Hi all was diagnosed with HER2 negative breast cancer on 12th may such a shock for all my family, had my op on 2nd June lumpectomy and full node clearance, appointment tomorrow to see the surgeon to see what treatment I am to have, the previous appointment he said I wouldn’t need Chemo I don’t want it as I am 72 and don’t think I could go through with it, anybody else been in this situation.

Hi Lesley!
I had a very similar situation, I had a lumpectomy and sentinal node removal in March. There was a micromet on the sentinal node so I had a node clearance the other 8 nodes were negative! I was give the choice to have chemo and agonized for a week…I decided with just a 3.7 % benefit at 10 years I would decline and go straight for radiotherapy and 10 years tablets! They don’t offer chemo 2% and under! I am 58!

Good luck!
Sandra xx

Hello Lesley - have you seen the NHS’s Predict tool which enables you to put in basic details about your diagnosis and get statistics on the benefit for you of having chemo?  It’s really easy to use.  Predict.nhs.org

It might help in your discussions with the consultant.  Best wishes xx 

Hi Lesley, I’m 70 and had the same ops as you. My LN biopsies showed signs of cancer so all were removed . I have recovered well from the op and am now half way through chemo. Doable , if not a walk in the park! It was felt this pathway(WLE + LNexcision, then chemo then rads then hormone )  would give me the best outcome (10 years) so I took it. I haven’t used the predict tool, but just went with the teams advice. It is very much a team situation with everyone, including you, having input. I asked my consultant if I was his mother (I was deffo old enough!) would he recommend this pathway. When he said yes I just signed the papers. My treatment has been altered to accommodate my age, then the dosage has been reduced to help me tolerate side effects. My Onco is now looking at a comparable, gentler chemo to finish off my treatment. Flexibility is key to treatment. I truly believe I will not be given more than my body can take, and that my team want success for me. So I need to play my part. Everyone is very different . You will know  when you have reached your decision as you will be relieved. The very very best wishes. X