New to site

Hello, I was diagnosed march 5th 2013, was in shock as I had convinced myself it was just another cyst. The most difficult thing to grasp is that there is something wrong with me, but I don’t feel ill. My husband and daughter recently had colds and coughs that hung around for a week whereas I had a bit of a runny nose for 2 days! I just dont do illness (a trait of my mothers). i saw the oncologist today for the first time, this has made it much more real. Tomorrow I’m having a ct scan and a bone scan. Oncologist said I have a tumour of 16mm and grade 1 cancer also present in a lymph node (this was from two biopsies), but he didn’t have the results regarding hormone receptors and said he would get them ASAP. As long as scans are okay I think I’m looking at surgery first followed by chemo. So many bits of random information floating round my head there seems such a lot to take in. I have been reading other posts and it is a comfort to know I’m not the only one going through this. Sending out positive vibes to you all!

Hi Lexi,
Welcome to the club that no-one wants to join. I’m sorry you find yourself here, but this is a good place to be for advice, support and friendship. Hang on to the notion that you are never ill when all around you fall like flies. This may stand you in good stead when the time comes to face the perils of chemo side effects!

if you are the sort of person that likes to be in control of your own illness please ask for a copy of your biopsy path report, and later on a copy of your surgery path report. In my experience, nurses and consultants filter out any information they feel you don’t need to know, and tend to summarise the bits you do need to know. The path reports will have it all. Your GP can download a copy for you, or your BCN. You will then know exactly what you are dealing with.

Good luck with your scans tomorrow xxx

Thanks Lola, I must admit I didn’t give my GP a second thought. I will take your advice though and seek out reports. you’re right I do like to be in control.

Lexi Hi I am just about to go through the same as yourself CT can etc., and I too am not a happy bunny but I know it has to be done before my surgery which is soon you are probably feeling like me just up and down with your moods and feeling sick sometimes. Thank god I had my cousin with me who had been through the same thing and she managed to take in the things I had forgotten as you know it feels like you are on a merry go roung and can t get off at the moment but she has been there a real comfort to me she was signed off three years ago this year so she knows what I am feeling at the moment now she only has to just go back every few years for check ups so that is something do keep in touch as we are just about to start that long journey God bless xxx

Hi Assisi, nice to hear from you. I found the scans okay, the most annoying thing is the waiting, then of course there’s the lying still which is quite difficult when your nervous. Anyway I’ve had a good weekend, facing the next week with gusto!!! Trying to carry on as normal, so work tomorrow. Then on Thursday it’s back to the oncologist again. We can get through this. Best wishes. A.