cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly Diagnosed

32 REPLIES 32
Meri

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Mine was drained as I had infection, they wanted to test fluid but as so much of it decided to remove what they could, though warned it could return.

It was like my boob deflated like a balloon 🙂 and revealed big dent where growth removed.

I noticed swelling under arm also deflated which was interesting.

I was also assured it should be reabsorbed but if get infection or find it an issue you can ask for drainage but tjere is risk of infection through procedure.

I looked up exercises for lymphodemia which did help.

Hooe it resolves for you 🙂

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Ginny, mine was more a Niagara Falls down my arm. VERY disconcerting , I must say 😱. I had a complete LN excision so 15 nodes removed, and it took a while for the fluid to re route, but it has eventually. Doing the exercises religiously helped. If it woke me in the night I manoeuvred my arm so I slept with it above my head, thinking it would help the drainage. (Un)Fortunately hubby had moved out to help with recovery. When I got really fed up with the gurgling I iced it, and massaged it. Just a bit of a nuisance, but lasting over approx six weeks. Hope this helps - you are not gurgling alone! 😊

GInny

Afternoon Ladybowler,

thanks for for your reply ! 

I felt like a nuisance last night, it's quite odd as when I move around it sounds like shaking a coconut ! 

So not sure what to do for the best. 

I can call my consultant Monday morning and hope to see him Monday pm .

My results are due in in the 26th, I think all the waiting doesn't help us much.

Also I have been told I should also consider a complete hysterectomy due to the family genetics risk.

Gosh lets get over one hurdle ....

lovely day day out there so a spot of sunbathing (vitamin d ) is needed xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Ginny

Oh how lovely to hear from you and that you are through the op.

I am wondering if this is the same as having a seroma, which is a build up of fluid.  I had one under my arm where the SNB was done.  It was more of a nuisance than anything and when I rang my bcn, she said it was a seroma and that as long as it is not causing me any problems, pain etc., then to leave it alone and she would have  a look at it when I went for my results, as they very often just drain away on their own, hence I think the lymph node action to disperse it.  Mine took about 6 weeks to go, all of a sudden one day I realised it was no longer there.

If you are still not happy give your bcn a call on Monday and ask her about it.

Hope the exercises are going well.

Helena xxx

Sue58

Hi I'm Sue , I'm 58 and diagnosed with ER + PR + (double positive ) oestrogen sensitive breast cancer on 30th May, the lump is 27mm with lymph nodes involved,so having them removed wednesday 21st June in afternoon along with a lumpectomy , so will be in for one or two nights apparently. Im grade 1 stage 2. Will probably be having chemo followed by rads.. I work in a school , hope to be back after 2 weeks of recuperating after op..if all goes well. Then chemo will start in school hols so planning to take 4 months of till christmas...anyone else had similar treatment plan and can advise me if its doable or will I maybe need more time off after christmas...my school and family have been so suportive and im really positive in outcome although anxious about lumpectomy...thanks. Sue
GInny

Operation complete.

hi all just an quick update !

had my op on wed had the wire and nuclear injection in the morning then op at 1:30

had a reaction to the anaesthetic so kept in overnight.

2 lymph nodes, and that pesky 9mm taken away and no drain.

Came home yesterday lazy day then another day of not doing much except for eating lunch out.

today I heared a sloshing sound in my boob, as it was 6pm I called the ward and was told if I needed to return they would ask the consultant on call to see me but it could be a long wait.

Hubby was panicking more than me, so he put his side of the story forward and I was seen within half an hour, but we were reassured by the consultant that the empty void that is left will fill with fluid and the body should work with the remaining nodes to clear it in time.

So ladies my question is have any of you had this !? I'm not convinced ! I felt like I was a nuisance, and to just get on home. 

Diddy

Thanks to everyone for your replies to my queries about radiotherapy. I guess it will be a case of suck it and see.

I have been able to share my news with family members now which is quite a relief. I had been so worried about how each person would take it but have tried very hard to be up beat myself which everyone has reflected in their reaction which is great. 

My first meeting with my surgeon is 2 weeks tomorrow. Not long at all in the scheme of things.

Thank you for your support. I do get a great deal out of this website. I hope to be able to help others in the future when I am out at the other end. Diddy

Mumoftwo

Hi Diddy, I also completed rads almost a year ago and had no trouble with it at all.  I planned all my appointments towards the end of my working day which meant leaving work early each day but more importantly to me also meant getting back home before my 2 boys were home from school thus minimising any disruption to their day. The actual radiotherapy part only takes a couple of minutes, getting into the right position takes longer! With the exception of the first appt I was in and out again in about 20 minutes or so each day. I was able to drive myself to hospital which was about a 15/20 minute drive.  It might be much more tiring for someone who has a longer journey.  My breast was very sore by the end of treatment and for another week or so afterwards. Good luck! Michelle xx

Diddy

Thanks so much for all your replies. Your words of wisdom are very much appreciated.

