Newly Diagnosed

Hi

I’m newly diagnosed with BC. As in this afternoon. Came as a massive shock as I’m sure it does to everyone. Still in the why me phase. I have had more biopsies taken to look at lymph nodes and find out on Thursday what order they want to do the treatment in. Quite scared but reading all your lovely posts helps.

WhyteFawn

Hello and welcome to this forum, where you have already seen the wonderful ladies on here will help and support you in your journey.

We all know that “why me” phase and then we get to ok its me and I will fight this phase.  Just take each day at a time, dont think too far ahead because you can not deal with what you dont know and you will cause yourself anxiety that you do not need.  Once you get your treatment plan things do tend to be easier because you know what you are dealing with and have the reassurance of a plan.

Sending you a hug

Helena xxx

Hi WhyteFawn,

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you xx

Glad you’ve found your way here Wf.
Just come & chat whenever you need to.
ann x

Hi Whyte Fawn - it’s a weird place to be - like wandering off into another dimension with no map. I was diagnised a couple of weeks ago and whilst I’m still terrified about chemo startng next week, I am so much calmer and prepared from being on here and listening to the shared experiences of the many posts. It almost ‘normalises’ the bizarre siatuation I’ve found myself in. 

Keep us posted on your progress/ treatment plan. Take care, Jacqui

Hi WF

thought I’d just say this board is awesome, I didn’t think I’d use it much but it’s been a great help.

The waiting is the worst bit, but once they know the best plan for you, they go for it, so be reassured by that.

Welcome, you will find lots of support here. Sending a hug. X

Hi WhyteFawn, I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago today (feels like forever ago now!!).  Treatment plan appointment on Monday with surgery booked for 20th September.  You have definitely come to the right place for support, it’s just incredible how many ladies are out there to respond no matter what time of day or night.  You will definitely get strength from this forum I promise you, you are not on your own on this journey.  One step at a time xx

Update is that at lease 2 lymph nodes are affected. CT scan tomorrow then a bone scan next week. I hope this is all routine as I’m now really scared it’s spread somewhere else.

Hi WhyteFawn,
I am sending you my best wishes. I was told on the 8th of August after mammograms and ultrasound that I had bc. I had biopsies on the 11th. I got my biopsy results on the 22nd- grade 3 IDC with node involvement.
On the 23rd I had a liver scan and chest X-ray and tomorrow I have my bone scan. I am more anxious now than when I was initially diagnosed. Over analysing every ache and pain and my formerly positive attitude has plummeted a little.
I am hoping it gets better once I know my treatment plan which is more than likely to start with chemo. I am waiting on some dental work being completed before I can start my chemo and despite my dentist being aware of my situation she appears in no rush to accommodate my needs.
We will get through this together
X

Hi happygolucky280

I know exactly what you mean. I was hoping to go today and get something concrete in place to move forward. Now I have to have more scans it’s dented my positive attitude and more worries are starting to creep in. They are also testing me for the faulty gene in case they want to do a double mastectomy rather than just the one after chemo. There is no BC in my family that I am aware of but the Dr said that there has to be a first case. So they’ll test me anyway.

Hiya Jencat, yes I am glad i am being very thoroughly checked over. Trying not to let my mind wander down the what ifs path.

WhyteFawn,
I was tested with my mum for the gene in 2012 we didn’t have it. My mums twin had breast cancer at 53, my mum at 60, my maternal cousin at 37 (her mum hasn’t had it) and now me at 41.
Due to family history I qualified for annual mammograms from 40. I had my first one in Nov 2016 I was told it was clear, then in April 2017 my breast symptoms started.
I have my bone scan tomorrow at 2:30 and I was advised to get my children looked after overnight tomorrow because of the radiation risk from the dye.
Before any treatment has even started the cancer is so disruptive and time consuming. Having to explain to the kids why I won’t be with them tomorrow without alerting them to the fears that it may have spread further than the lymph nodes.

A day at a time though eh? Good days and bad days ahead But we will get through them as best we can.
X

Hi happygolucky280 hope you’re bone scan goes ok. I have my CT scan this afternoon but done scan isn’t until next week. I have an appointment booked for results on 7th September which feels like such a long time.

Hi Jencat when do you get your results?

I was awake a lot last night almost too terrified to sleep. At the age of 34 you don’t expect to be going through something like this. I’m hoping I have my age going for me and even if any other cancer is found that it will be treatable.

You get your results 2 days before me then please let me know how you get on.

I have a friend who has acute leukaemia and has spent a lot of time in hospital lately. She told me to make the most of every day you’re not in hospital. And it made me realise that she’s right. I can sit here feeling sorry for myself waiting for results day. Or I can go out and live my life whilst I’m still feeling normal (whatever that is!) It struck a chord with me.

Hi WhyteFawn
How was your scan? My bone scan was ok, I got myself in a panic as I was watching the screen while the scan took place and decided I could see hot spots. My breast nurse also phoned me to tell me I have an appointment on Tuesday with the surgeons to discuss my results she had been trying to get me an appointment with oncology yesterday for Tuesday but said their clinic was full but she would get me in somehow. So I am trying to not read anything into this change, previously i was led to believe I would see oncology to discuss my treatment and now it’s the surgeons to discuss my results. PANIC

I am not good at the weekends I like the routine of the week with school etc to keep the days passing. I so hope I don’t wallow between now and Tuesday.

Thanks Ann-m
I was in at the maggies centre today and they said it’s not about getting the fastest treatment etc it’s about getting the correct treatment and that nothing catastrophic was going to happen in the weeks it takes to get started.
I am trying not to think about it until I have to on Tuesday.
Thank you
X

Hi happygolucky280.

My CT scan was fine. The contrast dye does give you’ve really weird feeling but doesn’t last long. The department was really quiet too so I was in and out really quickly.

What was the bone scan like? I have mine next Thursday.

Have a great bank holiday weekend. I’m going to do the things I enjoy as I am fit and able to do so. I may have cancer but it doesn’t control me and I’m going to continue to live my life how I want. My positive mental attitude came back today and I’m hoping to hang on to it this time.

Hi ladies. I found out last night that I have bc and small lesions on my spine. Im 36, with 3 young children and feel lost in my own head. The nausea from anxiety is wrecking my stomach, having trouble eating. Any suggestions??

KTP sorry to see you here Hun but welcome x I can’t offer any advice on nausea as unfortunately for me when I am stressed I eat (hence the need to lose loads of weight) x come on here and vent, shout etc and take support from our virtual hugs and good wishes there are so many of us who know those anxious first days do you have any idea of what your treatment will be yet as once you know it does get better ? to you x

Thanks ladies. I think it’s adrenaline overdrive. I’m booked for a single mastectomy next week then they’ll confirm whether I start hormone therapy or chemo three weeks later.