Newly diagnosed: Mx or WLE - how to choose ?

I am new to this site. Its taken me two weeks to pluck up the courage to register and a day to pluck up the courage to post.
I am in my mid 40’s and was diagnosed with DCIS in the ducts behind the nipple, plus a small (16mm) invasive tumour near the nipple, (at about 7 o’clock,) on 16th Dec. Initially I was offered a WLE with nipple removal, but after some discussion was offered a mastectomy (mx) with immediate recon via implant – the type that are inflated and then replaced with silicon implants later, plus nipple reconstruction. I am concerned about what I will look like post surgery – would love to still be able to wear a bikini on holiday and the odd strappy top, ( although by and large I am quite a cover up sort of person.) The WLE would involve me loosing about 25% of my breast tissue as I am small breasted (A cup). I have always been pretty happy with the top half of me – bottom half wrecked by 3 c sections, varicose veins, leg surgery as a child, and flab. The surgeon feels that the mx would give me the best results cosmetically and would probably avoid rads but is happy to do either WLE or MX. Then I have read through much of the info and discussion on this site and find it is not all so straightforward as it seems. I really dread loosing a breast and nipple and feeling that I have some foreign object stuck inside me, which might look OK but will feel all wrong and that I will hate and resent. I would like to keep the breast I have, but obviously can’t, but wonder if I would be happier keeping whatever the surgeon can leave behind and coping with the consequences. If I don’t have mx I would need rads (don’t know about chemo in either case,) and believe that rads also further damages any tissue left behind, so if I go down the WLE route I could end up really deformed.
Has anybody out there faced this decision? Had any positives or negatives about the decision they made, or has any advice or insights to offer that will help me decide what I should do? Perhaps you too are facing this decision? What are your thoughts? Theoretically I have surgery booked for 12th Jan but don’t feel I can consent at this point.
Of course I should really be worrying about the cancer – its seen off a few family members over the years. I wonder if there is a huge defence mechanism in there that won’t admit I have it – after all I don’t feel ill.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Am also posting on the surgery thread.

Hi there oakleaf
i have just seen this this post and am in this situation now. I am very interested to hear what you did in the end and were you happy with your results?
really hoping you are still on this site as you sound like we have very similar thoughts about this.
deb

Hi debcully and oakleaf if your still on here.I was in the same stuation as you and had near on the same diagnoses. I had DCIS and 17mm invasive and in the same place as yours and had to lose my nipple. I was offered MX with immidiate recon or WLE and after much thought decided on WLE but when I had my operation it turned out that I had to have a central MX which took away quite a bit of my breast. At first I wasnt’ bothered by it and was just glad to get the cancer out but now (5 years on) I do sometimes wish that I had the MX and recon.I was 45 when diagnosed. It’s a hard thing to chose, we just don’t know how we will feel later on. Good luck with your decision.
Melxx

Hi to you both,
I was not offered a WLE , tumour was too large , so I had a skin sparing Mx with immediate recon. I then had the tissue expander inflated over several weeks . This was then replaced by a permanent prothesis and my surgeon made a reasonably good job. She had already told me that I would not be symmetrical due to the shape and size of my other breast. By this I mean when I am undressed my natural breast is full at the side and no implant can replace the tissue at the side, so my bc breast looks much smaller, however when I wear a T shirt bra I look perfectly formed. In fact my surgeon asked if she could take photographs of without and with the bra’s I wear and even told the bcn to recommend t shirt bras for smaller breasted ladies like me . I was only a 36B. I hope this helps you to come to a decision. I had to have Chemo but chose not to have Rads as I had a spinal fusion when I was 14 so my ribs are in the wrong place so I was scared of them breaking.
I know there is so much to think of , so I wish you all the best. When you have made your decision, just stick with it, dont look back and never think " what if " as that will cause you distress. Sending you love , hugs and positive vibes Tracy xxx

Omg stressy messy what the bloody hell is a central mx? And can’t you have any recon done now? Deb

