New to the forum and had a wide local excision

Hi all.

Had a wide local excision, sentinel node biopsy and therapeutic mammoplasty done on 17th April 2014.

My question is I have tried about 3 different types of bras including a sports bra, non wired, taking the wire out of a bra I was using before surgery and also using a bra extender all without much success. Some days I can’t bear it anywhere near me as too tender around under the bust or my shoulder (same side as op) is too tender for the shoulder strap. To me bras are like torture devices! The nurse who took my outer dressing off and left me with steri strips on all my stitches (in 3 different areas) said my surgeon likes you to wear one. Well that’s all well and good but I feel more comfortable without one and I don’t want to get depressed from having to wear one and feel in agony all day!

What is everyone’s opinion/advice?

Hi Debshady,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will soon get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications you might find helpful.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-prostheses-bras-clothes-after-surgery-bcc123

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Debshady,

I found some good sports bras and non-wired bras in M&S. I bought ones that were one size bigger than I normally wear (both cup and back size) and found if I extended the straps they were surprisingly comfortable to wear - and don’t look too bad either. 

Hope this helps and you find something suitable.

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. Have managed to get a Belvia bra from wilkinsons which is the most comfortable so far. Although can’t wait to take this off either having worn it for about 5 hours.

Deb

Hi debshady,
When I had my wle I used sport type bras from primary & the vest tops that they do with ‘built in’ support xx

Primark!