Hi I was diagnosed on 3 November. Caught everyone - even doctors - by surprise, they were sure it was a cyst until my biopsy results came back showing Grade 3, I don’t know anything more. My op, lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy, is Monday and I am alternating between complete denial and complete breakdown. I have developed an ache under my left arm and an itch over my lump and really don’t know what is ahead of me. It is great to read through these forums and know that I am not in fact going mad, but everything I am feeling is normal.

Hi - My heart goes out to you . Its hard at first and u will be in shock . Once you get on the treatment bandwagon it will get easir. I am 6 months down the line, chemo, mx done and only rads to go . We all have our moments but you will get help here.
Sending you a big cyber hug

xxxxx

Hi smfmum

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/pub … cer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi smfmum, early days shock is just dreadful absolutely dreadful you really can’t think about anything else can you? it’s like your life as you knew it has just gone! but trust me and the others on here it will start to get easier, it still takes over your life and daily thoughts but somehow you learn to deal with it. Good luck with the op, I had exactly the same op recently it wasn’t pleasant but was better than I had imagined. Just take each day as it comes and keep popping on here regularly for help and support from your virtual buddies I know it really helped me and is still doing so.
Big tip from me if you have to stay overnight in hossie like I did take some warm socks in they were a godsend I also used them when I came home because in the early days I didn’t move around a lot so they kept my feet nice and toasty.
Please let us know how you get on, you will be fine though, just tired and sore but fine and so relieved that they have taken the gremlin away! trust me. Then of course you will have to start thinking about the dreaded results day, that is once again when we will be there to hold your hand x

Hi smfmum

As the other ladies have said you will be in shock, at first it all seems so daunting but as you get into the treatment it all becomes doable.

I was diagnosed 7th sept, only went to the doc with a sore boob, was referred to the breast clinic and the rest is history, Mx, SNB and am now waiting to start chemo as my lymphs were affected. The procedures were all more uncomfortable than painful and I was up and about the next day.

You are not going mad, at first good days and bad days are reaonable enough, just be kind to yourself.

You will recieve a lot of support and info on here just keep posting and let us all know how you are.

Best wishes to you M

Hi smfmum, so sorry you find yourself in this place but welcome. You will find this site a great source of support and get lots of info on here to help you through. I had lumpectomy and snb too and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. Afterwards you may be a little uncomfortable for a while so take it easy on yourself but do the excercises given to you.

Take care, best wishes for monday.
Clare x

Hi everyone. I’m also a newbie but a little further on in treatment. I found a lump in October and my GP refered me to Breast Clinic who saw me the following week where all my scans and biopsies were done. The waiting was the worst. Finally confirmed that it was cancer but lymph nodes clear but they took another biopsy to make sure which also came back negative.
I had lumpectomy with SNB done last tuesday. Still a bit sore but relieved that my treatment has started. I have beed told I need chemo and rads. I met 4 over ladies having the same op but they were much older than me and had their cancers picked up through screening. They were surprised to find out that I was only 46 which then started to make me worried.
I joined BCC forum to find that there are lots of younger women and so I don’t feel so alone. Being at home can be isolating at times and your thoughts are consumed with everything cancer and even tough my nurse is great I have found answers to questions on the forum. First hand accounts from people that have experienced all the various treatment is invaluable. I hope to try and share my experiences.

Hi scotianne and welcome to the BCC forums

I am posting a link to our younger women’s information page where you will find further support ideas and information which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/category/type-person-particularly-relevant/younger-women-breast-cancer

Our helpliners are also here to offer support and information on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and Sat 9-2

Take care
Lucy

Hello smfmum

I remember my BCN saying to me, after I had received my diagnosis, that, once I had got over the shock, I would become calm, and she was right. I found my lump in March and has my mx with reconstruction in April. My lymph nodes were clear. I have finished chemo and started on my radiotherapry, and am also on herceptin. My BCN said that they will get me through this, and, with the support of my family, friends and colleagues too, as well as this website, they will.

Remember that every year in this country 48,000 women are given the same news as we were given so we are not alone. Stay positive and you will find that you are strong enough to beat this.

Keep smiling :slight_smile:

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your supportive comments. My op was yesterday, all went well and I feel good, if a little sore. I have been well looked after by all friends and family my bedroom looks like a flower shop!!! A very spoilt lady all round. Next wait is only a week and I get my results. Feeling positive…

Glad to hear that your op went well smfmum, and fingers crossed for your results.

hi smfmum

glad your op went well and your feeling good. having mine next week feeling nervous.

take care x

Good luck for next week. The op is the easy bit - it’s the waiting for results that is the hardest part!

Postive thinking

Hi Tommyticklemouse

It’s true what everyone says the waiting is the worst. Thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts for your op next week.

Take care xx