Newbie waiting for biopsy results, how to cope

Hi everyone,
Had mammogram, ultrasound and core biopsy done on Wednesday. Said it looked suspicious of cancer!!! So matter of fact, I was so shocked. How do you wait for results without melting down. I can’t stop thinking the worst. I have a five year old daughter who needs me. The mornings and the evenings are the worst. Any suggestions really appreciated. Thank you

Hiya, I was there back in March and it’s an awful feeling, you are going to be in a state while you wait but try not to dwell on what you were told as they don’t know for sure until they get the results, I was told the opposite to you but mine came back as cancer so they don’t always get it right, i got some diazipan from my Dr to help see me through the waiting and they really did help but until I knew for sure I was in panic mode regardless, it’s a natural reaction as plenty of the lovely ladies on here will come along and tell you, just try and see each day as one closer to finding out for sure I know it’s a brutal couple of weeks but you do get through it and now 4 months on I’m out the other side and life is returning to normal ? Xxx

Thanks kim68,
What happened after you found out? What procedures did you go through if you don’t mind me asking.

Hi Miarose and welcome to the BCC forums, I am sorry to read that you have this worry

Along with the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to share your concerns, our team are on hand for you today 10-2 and weekdays 9-5 on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi MiaRose you will find lots of people on this forum who totally understand how you are feeling,it is such a shock and hard to cope with day to day things amongst all of this.You cant help be totally overwhelmed by it.If you do unfortunately get a diagnosis come and join us on the just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand threat in the just diagnosed section and you will get a lot of support.Hopefully you will get good news,but if you don’t try and remember as a lady said to me when I made my first post a month ago ,breast cancer treatment has come a long way in the last 10 years and the vast majority of us will survive this,it is scary but you can and will get through it.There are lady’s with young children talking on some other threads and the Forum recommends a book to use with young children to help them understand I’m sure they will offer support if you should get bad news.Good luck try and keep busy,always someone on here to talk to .

Thanks kim68, my date for results is 7th July. The hospital said that the surgeons would discuss results on the 6th. I’m 40. Couldn’t feel the lump standing up and had some chest pains so when I laid down found a very large hard lump. Also found another small lump in other Breast when doing the ultrasound. Biopsied that as well.

Hi - I think waiting for the results is the worst part.  When I was having the biopsy the dr remarked that my lump was very close to the rib and gave me the impression she thought it was cancer, and I then spent a week with a feeling of doom hanging over me like a black cloud.  I thought if it was close to the rib it would be in my bones.  Waiting in the hospital to see the surgeon I thought I might be sick, I just felt I knew exactly what he was going to say, and he did!  But he reassured me it does not get into the bones that way.  I had WLE a week later and tumour is all gone but have more DCIS.  I’d had DCIS a few years ago as well so this time got the choice of WLE again or mastectomy.  Once I knew what was happening I suddenly felt relieved as I knew exactly what was going to happen.  Having simple mastectomy in 3 weeks.  Nothing has ever been as bad as that week between the biopsy and the results - the imagination goes into overdrive.  You feel more in control when you know what’s going to happen.  I have never had that sick feeling again since and I’m sure you will find that the uncertainty is by far the worst bit.  Best of luck for your results.

Definitely the worst part and yesterday they phoned me and told me they is not enough doctors to see me on the 7th and they will now see me on the 9th! I so fed up of waiting. And yes Mollybee I keep thinking its in my bones as need to my breast bone. Thanks for your advice

Thanks Mollybee that does sound reassuring. Sorry can you tell me about the abbreviations you put in your previous post. Sorry to sound like such a div! Lol

Good luck for your mastectomy as well, I hope all goes well for you x

Thanks Jill1998, chascat, kim68 andMollybee 4 wonderful women. Thanks for your posts they are really getting me through this awful time. I’m very grateful to you all. ?

Hi Miarose. I completely agree that waiting for the diagnosis is a horrible time. It’s only natural to think the worst, but many ladies are diagnosed with benign breast lumps. Fingers and everything else crossed that you get good news on the 9th xx

Hi Miarose… Just wondering how you got on…  I’m in the same position you were in July, waiting for the letter/call to go back in for results… Soooooo scared, waiting is chronic! Xxx 

hope all going well. Xx