New on here, insomniac and fearfully starting chemo tomorrow

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello as I have finally joined your forum, having been a voyeur for the past few weeks! It seems a really positive friendly place to be.  

I am due to start chemo tomorrow (3 x FEC followed by 3 x Docetaxel) so will no doubt be joining in the monthly chemo threads.  I am more than a little concerned because, having had long-term insomnia for approx 26 years, this BC is obviously not helping and I am feeling a little run-down before I even start my chemo eg glands up in throat, some mouth ulcers etc.  Just wondered if others have been in a similar position and still managed to get through it? 

Hope this doesn’t sound too negative as I am really trying to work on relaxation, positive thinking and getting through this battle as unscathed as possible!

Any advice much appreciated x

Hi JuSt and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will find support and shared experiences

In addition our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000 so do feel free to call with any concerns weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

You may find some of the information and support ideas via this link to the treatments section of the site helpful over the comings months:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Please also join a thread relating to your start of treatment if you wish, here’s the link to the threads started:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/bd-p/Chemotherapy_monthy_threads

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi JuSt and welcome to the forum!

The time just before starting chemo is really daunting - I still remember how terrified I was on that first day at the unit. I am quite an anxious person anyway and built chemo up to be this terrible, fearful ordeal.

I was so surprised after the first session that I actually felt fine - I went home and ate dinner as normal. The medication they give you is so good - I wasn’t sick through the entire 6 sessions (like you, 3 x FEC and 3 x Docetaxel).

There are obviously side effects, some worse than others, but chemo is definitely doable. I found FEC much easier than Docetaxel - my advice for FEC is to eat whenever you feel any pangs of nausea. It reminded me of a hangover, I felt a bit wobbly but the minute I ate I felt much better.

Docetaxel bought aches and pains, but I soon learnt to dose myself up with ibuprofen and paracetamol for the first few days after treatment and managed fine on that.

One last thing - I kept a diary for the first 7-10 days after each treatment. I noted down my temperature and any side effects I felt that day. That way when I saw the oncologist in week 3 I could remember all the things I perhaps needed some additional medication for (like mouthwash for a sore mouth). In week 3 you tend to feel so much better you can forget how you were feeling from days 1-10.

Any questions you have, please don’t hesitate to shout. Good luck, you’ll be fine!!

K xx