Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Just about to start Radiotherapy

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Newbie Just about to start Radiotherapy

Hi Zuzy

We seem to be following the same regime...i too have afternoon appts so will be doing the same, working in the morning and off for the afternoons!!   I think it's best to take it as it comes, i've found positivity has driven me on and at my worst, i've managed to drag my backside to work as much as possible.  Everyone is different and  think thats the way to treat it.  Good luck with the rest of your treatment, nearly over for you...well done.   x

Zuzy

Hi Lilo, I've had 13 of 20 and so far am feeling ok, i also had 6 chemo sessions that finished 3 weeks before i started rads and actually feel like my fitness and energy levels are improving as I go along, the recovery from chemo seems to be trumping the rads SEs! I worked part time through chemo and am continuing this through rads, most of my appts are around 2.30 so working til then then going home. I was told that low immunity not a problem, strange how we get different advice! Good luck xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for answering. I guess everyone is different so hoping its not too awful. Chemo has had its downsides but have managed to work through most if it and hoping rad will be the same. Start next Wednesday so will def share my experience. Thanks everyone x
Katykookabura

It is a weird type of tiredness. I was fine for first ten treatments then it started and it is just like someone has pulled a plug out on all your energy. It comes over you quite quickly and I used to sit for awhile and then was OK again. You will find that after treatment finishes you do feel tired in a normal way as well and need to rest a bit. What did not help me was my treatment was always between 4-6 pm so had to leave house at 3 pm to get there. Once it was over I used to make sure I had a rest in the afternoon.
What you must do is make sure you keep away from anyone with infections. The treatment does weaken the immune system. I did not have chemo and I know you have to be careful after that , but since my radiotherapy treatment I have a had chest/ sinus infection and a tummy bug and last week a UTI !. My GP says it is because of the cancer and subsequent treatment it has weakened me so be warned!. I get slightly obsessive with hand washing and my husband works at a day centre for older people and he has been " trained" with me nagging him to wash his hands when he gets in from work or even if he has just gone out somewhere. Even still I have picked up some bugs somewhere!. I have just bought some anti bacterial hand gel for my handbag as fed up being ill and on antibiotics.
It also takes awhile for your boob to cool down as all the cells are destroyed and the good ones replace themselves .
If you feel hot at bedtime get a chillow pillow. A lady on this site recommended it and it has been great as lovely to lie on and keeps the ' sweats' at bay. Helps me get off to sleep . Hope you all get on ok with your treatment. Best wishes, Katy.
BlackSwan

Most of it is not tiring, but you may get tired in the last week and for a couple of weeks afterwards.  I was told the symptoms peak about week after the end.

Chris61

Hi lilo , I'm starting 15 radiotherapy sessions on Monday 30th . I've been told it's tiring . Luckily I don't have as far to drive. We'll have to compare experiences. Good luck x x
Guest user
Not applicable

Newbie Just about to start Radiotherapy

Hi all,

I've just finished six chemo treatments and about to embark on 20 radiotherapy sessions next week.  Is it as tiring as people say, as i have a approx hour drive each way to the hsoptial each day! 

x