Newbie, signing up for service!

Hi, I’m Rebecca!
I’m Mum to two (2 yrs) and (6 months), and been married for three years
I found a small almond sized lump in my breast six weeks ago which has now grown to 13 x 11cm (how did that happen).
I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma ten days ago, and had my first FEC on Thursday via long line.
I’m kind of reeling to be honest, and am hoping that there are other people here who will know where I’m at ?!

Dear Rebecca

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis, I am sure that you will receive lots of support and information from your fellow forum members very soon. I also wanted to let you know that Breast Cancer Care have published a Resource Pack, it has been designed for anyone newly diagnosed with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and various treatments, it is available via the following link or by contacting the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

You may find our helpline useful to call during this time for more information, they can also give information about our other support services and also offer support and a ‘listening ear’. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, Saturday, 9am - 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Lucy

Thanks Lucy

I’ve recieved a tonne of literature, most of which I’ve looked at briefly, but not really taken in.

I think it’s being able to “talk” here that’s so valuable

Love, Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

So sorry that you have had to join this club but everyone on this site will do there best to help you on your journey to recovery.

I know it will be a very difficult time at the moment but believe me you will get through it.

Just a positve note for you.

I was diagnosed in oct 06 so i’m about 18months down the line i had a lumpectomy,chemo and radiotherapy and in june 07 finished all my treatment and am now on Tamoxifen.

I am feeling great at the moment looking forward to a skiing holiday (had to cancel last years so really looking forward to this one). We go in 4wks.

I have been through ups and downs as you will over the past 18mths but be prepared to put your life on hold for the next 12months where you will be on a rollercoaster of a ride. Go with the flow and try to rest as much as you can and let others help you as much as they can.

I know it is difficult and not always easy but try and stay as positive as you can, it really does help.

You will get there be assured wishing you all the luck in the world and soon before you know it treatment will be at an end.
I know this is a scary time for you and your family but come to this site as often as you like we are always here to help as much as we can, there really are some wonderful ladies on this site who will give you invaluable advice.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
JanW

Thanks, Jan

It’s lovely to hear that you’re doing so well, and getting your strength back

I’m generaly very positive, but just started feeling a bit grim today which has bought me back down to earth with a bit of a bump

Rebecca x

Hi Rebecca

Firstly welcome to our very exclusive club - the club none of us want to really join ! This site has been an absolute godsend to me since I was diagnosed last year, and you’ll find tons of support and advice like I have.

I was 41 when diagnosed last April, I had eight sessions of chemo, followed by a mastectomy and lymph node removal, radiotherapy, and now I’m on herceptin. Oh, and due a reconstruction in April.

The last year has been a complete roller coaster ride, the initial news hit me and my family (I have two girls who were 13 and 10 at the time) like a ton of bricks and I have to say the first two weeks were the worst, what with scan after scan, breaking the news to people, etc. Once I had my treatment plan I started to feel better, and the good days started outnumbering the bad. I even got my sense of humour back, which I have to say helped enormously !

Rebecca, I know exactly how you’re feeling at the moment - its so so scary, but I promise you, you’ll get through it. If I can do it anyone can !

Sending you lots of love and very best wishes for the rest of your treatment. Remember, you’re amongst friends on here - the girls on this forum are wonderful.

Keep posting so we know how you are.

Lots of love

Julie xxx

Hey Rebecca

Shelley here, diagnosed 15.2-08 and asectomy booked for 8.3. 08 3 Kids - 9. 8 and 2 and I’m 37 yrs young. Don’t really know the nitty gritty of what I’ve got. I know its in the ducts, I know I’m having all my lymph Nodes removed and I have seen my Surgeon and I know how the Recon. is going to go. I have got a CT scan tomorrow but I really don’t know

Hi - i’m 33 and have a 3 yr old and 9 month old and have grade 3 invasive triple negative with 1 node involved and about to start chemo and its good to be strong and positive but also good to share and cry I am slowly learning! Having small children especially a baby is so hard especially after the ops etc when you can’t even pick them up etc but at the same time they are SUCH a tonic! Reckon i’d be a mess without their daily antics!

Oops! I don’t really know much else and have relied on many of these ladies for info. to fill in the gaps. Some times I get so scared I can barely breathe, and for the rest of the time I try to absorb as much factual info as poss. so that I can function. Still really early days for me too and I have no idea what the future holds for my family and me. Just try not to think too far into the future is my advice I have found that if I concentrate on the here and now and give myself something to keep my mind busy, the bigger picture isn’t as scary!! Don’t take all the advice, and let some comments just drift over you. Some people can never understand how you feel - that’s just how they are!! keep asking for help from this lot as they are the ones who REALLY know how you feel!! Take no prisoners hon.
xx

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your lovely messages of support, I think I’m going to be relying on you all quite a lot in the future in our very exclusive club

Rebecca x

Hi,

I’m sukes, only 34 years young as dx with ductal invasive 5/9 nodes effected. 3 kids (1, 4 & 7). The initial shock was the worst and i totally know what you mean about not picking the little one up. I couldn’t for 6 weeks as they never got a clear margin first time around. Initally the whole family were all very supportive and are however I was getting into the lazy syndrome and its so easy to let them take over. I then had to pull myself together because my kids are my responibility and I want to bring them up and had to tell family I will call u when I need you.

once you have you medication/chemo plan you will hopefully get into a routine of somekind.

