New to this elite club - just wanted to say hi

Hi, I am 46 and was told I had breast cancer that was also in the lymph nodes on 18th jan. A couple of hotspots (lung & spine) showed up on ct/bone scans that need further checking. Start chemo on tues 5th feb and not in least bit organised for it, no hair cut, no wig or headscarves, in fact no nothing!
All still a bit surreal, but this new adventure is definitely about to kick off big time.
Amanda

Hello aml-Mandy

Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Amanda,
Sorry you find yourself here, but welcome, you will make lots of friends and get lots of help along the way. Dont worry too much about not having organised yourself yet, although I would advise getting your hair cut as short as you dare before your chemo if you are having the cold cap.
As for wig fitting, you can do that a couple of weeks later … most people find that in the 3rd week of the chemo cycle they feel relatively normal and you will be able to do it then if you cant fit it in now. If you do lose any hair, it doesnt usually happen for 3 -4 weeks anyway.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the further tests are clear
Sending virtuals hugs <<<<< >>>>>>

Thanks nannabarb
never joined a forum before but after spending all weekend reading lots of wonderful posts, I just felt I wanted to.
I am going to try the cold cap, but re wig and haircut I am really quite stressed re timing, I have appt Monday afternoon for wig fitting, BCN advised not getting haircut before this, but this leaves no time for haircut before chemo starts and I am nervous about visiting hairdressers once chemo has begun. first one of many stressful situs to come i am sure, lol

Hi I am 43 and was diagnoised the week before Christmas in total shock. Things have moved really quick for me and I start Chemo today 4 Fec & 4 Tax then lump removed and rads. Wow what a roller coaster of a journey. I have been reading all the posts for a while now and thought that its about time I joined the club! I had my hair clipped yesterday as I thought it would be easier for me to deal with before it starts falling out and it really dosen’t look that bad!!
Good luck to all that also start today

Annabelle x

Go cherabel
good luck with your chemo today, it definitely is a rollercoaster isnt it? And its all happening so fast, which I know is really good but it also kinda adds to the panic!

Should say hi, not go cherabel, I am rubbish at typing on this phone, lol

I’m new here too & have joined for exactly the same reasons… Brilliant site/forum. Good luck to you all with treatment. I have had 2 WLEs and ANC (7/14 affected) since diagnosis in Dec… Next step is chemo starting hopefully (in a weird sort of way) end of Feb or beginning of March. Hope all goes well for you.

Annabelle-hope chemo went ok and you are not feeling too badly!
Hi Caroline, crazy days isn’t it!
This site has been a great way for me to focus on something and help to pass some of these anxious times. I now have got my hair cut short, a friend has bought me a silk pillowcase and I have stocked up on diarrhoea tablets, lol, so hopefully ready for first chemo on Tuesday! Truth be told though I am really not that nervous about starting it, I am more anxious to find out what is going on in my bones and lung!
X

Crazy times indeed! Good luck for Tuesday. I have my follow up appt on 18th. What I find amazing is that each of our experiences and treatment plans are so different. Makes me have even greater respect and admiration for the doctors and nurses looking after us. They just won’t accept a ‘one plan suits all’ solution… we are so lucky really and I have to trust that they know what they are doing and working tirelessly in OUR interests. Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Cx

Hi ladies,
Just popping in to say there is a brill group of Valentines, all starting chemo in February/late January/early March if you would like to join in. Look for the Starting Chemo in February thread.
Good luck everyone xxxx

Hi and good luck to you all and your treatments.
xx

Hi everyone a secondary ladie here Just wanted to wish all the newbies gd Luck and kp posting this is a great friendly site us ladies no most things tc all Laura x

Posted on behalf of new user Tracey. - Jo, Facilitator

Hi all, just been diagnosed this week, just getting head round it all, with love Tracey xxx

Hello All, I’m new too and just wanted to say hello. Its really great to hear from other people who have been through it or are going through it now. I’m not sure exactly what next few months will be like for me, but good luck to everyone starting chemo in next while.
I found a lump in my armpit and had my first visit to the breast clinic on 2 Jan, initially was diagnosed with DCIS but further lymph biopsy came back positive so looks like diagnosis will change. I’m having WLE and lymph clearance on Thursday 7 Feb and then will have to wait for pathology results and CT and bone scan results. I’ve been feelng okay about it all - I think there have been so many appointments that it has knd of kept me going just focusing on the next one. I had a bit of a wobble last week when got the lymph results, but now I’m just glad thing are moving on.

Hi Panacea, Tracey, Laura and dzyre & welcome. It seems like we are all at the early stages of diagnosis, so very uncertain times at the moment but I am sure all will become clearer in the weeks to come. I seem to go from being super strong to mega weak and sometimes the smallest things can trip me up. Good luck with the chemo tomorrow Amanda (aml46). I am getting ready for chemo slowly but have at least booked a wig consultation for 1st March. I have short hair anyway but think i will still miss it when the time comes.

Hi Panacea

Good luck with your WLE and lymph clearance on Thursday. Hope your CT and bone scan results come through quickly. Hugs

Poemsgalore xxx

Hello all, I’ve been taking much comfort from all the positive messages on this forum since I found it after my initial mammogram on 7th Jan, and after three weeks of what felt like constant appointments culminating in Mx and ANC, I find myself in limbo waiting for the histology results and treatment plan. I echo everyone on this site who says that waiting is the hardest part; brain working overtime (I never new I had such an imagination!).
Best wishes to all starting treatment this week,
Christine

Hello Caroline A, poemsgalore & everyone & Mungos_mum, hope you are all hanging in there. Is there usually a gap between deciding the treatment plan and actually getting started on chemo?
Caroline, I’m a bit up and down too, small things are more likely to set me off than the big stuff.
I had my op on Thursday and it all went okay, nurses and all the hospital staff were fantastic and even getting the wire put in was not as bad as I expected. I think I was probably a bit hyper, I couldn’t stop talking all day, I’m surprised they didn’t sedate me. The tramadol is now keeping the pain at bay so apart from being a bit wiped out I’m better than I expected. I’m hoping to get rid of the drain tomorrow and then its the waiting game again until the results come through.
I feel like one hurdle is over now, and thanks to everyone on the forum for sharing and being supportive, it made it a lot easier for me knowing that I’m not alone.
E-hugs to everyone.

Hi Panacea, had my mx and snb 12.12.12 and chemo started on 5.2.13 if that tells you anything. But I didn’t have a recon. Several ladies have had their dates put back due to needing further surgery, but if all goes well and is straight forward, you MIGHT be starting chemo (if you need it) by March/April. Wishing you good luck

hugs Pg xx