New user

Hi, I did post a message yesterday but still struggling with site, so thanks to Kaz1961 for message and I’m still working out how to reply to you. Had recent diagnosis followed by left sided mastectomy and removal of 16 lymph nodes, 9 of which were affected. Awaiting scans and due to start chemo next Tuesday as long as a infection has cleared in seroma. I’m still playing catch up with it all, feels so surreal and I have days when I think I’m not going to make it, despite being a very positive person generally. I read a lot of posts on here which has helped me put together a list of questions for my oncology nurse on Monday, so thank you for that. Keeping my fingers crossed that scans are ok but feels so scary and lonely at times. I’m only 46 and fit and healthy, such a shock.

hi
julie
i had all the same as you except i had 12 of 15 affected nodes. ive had left mx and chemo, just finished 2 weeks ago, awaiting radiotherapy and 5 or 10 years of hormone drugs.
it is a shock, and you find that ‘it’ swallows up all of real life and kind of takes over. i’m just back to work for a couple of weeks, i worked through the first half of chemo and as soon as rads are done i will be back as usual. its important to keep some normal life going, its easy i found to get wrapped up so much in the treatment that it takes over.
im 49 and thought i was fit and healthy, so i know what you mean. You will get through it, you sound sensible and practical. when you start chemo you might find that if you join a thread with all the other girls at the same stage of chemo (i think there may be a september one starting just now) , you have somewhere to sound off, have a giggle, offload moans and groans etc which means you dont go on at your family too much about things that they dont fully understand. im in the ‘awsome april angels’, its helped me so much, my group are just so lovely and always there for you.
keep us informed,
take care
angie xx
good luck for monday, i hope it goes as well as possible,

there is a september one started, i just checked.
angie xx

Hi Julie, I have recently been diagnosed too but my postings are currently on new member introductions. Like you and angiepops I thought I was fit and healthy, I’m 56, but this really knocks you off your feet. One thing is for certain though there is plenty of support, help, love and laughter on this forum to help us get through this. Don’t beat yourself up about being scared I can honestly say, I am being as positive as I can but it doesn’t stop me being terrified.
Good luck for Monday and keep smiling. pas.the.boss x

Hi Julie, sorry you have found yourself here. It is a scary time and as you said it will feel surreal at times. I found that you are so in shock initially as I was feeling reasonably well and looked OK but to be told I had this “alien” inside me was unbelievable.
I remember saying to the breast care nurse" I feel well" and she replied “yes, but it is what we are going to do your that will make you feeI unwell”. How right she was!.
I went through it all and few months afterwards I still felt like it was a bad dream. Everything had happened within a short period of time and then in my case I was discharged from oncology and now just take Anastrozole for next five years.
I have had some problems from rad treatment which is holding me back but I can hardly believe I am almost coming round to the time I had my mammogram which picked my tumour up.
I am generally a positive person and have tried to stayed focused on getting well again but I do still have wobble moments now.
Look after yourself and I certainly say NO more to things now and give myself more time to do what I want to do. It certainly gives you a more focused outlook on life! Take care of yourself and that goes for all the other ladies who have responded to your thread, Katy.

Just to encourage you, I went through all this 2 years ago, MX, chemo, rads, Letrazole. I too had no idea anything was amiss…

The chat threads are invaluable for information/support/humour as you have/will find out. It is SO good to have a place where you can say how you really feel, without worrying that you’re goign to make someone you love worry (if you see what I mean!) You WILL have wobbles - none of us are Superwoman (just nearly!) I chose to find something to be grateful for every day, and that actually helped…

Two years in, I am back to normal, got my hair back (and complaining about it even though I VOWED I never would when I didn’t have any!!!) I have got my bounce back and am fine… and then last week I picked up a new booby from the prosthetic dept that my BCN had kindly ordered… I’d found “bean-a-boob” and it suited me - she said she’d order me one, but then found “something better”… that arrived… and I looked at it and I don’t think it’s the right size, so I chatted with the lady supplying, left a message for BCN and came away. and ridiculously (to me at the time) I felt upset. Gave mysefl a shake “It’s only the wrong size, for heavens sake, get a grip”… but as I chatted it through with a friend, it wasn’t like a pair of shoes the wrong size, this is my breast… and I wobbled a little… not for long; not majorly, but wobbles can take you by surprise - and it’s OK. Actually, part of my emotion was grumpiness that she’d ordered something other than agreed, without discussin the options with me. She was doing it with my best interest at heart, and she’s a fabulous, amazingly helpful lady, but… I was out of control… which is one of the hard things when you’re going through this ***p…

Top tip: Book yourselves treats - something to look forward to

Take care
Jane