Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to site and worried sick!

16 REPLIES 16
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: New to site and worried sick!

Jan1ne

I was in your exact situation only 1 week age.

After a scan and biopsy, I was diagnosed on 13th April with a 'small tumour, about 14mm, caught early so probably no further treatment needed'

I chose a Mastectomy as I didnt want the bother of Radio treatment afterwards.

I had the Mx on 10th May and results of Sentinal Nodes on 20thMay.

Oh Dear! Out of the 3 nodes they harvested, 1 showed that the cancer had spread. I changed from Grade 2 to Grade 3 and the tumour removed was 21mm (50% gain in 1 month, impressive eh?)

Back on the 24th May for Ancillary Node removal.

Before I got these results I had already decided the news would be bad.

I was totally wrong.

That 1 rogue node is the only one they found. I still have to have Chemo as a precaution but I DONT HAVE CANCER anymore. AND YOU WILL BE THE SAME I am sure.

I start the poisons regime on 22nd June, I'd like to keep in touch, if you would be willing, and we could support each other

Please come down to the Dark Dark Woods sometime (look for the thread) the girls there will certainly raise your spirits.

Love and (((HUGS)))
June

PS I am in Durham, where are you?

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry Anne I missed your post I hope you too get more peace of mind come Tuesday these are the worse times its the not knowing & waiting for results, I think we all had the sleepless nights & just feeling so scared with all the thoughts that go through your head. I found listening to relaxation & meditation CD's during these times so helpfull theres some great ones on youtube to, may just help to relax you a little.

much love
Mekala x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Im quite lucky that I found my surgeon & onc really good & confident. I found as each appointment came round I wrote all the questions I wanted to ask down on paper as they popped into my head.

Until Pathology have the results back from your last op you will be in the dark, but its not always as bad as we imagine & as it has been said already there are many who come through the other side even when its in the nodes. You'll find you'll feel a little better once you have all the details & a treatment plan in place. These early days with all the uncertainty & appointments are the most nerve racking but it does get better.

There is always someone here to talk with when you feel really low or just want to let off steam. The helpline is marvelous too. You can always call your breast nurse to ask questions if you find anything troubling you. Even if you feel its something silly, there is nothing like a silly question

much love
Mekala x

Guest user
Not applicable

It's the birthday girl here, just wanting you all to know that today is good! Already had a glass of wine and lunch with my family so starting as I mean to go on. I think it's true that the waiting is harder to cope with than tackling the treatment head on. We seem to be so lost whilst waiting for the diagnosis with no direction to keep us going. Once the diagnosis has been given and I and all the others out there know what we are facing I'm know we will have the strength and courage to get through this xx

Guest user
Not applicable

ps. its friday. what better excuse 4 a vino or 2?

Guest user
Not applicable

hi anne, sorry u having a rubbish time at the mo. never apologize for saying how u feel! we probably all have scared, moany moments! wishing u love and luck alex xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Jan1ne. You sound as if you have a very positive spirit. I have just realised I should have started a new thread with my erratic whinge. Shows how ignorant I am about netiquette. Perhaps I should follow your example and have a glass of wine. I wish you all the best.

amber32002

Jan1ne, I'm not any sort of doctor - just someone who's found a nifty online tool for calculating things, and from what I see you have at least a 9 in 10 chance of longer term success even on the old data. If that helps. Not that it's very scientific without the precise details of how many nodes might have it, or what its ER HER status is etc. They're able to tell more when they know more themselves and tend to be a bit quiet until then, I found.
Meantime, rest, relax all you can, keep talking with us
Ann x

oldandlumpy

seems to me the posative ones are those that have started treatment and the ones that are freaking out with worry are those who are still waiting for the first visit to the breast clinic, or waiting for results of furthur tests.

thank the lord those more experianced ladies are on this site talking sense into us and giving support.

glad someone else is resorting to wine--I got my wrists severly slapped by someone on one of the other posts when I said I still enjoy a tipple.

