New to BC

Hi, never used a forum before except to browse. Diagnosed a week ago and having a mastectomy on the 10th Nov. 39 years old with 3 children, the oldest is finding it hardest at 10 and she is very sensitive. I have read the book “Mummy’s Lump” which i found very good at explaining in simple terms to the children. i also have given her a special book for her to write in, ask questions, which she leaves on my bed if she wants me to read and answer her.

Hi Tankgirl, I too am 39 (just turned couple weeks back). Diagnosed tuesday. I have one daughter, she is 18 and is finding is tough at times too.

Seems unfair but being on here we know we are not alone.

Ann
X

do you know if you are having an op soon?
I have never had an op in my life, and hospital only when having the children. Kids are being fantastic and drawing me loads of cards and pictures to take with me.

Don’t know my op date yet, wish I did. Another biopsy tuesday then wait for date to get all results from scan etc. This waiting game is stressful.

At my appt last tuesday I was told I will get treatment plan when all results are in.

How old are your children?

I am never ill, last time I was in hospital overnight was years and years ago.

Ann
X

TankgirlI am so sorry to see you need to use these Forums. You must be in such shock at the moment. Everything is so unreal at first. You wonder how you can do normal activities and appear normal to others. It is do hard when you have lovely children. It is a long haul but you will get there. The Forums are such a support to all who use them. The group of people relate to are the " starting Chemotherapy in August " group . We are all such friends now and it is a comfort to hear the odd side effect one might have is happening at the same stage and time to somebody else.

Have you contacted the Helpline or asked for peer support. They apply to your husband as well as you. My other half has been put in touch with a husband of somebody who had the same treatment as me. He found it very worthwhile
You might not want to do these things right now, but they are there if you do want them at any time.
I notice somebody else " fairey " has also started a newly diagnosed thread, it might be good to tune into it.
It is horrible now but you will get there. The numbness does go but you will have bad days. On the other hand you will have a lot more good days. The "Waiting Room "and the unknown are the worst stages.
I so hope all goes well and you get your treatment plan soon
Big Hug
Cackles xx

hi i am 50 and have had my first mammogram due to my age. i got re-called and bc has been diagonised. i am having a sentinel lymph node biopsy at the end of november. i have invasive ductal cancer grade 2. i feel well apart from aching in my arm which frightens me i have to admit. can anyone offer any advice please? xxx

hi, i have 2 girls 10 an 8 and a boy of 2 and a half. Ten year old is the more sensitive one, but i have been as truthfull as i can without the gory details. we live in a small community and was afraid of someone mentioning it to her.
i’ve had a core biopsy but no scans, few people have mentioned scans so not sure if you have them as standard? everyone also seems to know size of lumps etc, but i have no idea?! Only that i need amx and then probably chemo.

Hi Cackles, thanks for your kind words. I think once my treatment plan is in place I will settle within myself a bit more. These forums are fab.

Lambie, sorry to hear your going through this too. Hopefully someone will be able to offer advice re pain in arm.

Tankgirl, I am not sure if scans are standard. The only info I know is that the fluid I had extracted from the lump in my breast showed cancer cells and the fluid from the lump under my arm didn’t. I had biopsy on lump in breast and having biopsy on lump under arm tuesday. Don’t even know what type I have.

What’s the next step for you? Is it your mx on the 10th?

Hi tankgirl,
I’m 44 and have an mx booked for 8th Nov with full axillary node clearance. I have been feeling quite calm but am starting worry. Like u, apart from kids, - I have 3 , have never had surgery. I rarely even do colds so this is a bit of a shock. I have found such support on here though, there is always some one who has an answer to those late night questions.
I like the book idea for ur daughter to write in,
All the best
herbi

Ive had quite a few surgeries and General Anaesthetics - really nothing to worry about honest, theatre staff although you hardly see them except in the anaesthetic room are wonderfully skilful people,but I know the fear of the unknown is awful for anyone.

I dread the whole of the next 12 months and I am still going through the various emotions.

Annq- yes mx on the 10th with full axillary node clearance, but go in on 9th as we live so far away from hospital. My Sister is a theatre sister, but not in the hospital i am going to and she is coming with me, husband staying at home with kids so to keep it as normal as possible for them. going to my first bc group on wed night so hopefully will find some answers there too. only breast lumps were biopsied, have one under my arm that they are removing too to be on the safe side.
don’t know about you but i can’t wait to go in and get the ball rolling.
speak soon
joyce

Hi Joyce, good to hear you have your sis. I agree with what you say about keeping it as normal for your children as can be.

I defo wish my ball would start rolling soon lol. Not good at playing the waiting game. I had a little wobble yesterday morning so the quicker my treatment starts the better.

Good to know I am not alone facing this horrible time though, so many of us on here.

Off out to do some shopping with my mum and daughter. She is off on hols this week.

Dull rainy day here today.

herbi- good luck with your op on the 8th! won’t be far behind you.

libralady- thanks for that, i was more worried about the anasthetic than the surgery. we are all with you for the next twelve months and beyond…

lambie - my arm is aching and i am constantly tired, but lost 2 nights of sleep when waiting for results and have active 2 year old!!
he doesn’t understand and i do feel bad not being able to do as much.