Oakleaf I had a similar decision to make but I am bigger breasted, but in the end I decided to choose what I saw as the easiest option for me which was the WLE. I didn’t loose my nipple either but my breast is about 25% smaller than the other but It looks fine. I could have the other one reduced but not fancying that at the moment.
I was told that even with an MX rads may still be needed and to be honest I founds Rads ok, and I have just had a clear mammogram 18 months on so I am pleased.
My point would be that whatever represents the least stress is probably the best route, whatever that may be. Getting through this treatment is tough enough without making it any harder. However I think surgery techniques are so good now that the results are often surprisingly better than expected. My scar is still a bit lumpy but I am not displeased with it. I guess it is about trusting your surgeon and you could do a bit of research on them.
hope this helps
suzanne x

Hi debcully it is a partial MX I have the same scar as there would be with a full MX but still have some breast left. Surgeon said he wanted to make sure he got clear margins as I had grade 3 DCIS aswel as the grade 2 invasive. Must admit I wasn’t expecting him to take so much lol. No one mentioned anything about a central/partial MX to me just said WLE, I do remember the BCN asking me if I would like to see pictures of what to expect as I was going to loose my nipple but I said no. Don’t get me wrong I’m not regreting my decision to have WLE even though the end result was not what I expected but sometimes do get a bit peed off having to faff about with my prosthesis, don’t bother with it when I’m in doors and sometimes forget to wear it when I go out lol. My Oncologist said I could have a reduction in my good breast to even me up but I don’t want more surgery.
Melxx

Oh I’m having a wobble. Really really really don’t want this surgery. Don’t want to be mutilated. Just want it all to go away :frowning:

Oh god sorry if I scared you. My situation is not the same as your’s. Please talk through everything with your surgeon or BCN tell them your worry’s. Most WLE and MX recons have very good results. It is a horrible time and we all have wobble times. I remember crying loads and wishing it would all go away and even for just a moment thinking maybe if I ignored it it would go away. Big ((hug)) for you.
Melxx

No you didn’t scare me was just having a wobble anyway. What you have done actually is given me another question to ask when I go on thursday. Can I just ask how much smaller your bc boob is now to your other? the surgeon said mine would be higher and smaller but I have visions of it being ‘lumpy’. Is yours? I have had some before and after photos sent from a very kind lady on here surprised it was better than I expected re the nipple and her boobs just looked the same size as each other so that was good x

Hi all, can’t help anyone decide either way on WLE or Mx, just wanted to say I had Mx on 12.12.12 and will still need rads after chemo. It really depends on your situation. I had 3cm invasive tumour with snb. Three nodes removed, one had cancer cells in it. Couldn’t even contemplate WLE as was worried in case they left ‘something’ in there, so chickened out and went the whole hog. I do not regret it. Good luck with your decisions and with your surgery whatever you decide.
Poemsgalore xx

Hi Deb, just reading your post, I really feel for you, was it today you had your MRI, hopefully you will start by having some good results from them. I was never given any decision to make, my surgeon just told me what was best for me, and with plenty of discussion, I fully trusted her, and went along with what the team said was best in my case, not saying I never challenge them on certain things, I always had a list, followed with, ‘is there any thing else I should be asking’. Dig deep Deb, you will know what to accept. Take care, chat again. from Jane XX

Hope all was well withthe MRI Deb. Thinking of you.
M x

Hi Debcully, My BC breast is about half the size not lumpy though. It’s a good idea to ask questions, I didn’t ask anything just let them do their thing lol. As I said before no one mentioned central/partial MX to me. The first I knew was when the surgeon did his rounds with other staff and said " this lady has had central MX". Maybe if I had looked at the pictures when my BCN offered I would of known what to expect. Hope everything went ok with the MRI.
Melxx

It was an experience millymolly lol. Thought the music was loud…till the machine turned on!!! wasvgladvwhen it was over but in the whole spectrum was a doddle x

Omg stressy half the bloody size? Does it look ‘perkier’ now tho? And are u gonna have the other one done In time? X

Sorry just reading one of your posts again and you’ve already said you’re not going to! was that ur only option or could you have had it to look bigger to match the other one? X

ermmm it’s higher lol not saggy like my good one but I wouldn’t say it’s perkier as it doesn’t really look like a normal breast. No wasn’t given the option of having it enlarged just a reduction on my good breast,
melxx