Try not to worry but at the same time if you don’t mind me saying try not to read up everything and anything on all types of BC as everyones BC is different and its easy to get paranoid about other peoples DX.

take care
Luv
sukes XX

Hi Rebecca,

I’m Helen and I was diagnosed on 14.2.08 with a 4cm tumour in my right breast and lymph nodes involved, I’m not any good at all the jargon yet. I’m 47, married and have 2 gorgeous boys 11 and 14.

I’ve been reading this site since the night before my diagnoses but this is the first time I’ve posted. My reason for writing to you is that I too am having chemo first, starting on 3rd of march and your thread is the first I’ve read that is similar to me. I know I’m having 6 courses followed by op in June and then… ! So i really know where you are at, emotionally anyway but not much on the info as I’m just learing it all.

The speed at which it is all happening seems to make it all unreal, I only found my lump on 29.1.08 and saw the dr on 1.2.08. We’ve told everyone in our world, which was exhausting but really rewarding and we are now overwhelmed from the amazing support that is coming our way. My boys know and seem to be coping well at the moment but nothing has really happened yet that they can really connect with… so we will wait and see. I’ve learned loads from this site and read it most days but i just thought i’d post on yours as we seem to be taking similar journeys. How was the chemo? What side effects are you having?

take care, hope today is a good day,

Helen
x

Hi Helen and rebecca

I had chemo before surgery - last one was on 21 Nov 07 - then surgery on 8th Jan - managed to avoid a mastectomy because the chemo shrunk the tumour enough to have a wide segmental excision. They used my own tissue to ‘rebuild’ the breast and it looks great so I am now really pleased that I was able to have this option. I’m now doing my 25 rads, hair growing back and feeling so much better.

Anyway - I have only just found this site (I know, how is this possible…I think I was in such shock in the beginning that I couldn’t really face the internet - and also started TAC chemo very quickly and was knocked for six.)

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck - you will find strength you never knew you had and the kids do keep you going. Mine were 6 and 11 at time of dx (now 7 and 12)…

Love Mary x

HI,
I was diagnosed on 29.1.08 and my world fell apart. I am 38 and have a 2 year old. I had WLE and node biopsy surgery on 20.2.08 and get the dreaded results next tuesday. So far i know its grade 3 and that i will be having chaemo. I too an generally a positive person but I also long for my life back. Today is not such a good day and am feeling a bit lost.

I do get stregnth fron this site and i hope you will too.

Keep posting
Jo x

hi jo,

sorry to hear you are having a bad day, i know exactly what you mean about getting your life back, i’ve just lost a very dear aunt and tomorrow i can’t go to the funeral as i have my mri! but as i understand it what’s happening to us all now is about fighting so that we have a life and now is not always.

it’s early days for both you and me but as we read this site we can see that there is light at the end of this tunnel. i think it’s ok and normal to have good and bad days, after all we had them before bc, just not in such an extreme and probably not so many bad ones. i’m sure your 2 year old brings you joy, my boys are 11 and 14 and i find a cuddle from them makes at least that moment better.

do wish you all the best for your results next week i should be having the results of my core biopsy any day,

love

helen
x

Hi Rebecca - just read your message and have a close family member in the same position as you find yourself - want to do so much to help but know that really there is nothing one can do. What a wonderful opportunity these websites are so that people can discuss with strangers but with friends who have been there and done it all, and can help with reassurance more than the most loving family and friends. God Bless and care for you - Maggie

Hello,
I’m Sue and I’ve just been diagnosed.

I didn’t know where to start but here I am. I have been told my tumour is about 1inch in size in my right breast don’t really know where that puts me.
I live in Cornwall and am 51 no children but a wonderful hubby. I have to have a core biopsy again tomorrow on my left breast just to be sure theres nothing there, then I see the Surgeon? next Thursday. I have a heart condition so they need to make sure I can have GA.

I just can’t take it in…I feel like I’m going to wake up and it’s been a dream…I wish!

Sue

Hi Sue,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums where I am sure you will receive valuable support, information and advice from the many informed users of this site.

Breast Cancer Care have written a ‘Resources Pack’ for anyone newly diagnosed with breast cancer which you may find helpful to read, it is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. You can order a free copy from the following link or you can ask for a copy to be sent to you via the helpline.

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

There is information in the pack about our other support services, including our helpline, tel no 0808 800 6000 which you may find useful to use at some point if you need to talk anything through or just need someone to lend an understanding ear. The calls are free, lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator