Newly Diagnosed

I hope I have come to the right forum, i was diagnosed Dec 13th DCIS high grade after getting call back from routine mammogram, had further mammo ultrasound and biopsy.
Friday I had an MRI and will have to wait til Jan 10th to get results I am petrified. I was shocked at the diagnosis wasnt expecting it at all. I am booked for a lumpectomy on 16th January but I dont unerstand what the MRI is for, my sister died of breast cancer aged 46 and my son aged 33 has lung cancer whether this has any thing to do with it I dont know.
I dont remember much of what the consultant said it all seems a bit of a blur. I am very emotional at the moment, i am wishing my life away waiting for the 10th so i know if anything was found on MRI.
Lyn

Hi Lyn1957

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well the support you receive here you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

I was told categorically that lung cancer and BC are NOT linked in any way (sister died of lung cancer), but the fact that you lost your sister to BC might be why they are doing the MRI.

I had a recall from a routine mammogram (my 2nd) and went through repeat mammos, ultrasound and core biopsy, back in January, so I know how shocked and frightened you must feel.

The ‘waiting room’ waiting for results is the worst part of the whole process (I went on to have WLE (lump removed + some surrounding tissue) and SNB (operation to remove a few lymph nodes to see if it has spread - it goes there first!) then radiotherapy and now I’m on hormone therapy and back at work.

It’s a scary process, but believe me, you are in the worst part of it at the moment. It gets easier as soon as you have a treatment plan. Try to keep doing the things you enjoy, to distract yourself. !0th Jan WILL get here, and you worrying about the results won’t change what they are (easy to say, I know. wish I’d been able to follow my own advice!!)

Were you introduced to a BCN (Breast Cancer Nurse)? If so, give her a ring - she will be able to explain what the consultant said to you. Mine was brilliant - she made notes during the consultant’s meeting and went over them with me afterwards - with a box of tissues to mop up my tears!

Hold on to the thought that very many ladies are out there who have survived this beast, and are happy and healthy years later. I was amazed by how many people knew someone who had it years ago - and treatments are improving all the time.

Two golden rules I’ve learnt on these forums:

1. Don’t google - you’ll scare yourself. Much of the info on the internet is out of date or just plain wrong. Stick to the bits of BCC and MacMillan that are relevant to you at the moment (don’t look too far ahead - eg. chemo and secondaries may never be relevant for you, so don’t worry about them yet)

2. No question is too silly and all emotions are relevant. Rant away. We understand.

Good Luck. I’ll be thinking of you on the 10th. Let us know how you get on.

From one Lyn to another… I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, its a terrible time waiting to find out what is happening but This site is wonderful when you need reassurance, comfort and support. I had an MRI because of my family history so you have probably had the same because of your sister. I’m sorry you have to wait so long, the waiting is crucifying. Try to be kind to yourself and trynot to worry Too much. Easier said than done I know I was a wreck, I wouldnt wish this waiting torture on anyone. You have so much going on with your son being I’ll too… That’s a lot to cope with so I’m sending you big hugs. My MRI turned out clear and I pray you get the same result. I had my lumpectomy 2 weeks ago and it’s not too bad. I also had axillary clearance at the same time and I can honestly say when you know it’s all been cut out and rotting away at the bottom of a bin you will feel so much better, a little bruised but definitley better. The exercises they give you to do after the operation have made a huge difference to my lhealng and the stiffness has almost gone. ive pretty much got full range of movement in my shoulder which is great as i can start to do things again and I feel like I’m getting back to some normality Yay! I still have a lump under my arm where the lymph was removed but that is normal and takes a little while to go down. I’m hoping with the exercises it won’t be too long. The operation is doable… You WILL feel better once its done so try to see it as another tick on your list to recovery.
Keep us posted on how you are and remember there are many willing ears and friends here ready to listen…
More hugs
Lynne xx

Hi Lyn1957 I had routine mammogram and was recalled and on the 15<sup>th</sup> November I was diagnosed with IDC. And on the 7<sup>th</sup>December I hade WLE,SNB,and therapeutic mammoplasty( breast reduction) on my right breast I was Erpos/+ and I am taking Anastrozole and I am waiting to start Rads. Due to a blood condition it was suggested that I wait to have my good breast reduced to avoid complications. I found waiting for results is the worst part of the whole process You have come to the right site the lades on this site are lovely and are always there to offer help and support. Good luck for the 10th

Hi Lyn and welcome, even though we would all rather NOT meet here!