Diddy xxxx

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Diddy,
So glad to see how positive you are now, our imaginings are often far worse than the reality!
I completed rads a year ago now & oddly, I quite enjoyed the experience, as you get to know the team & others going through it in the same time slot.
I was able to take sick leave, so I did, but if I had to or needed to work, I would have been able to & many of us do. As ever, it's important to listen to your body & adapt if you need to.
ann x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Diddy

When you are about to start rads, there is a thread on the going through treatment section, which a few of us ladies are starting a new one as each month starts, so it would be worth posting on there when the time comes.

Personally I found rads easy, I had 15 regular and 5 boosters, my tumour was 17mm. I did work albeit reduced hours 3 days a week, but everyone is different and for some ladies it would not be possible, I think it really depends on how you feel at the time.  I arranged my sessions on my working days to be an hour or so after I finished work as I was halfway to the hospital then.

Helena xx

Diddy

Hi everyone

I have moved in to this chat room now having received biopsy result on Thursday. I actually feel a bit of a fraud in that I have a tiny 4 mm lesion which is DCIS. The screening team are being self congratulatory having picked up such a small lesion and of course I am very pleased and eternally grateful they are so good at their job

The plan is for me to meet my surgeon on June 19th and then I will have surgery within a fortnight of that meeting with 3 weeks of radiotherapy post op.

I can't believe how much calmer I feel having had results. I found the fear of the unknown quite crippling beforehand. I still do have this slightly surreal feeling though and each morning on waking the remembering is strange.

The support I found in "Probably but waiting for results" was phenomenal. Thank you so much to Helena for words of wisdom and support.

I would love to hear of people's experience of radiotherapy. I know that is a way off for me yet and because my lesion is quite tiny the radiation dose is likely to be small but I wonder how it has made people feel and whether it is possible to carry on working through the course etc.

Thank you everyone.

Diddy xxxx

GInny

Thank you
GInny

Thanks I will give them a call, it's worth a try I guess. 

My hospital is 25 miles but it can take over an hour to get there 😔

Justine I'm going in at 7:30 on the 14th ! Fingers crossed xx 

ladybowler
Community Champion

sean

Gosh it is amazing in many ways how useful this forum is, that is the first time I have known that Macmillan gives grants, that might be very useful for the ladies going forward.  Well done for posting about it.

Helena x

sean07

Hi Ginny you can apply for a grant from Macmillan for up 400 to help with the cost of treating your cancer x

JustineSanderson

Dear Ginny

I live in London and am having it done at Hillingdon Hospital. I have to be there for 7;30 for the dye. I wish it could sooner it is a long wait until the 14th. It will be great to have someone to chat to after to compare how we are getting on.
J x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Ginny

I drove myself to my rads appointments, as I worked 3 days a work, albeit only reduced hours for 4 hours a day, on those days I arranged to go straight from work as I was half way there on the other days the apts were around about the same time, 1-2pm sometimes a litle later.  They worked out good because then I would be home for late afternoon at the latest and had the rest of the evening to rest if I needed it, I am carer for my partner who has MS so I needed to be able to combine general home stuff and getting rest. 

One thing to check, if it is like my hospital, whilst I was having treatment I had free car parking.  I found the travelling to and from the hospital tiring but I listened to my body and when I felt like it I would have a nap only for 10/15 minutes in the early evening which really helped.

Your hospital will have patient transport, but the problem with that is they pick you up really early and you can be out of the house for many hours.  You could look at local charities and see if they have volunteer drivers who could take you to and from on days where you might feel that you do not want to drive.

Well we have a bright sunny morning here but have just seen toe forcast for later, yuk.  Thankfully I got my lawns cut yesterday

Helena xxx

GInny

Hi Justine,

lovely to to hear from you, and the fact we are facing the same issue.

im in Torfaen and will be going to the Velindre, where do you live?

Im going in on the 14th early morn, have the dye and wire put in situ, then op is scheduled for 1:30.

To be honest I wish it was this coming Wednesday, I just want this lump out.

How are you dealing with it ?

Keep strong xx

Ginny x

JustineSanderson

Hi Ginny

My op is 14th June as well!  So we can support each other through this.  I am having a lumpectomy plus three lymph nodes removed to check that there is no spread and then this will be followed up with three weeks radiotherapy.  Are you being admitted for your op?  I'm not, it is just been done in Day Surgery!  Please keep in touch.

Take care.

Justine x

GInny

Today I met with my Consultant, he was very optimistic about my treatment. 

My pre op assessment is on Friday and my op is on 14th June.

Im glad it's happening so quick.