By the way--happy birthday

Guest user
Not applicable

I too am worried sick. Had 3.5 cm tumour grade 3 with 1 positive node and some vascular involvement. They also found 4 small satellite tumours at the same time. When the surgeon told me he played it down saying better to have grade 3 with only one node and the vascular involvement was only related to regional recurrence and I had had a mastectomy. I know this is not entirely accurate. I see the onc on Tuesday. I cannot sleep or concentrate. My husband is so supportive but he had a kidney transplant 18 months ago. We have a 15 and 17 year old who are doing exams now. I read such positive people on this site but I don't feel very positive at the moment.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Hoping, preying and crossing everything that the results wont be too bad on Wednesday but just can't shake the feelings of desperation! What a birthday eh? May need copious amounts of alcohol to get through this birthday (a bit like all my others actually!). Feel physically great even after 2 lots of surgery with no aches or pains so am hanging on to the thought that it has not settled anywhere else. 6 sleeps and counting......

Lucy_BCC

Hi Jan1ne and welcome to the BCC forums

Please do call our helpline to talk your concerns over with one of our team on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 Sat.

We have published a resource pack designed for those newly diagnosed which you may find useful, you can read or order a copy via this link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/diagnosed-with-breast-cance...

Take care
Lucy

oldandlumpy

So sad to hear you news and feel for you thrashing around in the dark waiting for wednesday.

I cannot give you light about what the prognosis will be because I am not knowledgable enough about different grades, and it seems that everone is different anyway. But from reading what everybody else has posted it seems to be that the light at the end of the tunnel is that wednesday will come, you will be given the facts about your condition and planned treatment and that you will be able to cope with it.

I am sure there will be people along who have been in a similar postion soon, who can reassure you, but what a rotten way to spend your birthday. I hope you are not going to stay by yourself tomorrow night, I hope there is someone you can be with.

A lot of people get good information from the helpline, and you might want to ring them, or as your thoughts go round and round, come back on here and ask more questions, rant--whatever helps.

elaine_r

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tommorow

Try and not stress to much take each day as it cums everyday is a better day

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan1ne!

I've had the same experience. My onc was a grumpy git who seemed so pessimistic! I was hoping for the same stats lots of girls have been given on this site (93% of non-recurrence) etc - but just got lots of doom and gloom...

However, my breast care nurse and other doctors I've spoken to have been much more upbeat and positive!!

I'm 33, my lump is anywhere between 2.5cm and 10cm and it has spread to my lymph nodes. However, I am being treated with an aim to cure (obviously no guarantees) not just to be treated.

There is some statistical programme that your onc can give you a prognosis from - but it's based on studies of women over the past 10 years with the same grade, stage, type and size of tumour - so hopefully, with medicine having moved on, your prognosis would be better than this anyway. If you really want some numbers I am sure you can lean on your onc for this. I pushed mine, and he relented and said he'd give me the figures, and then I chickened out in case they weren't very high as I thought he might have been a bit more forthcoming if he'd been a bit more optimistic! Ha!! Let me know if you decide to do it and then maybe I'll get braver too!!

x

Midge

Hi

Sorry you have had to join us. Sometimes doctors are so frightened of giving us false hope that they end out giving us no hope. Many women are successfully treated for breast cancer, even when it has spread to their lymph nodes. You are on a steep learning curve and it will take time to adjust to your dx. Grade 3 is not unusual as you are a younger women. There are lots on this forum in your situation. No one can take your anxiety away, but be kind to yourself and be honest about how you feel, you have had an almighty shock.

Keep posting

Happy birthday for tomorrow.

Take care

Debx

Guest user
Not applicable

New to site and worried sick!

I'm 43 tomorrow and found a lump 7 weeks ago. Had a mammogram and ultrasound and consultant confirmed I had a 3cm lump. He told me it was breast cancer and that it was treatable. Had lump removed 2 weeks ago along with sentinel node biopsy and results came back that the tumor had been removed with clear margins but the cancer was grade 3 and had spread. Had op on Monday for full clearance and am now waiting for results next wednesday. I'm so worried as no one will give me any idea as to how serious this is! I know the grade is not the only thing to worry about but I'm struggling to cling on to any hope in this as my consultant offers no optimism and yet the breast nurses seem so upbeat when I tell them my concerns! Can anyone offer my a light at the end of the tunnel??