New to this site

Hello, I,m new here.
I live abroad and I,ve recently had a mastectomy and reconstruction. At the moment I am halfway through my chemotherapy. The aftercare here (Turkey) is non existant and I rely on what I read on the internet.
I have one question at the moment, I recently started to get mouth ulcers and the sides of my tongue at the back are tender when I eat. Is this a normal side effect of chemotherapy?

AslansMum

AsiansMumn -yes mouth ulcers and a sore mouth can be a typical side effect of chemo. Try using a mouthwash several times a day. I find it helps. I use Corsodyl.

I am sure others will come on to this thread with other ideas. I have heard pineapple helps sooth the mouth

Good luck in your bc journehy

Sharon x

Dear Aslansmum

Welcome to the forums where I am sure you will continue to receive valuable information and support from your fellow forum users.

Breast Cancer Care have published a booklet which contains information about chemotherapy side effects which you may find helpful to read. You can read the booklet ‘Chemotherapy for breast cancer’ via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/chemotherapy_finalbookletnov04_0.pdf

To access our full range of publications available to read online, please go to our homepage, click on the ‘Information’ tab then ‘Publications’.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Best wishes

Lucy
Breast Cancer Care

hello when i was on chemo i had the most horendous ulcers and such a vile taste im my mouth all the time, i found that mouthwashes did help also teething jelly! when they were very bad i could only eat jelly through a straw!!! try to suck ice cubes as that numbs the pain, i hope this helps a bit take care love lynn xx

Hello AsiansMum

I used Difflam mouthwash - you probably won’t have the same name in Turkey - it’s Benzydamine hydrochloride - and it did help the mouth pain.

I also bought a gel for the ulcers which was a great help too.
Good luck
Love Anthi

I find soluble paracetamol really helpful, and saltwater mouthwashes too.

F
xxxx

Thank you for that link Fuschia, see you “over there” sometime.

AslansMum

Hello AslansMum,

Sorry you are here joining the rest of us but rest assurred we support/laugh/cry and comfort each other when we can… and if you want to shout then this is the place to do it!

BabyBoo xxx