough to be sure what was what!) and have been told i have 2 areas of cancer in the same breast so I need to have a mastectomy......after many conversations with the breast surgeon and a cosmetic surgeon I am scheduled for mastectomy and expandable implant on 21st March. I can't have full reconstruction until they know if I need radiotherapy or not. Is this delay normal or am I just too complex needing so many tests?
Kate