Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly diagnosed 7/1/11 just cannot believe it

12 REPLIES 12
clarehelen

Re: Newly diagnosed 7/1/11 just cannot believe it

Claire
Very useful information very well put.

I feel I had a similiar diagnosis and plan of treatment.

Definate treatment plan on 19 for 27 jan op of mastecomy as have two small areas in opposite parts of breast.

I am thinking due to sister and nan having cancer and mastecomies and area underarm one at similiar age and other as older lady.i am having the lot ..auxillary written on notes next to mastecomy which I suppose means they look into lymp area when operating and I think they're giving me chemo/on tabs for 5 yrs similiar as younger lady (just fall into this category at 42/nearly 43.) I am staying positive but obviously got ct and bone scan so feeling apprehensivescared.... but be out by lunch time ....and its all happening and lots of managed it and out the other end and there to help us...clare

Mary_grace

Dear Claire, Hope you are doing well and that the shock is wearing off a bit. 7/01/11 was quite a day for both of us. I was dx then too so am a newbie in the bc world too. Like yours my plan is to continue as much as normal as possible. I fully intend to work as much as possible and am lucky because I work in a university and am quite flexible. I've said I'll write and work with my students via e mail even if I'm not up to running full week courses. Your pre school music classes sound like a great idea. I wish I'd had something like that when my kids were little. Maybe lists are a side effect of bc?! I am usually totally scatty but find I'm making lists of everything I need to rearrange, who can cover what, where I need to be when. I will just be so glad when the waiting is over. I guess you probably feel the same, it's a strange kinds of limbo. I'm finding milestones are helping. Tomorrow it's one week on from dx and then only one full week left before treatment. Keep strong, MaryGrace xx

Emma-30

My chemo nurse said your immune system is at its lowest on days 7-10, hope that helps xxx

clairer25

Thank you all so much for your advice, kind words and support. I plan on taking it one step at a time like you have all advised and carry on writing lists etc. I have been advised to just speak to the oncologist about starting the pre school musical classes as I will be around children who carry alot of infections. I don't know what to do really want to start them but know that my health is more important. For the ladies that have started chemo, is there a particular time during chemo when your immune system is low? I have read on the internet around the 10th day but I am sure it may effect people differently. Its lovely to meet you all, and wish you all the best with your treatments. x

AvenueSue_

Dear Claire,
Just wanted to say that I am very sorry about your news. This is the club that no one wants to join. You will get lots of support on here and from the BCC team. I was dx in October and it does get easier once your treatment has started.
Lots of love and thinking of you.
Sue xxx

juliebtaurus

Hi Claire sorry you have to join us here but you certainly have come to the right place for support and advice from such Fab ladies.They have certainly got me through my journey and i just finished all my treatment 1st Nov ( Lumpectomy,chemo x6, and 20 x Rads now on tamoxifen for 5 years)there is some great tips for getting through treatment on starting my pink road of chemo thread page 2 ,but best advice is to take a step at a time and concentrate on getting youre surgery over then youre treatment plan after that .PS dont go googling and reading too much on here and frightening yourself also and you can message me anytime it you want for advice, and luckily i havent been too bad at all throughout treatment but was certainly terrified to start but it is all do-able xx big hugs Julie

Bunny3

Hi Claire,

Sorry you have had to join us on here, I am 34 and have a 17 month old little girl. I found a lump in my right breast in Nov had a biopsy and was told it was cancer, I had a lumpectomy on 23rd Dec and also sentinal node biopsy, got my results on the 4th Jan and I have a grade 3 cancer which had spread to 1 of the 3 nodes they removed therefore I am due to go back in for surgery on 13th Jan for a full clearance of my Lymph nodes, was also told that I am HER positive therefore I am due to have chemo, radiotherapy and Herceptin. I know how you are feeling with regards to your daughter, I just think of our baby girl and my partner all the time, but she keeps us busy and certainly keeps our mind off things, and like you said we must keep positive for our childrens sake.
This site is really great and has really helped me over the last few weeks as this is such a shock to all of us.
Please keep positive and keep smiling : ) xx
Donna xx

SarahAL

Hi, sorry to hear you have been diagnosed
I just wanted to say I think you are doing the right think by carrying on with your new business. I found treatment easier than I expected an worked throughout most of it. Keeping working helped so much to keep things in perspective, as normal life didn't come to an end because of BC. There are huge shocks but after each one I found I could rally and make adjustments, and then sort of 're-group' to a new routine. I am a huge list maker too, and again this also helped, eg if I got panicky I wrote a list of the things that were bothering me and then just put it away, after noting down anything I could do to improve things.... breaking things down into do-able bits is a huge help.
Keep posting here, and bets of luck
Sarah

staycalmandcar

Hi - Happy New Year!!?

