Newbie and worried

Hi all,

I’m 45 and about a month ago I noticed a sort of ‘dent’ in the lower part of my right breast, but only when it was in pushed inwards. Ironically, about 3 or 4 weeks earlier my mum had undergone a radical mastectomy. I didn’t do anything at the time because it just seemed so unbelievable.

I finally told my DH yesterday. The ‘dent’ seems a little bigger (about the size of a 5p) and if I stretch my arm up it now shows a little, plus now even when I don’t do anything there seems to be the slightest hint of the dent, if that all makes sense!

I’m going to see the GP today if I can get an appointment. I assume that given my mother’s recent history I will most probably be referred for a mamogram? Has anyone else had a ‘dent’ rather than a lump? From remembering what I read in the literature my mum was given, I’m guessing it may mean anything is deeper inside the breast and sort of pulling the breast tissue inwards?

I’m trying to take things one step at a time, but i’m very worried, especially because of my mum, and i have two teenage daughters too.

B :S

hi,

yes i had a dent. And it increased in size after I found it. when i was lying down i could find a lump under the dent but not when i was standing up.

The doctor was convinced the lump was a cyst, but because of the dent sent me for a check up.

The surgeon thought the lump was a cyst, and did some physical checks on the dent and said it did not indicate cancer from how the skin moved.

i would not be surprised at all if the doctor sent you for an urgent referal. Not because its urgent, but because they know how worrying the waiting is and want you to be seen within 2 weeks rather than 6. If they do not I would stand your ground. Not because I think its cancer, but because you are not going to rest until you get a scan and a firm diagnosis.

9 out of 10 breast changes are benign. And even for the other single case the treatment is not that intrusive

For me the scan and the biopsy showed that there was a slow growing, quite rare, cancer within the cyst and so I had an operation to take it out. Glad I did because they found small invasive tumors in there too and we go tthe lot out in one go.

i have recovered well from the surgery, not too bad a cosmetic effect. not enough to ask for improvement. And there was seriously no pain, did not even need paracetamol. Just sore to touch. Had 4 weeks of rads. felt very tired for 10 days,at the end, not ill, just needed to take it easy. Had a bit of nerve pain for 2 weeks but that is going and a very hot boob for a week and that is going, so rads is time consuming a bit incovenient and sore but certainly not a problem.

Of course you are worried, everybody is, and you have the additional aspect of your mums mastectomy. But just hold onto the 9 out of 10 figure, and hold on to the fact not all cancers need such a radical treatment, especially if they are caught early.

Good luck with the doctors today. Be prepared to be even more shocked if you get a referal, even though its what you realy want. It suddenly seems more real at that point.

Dont google–stop it now! Get your information from here, or just come on to chat or to have a giggle at some of the more lighthearted threads.

And please come back and letus all know how you get on at the GP’s

Hi

Welcome to the forums, and sorry you have had to find your way here. I found a “dimple” in my my breast when I got dressed one day. I started to google and found my way here.

Please insist on an appointment today with your doctors, if you need to mention your symptoms to the receptionist to get an urgent appointment, then do it, just for your own peace of mind. I know that waiting for appointments to find out is so very hard on you emotionally.

Your doctor will examine you, and refer you to a breast clinic within two weeks if he thinks you need to have a mammogram/further tests. And please remember that most things referred to breast clinic don’t turn out to be cancer

Its only natural to worry, I’m not going to tell you not to, as I know you will anyway. Just look after yourself.

You can find my initial posts on the forum here;-
share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/scared-t32634.html

I am just recovering from mastectomy & reconstruction and think I will be having chemotherapy & radiation treatment in the next few months. This forum has been a godsend for me and the ladies here are a fantastic support.

Please keep us updated on your visit to your doctors.

Oh thank you ladies for posting so quickly! I’ve just got an appointment for 10.50 this morning.

I’m trying really hard to just take one step at a time: GP today, then a mamogram if that happens, and not to look too far ahead. But it isn’t easy!

I am worried as the ‘dimple’ has got larger, and more noticeable from when I first saw it 4 weeks ago.

On the one hand it is a bit easier because of my mum, as I have a rough idea of what to expect…but that also makes things very scary too!

Thank you again, and I’ll let you know what happens at my appointment.

B

Dear Oh dear,
I had a dent about 11 years ago and was referrred to the breast clinic. The surgeon couldn’t find a lump with it, so said that was immediately less worrying. I had mammograms, and was then followed up for 6 months as something showed on the other side mammogram.
So, I still have a dent on my remaining breast, and mammograms still OK on that side.

The non dent side has had problem after problem but conclusion always that it was OK until last year mammography picked up an area too small for me to feel and biopsy confirmed cancer.

Always react to a dent or a dimple as if it was a lump, I was told.

Hope you get a good answer soon.

Lavender
xx

Well, have been referred to be seen within 2 weeks. My GP was very nice, and said he wasn’t overly concerned, but that it was a sensible precaution.

I feel much better now, as I know I have taken the first step, and will have the best advice when I am seen…so will try not to worry anymore for now!

Thank you again for your kind replies, and I will let you know how my referral goes.

Bx

good, well done, 1st step taken.

Now dont panic if you suddenly get a phone call giving you an earlier appointment. It isnt that they know anything about your case, its just that they get cancellations.

and do you know why they get cancellations? Because they get more negative results than they were expecting and those ladies are not coming back any more. As we keep saying 9 out of 10 are not cancer

OK, the hospital rang today, and my appointment is on Monday morning :S

I was very positive after I saw my GP yesterday, but then had a bit of a crash down by the evening…I guess to be expected!

Luckily had such a manic night at work that I really didn’t have a chance to think about it at all. But then the hospital called at lunchtime, so no more sleep for me today I think!

I’m due to work on Monday night, but I wonder if I should explain and not go in. Obviously if I get the all-clear I will be fine to work. But if it isn’t good news, I don’t think I will be able to do an 11 hour night shift.

What did anyone else do? Did you take time off?

B

It’s good that you have an appointment. Try not to worry about it. If you have any questions - post it up and I am sure someone will pop along to answer it for you. And don’t forget to come back and tell us the good news - lots of people post their concerns about lumps and dents - they go off for their appointments and we never see them again.

We like to hear good news! But, we are also here if it isn’t.

Deb

Hi Deb,

I will definitely let you all know how I get on!

I have been bowled over by the kindness and support on this forum :smiley:

Bx

HI Ifound a dent and creasing in my left breast in May. Was referred to breast clinic by GP although she thought it may have been caused by underwires in bras! Mammogram showed a large area of pre cancerous cells which was causing the creasing according to consultant. Ultra sound then showed up three lumps! Mastectomy and reconstruction followed at the end of June. Physically feeling fine now but emotionally I’m a wreck. I wouldn’t allow myself to wallow in what was happening at the time being determind to stay strong and that it wasn’t going to change my life. It’s only now that treatment has finished that I can’t seem to hold it all together! maybe it’s grief or relief or even the Tamoxifen. All I know is don’t try and be too strong for other people. If I’d let the emotions out as they happened then I might be in a better frame of mind now. If the news isn’t great allow yourself time to accept what’s going to happen. Don’t bury your head like I did because I don’t think it really helped me in the end. Just remenber whatever’s thrown at you physically you’ll cope with! Finger’s crossed you can ignore my ramblings cos your tests will be fine.x

Thank you chickengirl,

What you say makes a lot of sense and you sound very like me! I do hope things get better for you very soon.

Bx