Newbie- diagnosed yesterday

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed yesterday as having cancer in my right breast and several pre-cancerous calcification’s in my left, so am having a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction , there after my consultant will decide if I need chemo too. There is so much going on just now I can’t even think. I was just wondering other peoples experience with surgery

Emma xx

Hi Emma

So sorry you find yourself here. Cancer treatment seems to go in phases with a lot of waiting in between. I had a left side mastectomy and SNB (sentinal node biopsy). No reconstruction as I have a lung disease and nobody (least of all me) wanted me to be under the anaesthetic for very long. It only took about one and a half hours. I felt a bit uncomfortable where the drain came out, but no pain. At my hospital they didn’t put stitches in, they used glue. So the wound was visible when I looked down my pj top.  I had an overnight stay because my surgery was late in the afternoon. I went home with the drain in, and instructions on how to empty it each day. After a few days, the glue began to make my side itchy. After 5 days, the District Nurse came out to remove my drain. The scar from the drain was sore, but I didn’t have any other pain at all. The glue gradually wore away to leave a neat scar. It looked a bit red at first, but I used Regen oil on it and it soon faded. It’s almost a year since then, and although I sometimes get a bit of discomfort from the lymph node removal (damaged nerveshealing) I haven’t had any problems. Only I don’t like wearing a bra, especially with my prosthesisin. So I tend to go braless unless I really do have to wear one. I think this is because my remaining breast is rather large (D cup) so the prosthesis has to be quite large to make me look even - and it is quite heavy.

As my tumour was grade 3 and one  of the nodes they removed had cancer in it, I had chemo. It wasn’t as bad as I expected it to. If you do need to have chemo, may I suggest you join one of the monthly chemo threads in the section about treatment. You will meet other women from all over who are having the same experiences that you are. 

Best wishes

Poemsgalore xx

Hi Emma33

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000 and are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator