cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New problems having been complacent....?problem hand forever

11 REPLIES 11
Atat

Re: New problems having been complacent....?problem hand forever

PS. Doe s your garment actually reduce the swelling in your hand?

Atat

Atat

Hi

i went on Thursday. She agreed that the fitting was wrong and that it was the manufacturer’s error.  She’s now suggesting a have a sleeve and separate glove again but with the glove extending further up the forearm, off the shelf not made to measure. The prescrition will go to GP until tomorrow as secretary is part time and not at work until then.

in the meantime she suggesting I wear my old sleeve and glove despising them making it worse. I’ve never had to do the massage as previous I only had very slight swelling at elbow and near armpit.  I have an idea how to do it.  I’m also able to shift it a bit from back of hand with massage. I’m sure my fingers are getting swollen.   It’s a nightnmore.  I know I must get a grip on things but it’s hard.   I want to go on my hol in May but don’t want it to be made worse by flight.  

whitelily

My separate glove and hand used to have the same effect. Hopefully she will help when you see her on Thursday. I would advise that you try to wear something and do some simple lymphatic massage in between if you normally do this x 

whitelily

Hi I would say you need class 2 as class 1 is not robust enough in my opinion. I don't think she has measured correctly. Sometimes if its tighter at the wrist it can cause the tourniquet effect making the hand worse. If you are flying soon on holiday you need it right and to feel comfortable so as not to make it worse. If you are paying privately then she should do it again until it is right x 

Atat

It’s also all in one, but the crease at back of wrist is worse when I wear it so something is wrong 

Atat

Atat

Thanks for getting back to me.  It says CCL 1 on garment and paperwork’s says 15-21 mmHg. PCS 1. So I guess that’s class 1.  It is made to measure. 

Im going to London for a few days, don’t know what to do since it’s making it worse.  Also my old sleeve and separate glove have same effect.  LSN said I should wear something but how can I

iim seeing the lymphoedema person next Thurs. 

the swelling seems to be less when I wake. I desperately want the right garment ASAP. If I had I might not feel so emotional about it all. I fly to Corfu in May and to Boston in Sept

Atat

whitelily

Hi if it is made to measure and all in one it should help. Maybe as sometimes happens the swelling is being pushed together in one place by the pressure of the garment. Is it a class 2? 

Atat

Thanks for your message.  My all in one garment has arrived.  A nightmare to put on.  I ve been told to wear it for a couple of hours each day.   Yesterday Wasnt too bad but I’ve just taken it offf and swelling on back of hand looks worse. I’ve rung in, lymphoedema nurse away. (That’s private as NHS couldn’t see me until early May).   I don’t really know what to do.  Guess I’m better to leave it off

Atat

whitelily

I have made to measure garments and I think that is the most effective way to control hand swelling. Hopefully these will help you and as the swelling is quite new should improve it quite quickly. It is a case of trying different garments though as it took me a while to get the right one. Best to have an all in one garment in my case x  

Atat

Many thanks, Whitelily.  I guess I’ll know more when my new garment comes and I can see how the swelling reacts.  I don’t know how I’m going to get it on.   

Atat

whitelily

Hi Atat don't beat yourself up or blame yourself. Unfortunately once it is in one place it can then develop in another part of the arm. Mine started in hand and then developed in elbow which has remained the same now for 4 years though it has improved with continued compression. It is difficult to say if it will be permanent though you will probably have to wear some compression on your hand now to control it. It is unfair what we have to deal with I have had a clinic appointment today for new compression it is never ending and does get you down those who don't have it don't understand. Come on here to chat whenever you need to x 

Atat

New problems having been complacent....?problem hand forever

Hi

ive posted on the forum in the past.   Had my surgery back in 2014.   Mild lymphoedema near elbow since.  Have been very careful up to now, have travelled o New Zealand Namibia etc. No problems, just wearing sleeve and glove on flights, long coach Travel.   At home, just worn sleeve for heavier activities Etc.   Then the other day I took towels out of wash, quite heavy as I didn’t have time to then do a fast spin with no sleeve, al so moved heavy concertina file. I now have lymphoedema in hand and forearm.  Really upset about it.  All because I’d got out of the habit of putting sleeve on.   I’ve had to see lympho nurse privately as 2 month NHS wait,(the story of my life!!) to be remeasured etc.   I’m to have an full length arm and hand garment, made to measure. Will take a couple of weeks to arrive.   My fingers apart from being cold are quite pale compared with other side

With this swelling in hand etc be permanent now?  Will I always have to wear this type of garment. 

Atat