Lets get this cancer out 😜

Optimissy64

Hi Ginny Sorry you find yourself here but as the others have said, this forum is a mine of useful info and support. Just re your query about transport. I don't know about grants, but unless your radiotherapy is going to be delivered many miles away, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to drive yourself, and most hospitals have a reduced or free parking arrangements for people who have daily treatments. My hospital was £1 a day. I drove every day apart from a couple of really late ones as I didn't want to drive in the rush hour and the dark (it was Jan/Feb). If you keep well hydrated and rest as much as you need to, your driving should be unaffected.  I know this doesn't answer your question but might reassure you about the rads! XXXXX

GInny

Morning All,

Thank you kindly for putting my mind at ease !

it sure is working overtime.

As Helena predicted a glorious day in Wales after a damp miserable weekend, and I'm off to keep the wheels of industry turning. Thankfully my job keeps me focused, otherwise I may crumble.

Sorry but I have another question ? Does the Macmillan Grant scheme help with transport, I have three weeks of 5 day treatments at the Velindre and I'm a bit worried about the cost as if I'm not able to drive myself then I will have to pay ?

Have a lovely day all xx

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Ginny, sorry you find yourself here, but you will find lots of help and support. The waiting and wondering can really play mind games, so keep yourself busy. Do not Google ! Use this site and McMillan. Ask as many questions as you need to to stay sane. If I can offer my experience it may give some reassurance . I'm 70, had a 23mm grade 3 stage 2 ductal tumour removed 12 weeks ago. It was a lumpectomy with total lymph node excision. I'm Er+, and HR-. Know what my lovely consultant said? It's a bog standard cancer, and we're going to remove the tumour, do chemo to mop up, do rads to stop it returning, put you on hormone treatment for five years , then monitor you for another five. I'm into my second round of chemo, and I'm managing. You will too. Whatever the outcome, BC is the most treatable of cancers. Your team want the best outcomes for you. I would also say to check with the medics re supplements. If you're Er+ you may want to reduce foods with eostrogen in until your treatment is over. No good feeding the thing, is it? This site has a leaflet advising on foods. Good luck, and do let us know how you get on. X

rubycat

Helena - I was given Adcal d3 (calcium and vit d) when I was found to be just osteopenic, so surprised if you haven't been given anything to help.   Ginny, I'm on anastrozole, which somehow strips some of the calcium out, so need more in.  Sounds like you've had a rough time lately, but take one day at a time, and there are lots of lovely people on here to help, whatever mood you're in, we all understand.

Helena - have a good day at work. Cat Very Happyxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Ginny

Good move not googling, if anything put it in the search bar on this website and see if there is anything.

I know for myself I am having a blood test next month to check my vit d levels, but that is only because I had a bone density done last year, before I was even diagnosed, and it has shown that I have osteoporosis in my spine which, with the hormone tablet I am on, Tamoxifen, my GP needs to keep an eye on it, she did say it is quite possible that I will not need a supplement, but if I do she will prescribe it.

Right off to bed now as I am up for work tomorrow 😞 bet the weather changes back to being lovely again.

Helena xxx

GInny

I will let you know xx

Vitamin D was something a friend mentioned that could be helpful for BC.

so I thought I would ask the question rather than Google, and end up with another sleepless night xx

thank you xx 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Ginny

No problem 🙂

Just take it one step at a time, let me know how you get on Wednesday

With regard to your question on Vitamin D, is it in relation to bc or generally?

Helena x

GInny

Thank you Helena.
I have been busy navigating my way around and hope to grasp it all soon.

Thank you xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Ginny

Gosh I am so sorry about your father passing xx

You certainly will not have had time to grieve and now this, but we are all here to help and support you in whatever way we can.  There is also the wonderful helpline on here where you can talk to which might help as well.

Sending you a hug

Helena xxx

GInny

Thank you Helena,

As with all of us it has come as such a shock, just 4 weeks after my father passed suddenly it's like I have had no time to grieve and I'm thrown into this situation.

i hope to gain a wealth of knowledge from this forum 

thank you 

Ginny 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Ginny

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum where you will find lots of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here who are going through or have been through what you have.

I would strongly recommend that you do not google generally, as you know it can be terrifying to read some of the stuff out there, which is out of date and misinformation.  There is a very good Information and Support section on here on the main page where you will find lots of publications that you can download as and when you want to.

These booklet might be worth reading and may help you with the sort of questions you might want to ask:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/publication/understanding-your-pathology-rep...

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/publication/breast-cancer-you-coping-diagnos...

Let us know how you get on Wednesday, we are all here to help and support you.

Helena xxx

GInny

Newly Diagnosed

Sorry, but I'm looking for advice and reassurance !

I was diagnosed last Tues (23rd May) with a Grade 2 9mm Oestrogen fed  Breast lump.

im meeting with my Consultant on Wednesday and wondered if anyone could give me some questions I need to ask, I'm in quite a fog, and have avoided reading the horror stories on Google.

Also if anyone has any opinions on Vitamin D

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you