So sorry you have joined us, but least you have found us and can talk to people who 'know'.

I was diagnosed the end of nov, had lots of tests and am now waiting to start my 1st chemo tomorrow. I'm 41, 2 children, teacher, with no family history of cancer of any form, so like you i was (can still be) in a bit of a whirl.

I think the advice to not google everything (albeit tempting) is good, although i have found the internet good to explain abbreviations that turn up in letters from the hospital.

It's a rubbish way to start the year - a rubbish thing fullstop - but in moments of despair and panic i remind myself that I was the one who went to the docs, which was absolutely the right thing to do and because of this they can start to fix it. I think the unfortunate thing is that we feel well until the medicene starts!

Best of luck,

x

Piper

Hi Claire,

So sorry you've arrived here but you're in the right place. I was diagnosed 2 years ago next month and I so clearly remember the initial confusion over diagnosis and the panic I was trying to control. As soon as I posted on here and realised I was not alone, it was such a help and I'm sure you will find the same. I found once I understood what was going on I could cope better - Like Emma I read far too much in the early stages and scared myself, so decided to take it one stage at a time. I went from one appointment to the next and dealt with that before going on to the next thing. Keep asking questions of your healthcare team, a notebook is a good idea to jot down your questions as well as their answers and remember to ask anything you need to on here. Great that you have family support too, I had the same and don't know how I would have managed without. Take care and keep posting,

Di x

Emma-30

Hi Claire, so sorry you've had to join here, but you've really come to the best place!
I was diagnosed in April, I'd just turned 30 😞 I've gone through everything you are about to face. I didn't understand it when ladies said that this part that you are in is the worst bit. It really is, you'll be feeling so worried and confused, we all know exactly how that feels! Once you get started with your treatment it makes you feel a lot more in control instead of just waiting all the time! Please don't spend your time googling like I did! There's a lot of rubbish written on some websites.

I was also told my cancer was oestrogen fed too, then they said it wasn't. It could mean that you're Triple Negative like me and you wont need to take any un-necessary meds. But you'll find out more once you've had your lumpectomy and they can find out what it was feeding on.

I'm a bit like Monica from friends too! always writing lists! I used to turn up to my appointments with pages full of questions!
It's good that you have something to focus on with your music classes!
I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday, Emma xxx

Midge

Hi Claire

So sorry you are joining us. You are at a very confusing time and it is a good idea to write everything down, or even get someone else to take notes at appointments. I was 38 at dx and my children were 2 and 4, there are quite a few women on here around thirty so you are not alone. I was originally told my cancer was hormone responsive, but then told it wasn't. I think sometimes, especially if you have had a baby recently they expect it will be. Please post any questions you have, there us always someone to help and oohing the helpline is very useful to clarify what you have been told. Take care of yourself.

Debx

clairer25

Newly diagnosed 7/1/11 just cannot believe it

Hi ladies, I am sorry we have to meet in this situation but here goes. I am 32 my daughter just turned 1 on NYE and I have been diagnosed with invasive cancer in my right breast. I have been overloaded with information but this is what I have taken away from it:
Pre assesment on 11/1/11
Lumpectomy and Lymphnode Biopsy on 25/1/11
2 weeks later results and checkup
My consultant advised because of my age I will be having Chemo
This will start straight away as long as I have healed
I will have either a 6 block or an 8 block
Radiation for then 5 weeks
I was originally told that the cancer was estrogen fed and I would take medication for 5 years afterwards to stop the cancer feeding from the estrogen. I got a phone call 2 hours later to let me know that they read my notes wrong and it is not estrogen based. My mind went blank so I am going to make a phone call tomorrow to find out what this means.

I am so confused, angry, sad but also remaining positive that hopefully it will be a year out of my life with treatment and I think it is going to be a rough year, but then I will have many more healthy years to watch my daughter grow up which is the most important thing to me.

Today is my plan of action day, I am a bit anal and like to plan and write everything down that I need to do.

I am about to start a new business next week running Pre School musical classes, I am still going to do it but just not launch as many classes as I wanted to. I think this is what will pull me through. On the days when I am not feeling to great my Mum and Sister are going to step in and take the class but hopefully this wont be too many days.

I look forward to going on this journey with you all, sharing our experiences and hope to gain lots of knowledge from you all.

Claire. x