New to Secondary Cancer

Well here I am again after 6 years back on the BCC forum. Having thought I had beat the big C after being diagnosed and treated over 6 years ago it has come and bit me in the the spine and hips. I am only gratfeful I had an annual review with my onco consulant booked via private insurance as GP referred me for chest physio which was due to start on 9 Jul! Hate to think when NHS would have got round to CT scan and diagnosis. I am still waiting for diagnosis on chest CT scan and it is this which is really affecting my quality of life. Have been prescribed Denosumab injections initially. I also has a precancerous polyp removed from my bowel in Novenber 12 (thanks to national bowel screening program). Due to retire at the end of June, good way to start life of leisure. Got to keep smiling.

Hi Nythejan,

Sorry to hear of your latest problems, but welcome back to the forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from your fellow forum users. If you would like to talk to someone in confidence then please do give the helpline here a ring 0808 800 6000. I have also put for you below the link to some of our publications you might find helpful. As well as this you might find our Secondary Live Chat service useful where you can talk in real time to others, this runs each Tuesday evening between 8.30 and 9.30 p.m. I will put you the link below for you to have a look at.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-breast-cancer-bcc58

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-breast-cancer-bone-bcc30

Live chat: breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi nythejan
Just wanted say hello I am also new to all this just made my first posts. I had also just reached retirement and have had to deal with a double whammy dx. So I know how you feel. I’ts really scarey but I am a little calmer now.
Mara

Hi all
Went for scans yesterday, results in two weeks. Fingers crossed

sorry to hear of your dx…really scary and confusimg at first.I was dx age 58 in May 2009 with secondary cancer (had no primary dx) with spread to pelvis, spine,ribs,femur,lymph nodes and I only went to GP with a bad back…not the result I had expected.I had been stable for 2 years following after having chemo,radiotherapy,surgery and being on homone therapy and then last December was dx with spread to liver so an now on exestemane/everolimus combo.My last bone scan showed improvement in the spine and my last ct scan showed liver mets had reduced.
I do have mobility problems but these are caused by arthritis so need a crutch to walk and have invested in a mobility scooter…but this does not prevent me from living a fairly normal life.We have moved to the south coast and just 5 minutes from the sea and manage to go out for meals,trips to the theatre and cinema,short breaks away…in fact everything we planned to do in retirement finances allowing.

If you look in the secondaries section on the left hand side and look under living with breast cancer you will find a thread “bone mets please join in”. It is a very long thread but you will find lots of ladies posting on there and it is a great source of information and support.

So sorry you have all had to join us,but you will find lots of support on the forum.hope you all have your treatment plans soon as this really helps in coming to terms with dx.

Lxx

Hi Nythejan,

I have secondaries to my spine and have just had radiotherapy and am going to start Bisphosphates next week. good luck with scan results. I know how you feel and wish you well. Keep smiling xx

Thanks for all your comments and add Everolimus to the Examestane that I am now taking, plus referring me to a chest consultant to see what can be done to improve localised lung collapse which they belive is due to recurrent breast cancer.
What he does not know yet, as I have only just found out, is that I also have Whooping Cough.
Happy Days.
Jan