cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this site

4 REPLIES 4
Helenbythesea

Re: New to this site

Thanks - I have also looked at the one abput lymphoedema - as that is probably what is affecting my arm and implant. 

What can one do about reactive lymph glands?

Helenbythesea

Thank you for your reply - 2 things have struck me since signing up to the site -

1 yes you are right - family and friends need you to move on and sometmes that is easier said and acted than actually done. 

2. DCIS, the BC that I was diagnosed with has meant major surgery and fortunately nothing else - I know i am very lucky, and am very thankful,, but it does not remove the stuff etc - and others do not understand that either - they reckon once you've had the op you should be better!   Mind you - so did I!

Katykookabura

Hi Helen, welcome to this site. Like you I have been through treatment phase and started to then deal with "stuff" that I had shelved as well. I have read a lot of similar posts so I am sure some of the other ladies ( and gents) who have been on the cancer journey will respond saying the same.
I had two lots of surgery to get the little ' alien' out, radiotherapy and now on Anastrozole for another four years( done one year already). I think I am lucky compared to some others but each cancer journey is different and has its ups and downs . I just had my first mammogram and got the all clear so feel even more lucky now. What a journey ! Would not wish it on anyone. This website has been invaluable and kept me sane when I thought I was unable to cope anymore. Trouble is you can only talk about it so much to family and friends and as well meaning as most of them are they really have no idea what it is like to have the cancer diagnosis.
It sounds like you have a very positive attitude which will help and use this site to share your feelings and get tips from the others. Remember we live in 21st century and treatment for the big C has never been so good and new treatments are coming out all the time. Be strong , keep focused and good luck to you, take care, Katy.
Jo_BCC

Hi Helen,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/getting-fitter-feeling-stron...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/eat-well-keep-active-after-b...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Helenbythesea

New to this site

I was diagnosed with DCIS at my first mammogram.  since then life has been a roller coaster and I am emerging..Following 2 sets of biopsies, a decision to carry out a mastectomy with a reconstruction at the same time.  Lots of tears and laughter too. 

Now, January 2014, I know that the cancer has gone and that I am very lucky to not need other treatments apart from an annual mammogram.  What an adventure! But....

So now I feel as if I am dealing with the stuff that I put on one side while "dealing with it all"  I am aware of the implant - and concerned about rejecting it.  It can swell up if I do too much along with the affected arm -a couple of lymph glands were removed too.  The physio put my exercises on hold before Christmas but as the operation was on my dominant side I am frustrated when trying to use my arm but discovering very little strength there.  Everyone says "little steps" and take your time. - but I have discovered I am not very patient!  Anyway, at my last appointment I am now taking my arm to the vertical - so movement is almost back.  The next step I assume will be lifting, pushing and pulling.