I just wanted to say that providing it *IS* DCIS with no invasive element then, if there’s any “good” news in this lottery, that is it! In DCIS the cancer is contained within the duct and HAS NOT SPREAD! It is completely removable.

You will have surgery, normally lumpectomy unless the tumour is very large or in several separate tumours, and then probably a few sessions of radiation in case there are any stray cancer cells, and hopefully that will be all you have to endure!

Fingers crossed for you! I won’t say don’t worry, because one cannot help it! Hugs xxx

Hi Ladies,
Sorry not responded but have been laid up with the dreaded flu bug, I’m really hoping i can shift it soon as I have my op in 2 weeks and really don’t want to delay it. Ive lost a little bit of weight which is a bonus through not eating.
Thank you all for your kind words of support it really helps reading other peoples stories and see the all round support given. I am trying not to think too hard about next week and getting the results from the MRI.
My mind plays tricks on me if i think too long about results, the waiting room has to be the absolute worse. I will update you to let you know how it all goes. I am going back to my bed try and get rid of the flu.

Take care everyone xxx

Well the results from the MRI were good only bad news was lump is bigger than they first thought, I now have to prepare myself for the surgery on 16th Jan. Having WLE which i know is standard, feel very scared about it all and not looking forward to another long wait for results.
I am trying to think positively about the surgery but just so worried incase they don’t get clear margins then I will have to go through it all again. I know what i’m going through is minor compared to some of you on here but it’s still such a worry.

Hi Lyn1957 glad it was good news .I felt the same as you as if I had got off lightly compared to others on this site and then GIJaneh posted me this message ,Ann that’s how Benchland started, with people feeling guilty about not having BAD enough cancer!!! What cancer is good?? Anyway, in Benchland you’ll find a huge lake (of guilt) so toss yours into it! There are signs that say “no fishing” (for the guilt) you… find the lake - chuck that guilt girl! She was so right no one asked for this it turns your life up side down and no matter how bad it is we all worry take care and good luck for the 16<sup>th</sup> Big hugs AnnG

Hi Lynn.
I’ll be thinking of you on 16th. Ill be 2 weeks post WLE (they didnt do SNLB in the end) and getting my post op final path result (with luck) on 16th. Even if I do have to go through it all again I won’t be as worried as the op and recovery have been very straightforward for me. The very very nice anaesthetist made sure I had loads of anti sickness stuff and so I felt fine.
Do post after your op to let us know how you are and also during the time that you have to await final results.
I too feel that I have got off lightly (thus far). No guilt though just thankful.

Hi Toriaconey good to hear your recovery straight forward. Good luck for the 16<sup>th</sup> hope all goes well .do post and let us know final results nice to hear good news Big hugs AnnG

Good Luck Lyn. I have my op on Thursday at Walsgrave Hospital. I’m scared too, I had lung cancer 12 years ago, and survived after op. Breast cancer seems worse because it is assault on our feminity. But then I’d rather be scarred than worse!

Hi Toriaconey, wish you all the luck in the world for your results on wednesday, it’s nice to know everything went well with your op and recovery has been good, please let us know how you get on.
Hi SueH will be thinking of you on thursday I’m going into Kettering Hospital so not a million miles from from you. I do hope it all goes smoothly, please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. you really have been through it with having lung cancer in the past. My son has lung cancer had a lung removed 18 months ago.
Best wishes to you both
Lyn x