Newly diagnosed and in shock!

Hi All,
I’ve just turned 40 and live on my own in West Yorkshire…
Been to hospital today after having a lump biopsied last week…the surgeon at the time said he was 98% sure it was just a cyst…
I went back today and have been told it is primary breast cancer (although I have had Malignant Melanoma in my abdomen previously, approx 6 yrs ago)…
I’ve been very up and down since then…I’m quite a strong person emotionally (having previously been through renal failure, a kidney transplant and skin cancer) so took the news on the chin (everyone kept asking me if I was ok) and came home to mull things over…
I’m to have a Wide Local Excision and a Sentinal Node Biopsy in two weeks, followed by radiotherapy and wondered if anyone else had had these and what can I expect…is there anything practical I should try and do prior to the op (batch make meals, clean the house from top to bottom, hire someone to walk my dog temporarily?)
My partner and I have only been together 8 months and he’s in a worse state than me, I’ve spent more time today worrying about him and my mum and dad and how they’re coping with the news than I have about myself and whats going to happen…any advice, support or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Jane.

Hi Jane and welcome to the BCC forums where you will find lots of support and shared experiences from your fellow users.

In addition, BCC can offer you information and further support ideas some specific to ‘Younger women’ and the following link will take you to the page where you can download information about being newly diagnosed and undergoing treatments along with lots more to help you through the coming months:

Our helpliners are also on hand to offer a listening ear and information on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays.

Take care

Lucy

Hi Jane
So sorry you have had to join us it really is the pits, but you will find lots of support on here and im sure more ladies will be along to advise you soon.
I was diagnosed in feb this year and had WLE with full node clearance as has 3/20 nodes affected, I found the surgery the easiest part so far , I was laid up for a few days and rested but was up and about relatively quickly , I assume you have been told chemo is not necessary that is the hardest, completely knocks you down , I am due to start Rads on monday and have been told this is easier than the chemo, I have had my Rads planning and now believe it will be an hour visit each day to have the treatment, which is meant to be tiring ,
Its hard to advise how to prepare but as you live alone cooking a batch of meals would be good, then you can just pop in oven when feeling tired, I found walking the dog impossible for first few weeks after op and also chemo so arranged for a neighbour to do it, To be honest you do not know how you will feel physically until it happens, I have found the emotional siade the worst to deal with, Good luck with your treatment and keep in touch we are all here to help each other through this
Janice x

Hi Jane, I too am 40 and recently (17th May) diagnosed with BC. To borrow a cliché, it has been an emotional rollercoaster. I also took the initial diagnosis very calmly, my husband was in bits. It was only after he started to talk to friends he managed to pull himself together - I also told him that I’m not in my coffin yet!
One thing I would say is that they told me the same thing about the treatment I could expect and so it came as a massive shock after my surgery to find I was recommended for chemotherapy even though the cancer is stage 1 and hadn’t spread to my lymph nodes. THis is because my cancer was found to be HER2 positive. I’ll also be on a year of herceptin and five years of hormone blockers (tamoxifen). I sort of thought radiotherapy would be fine and was pleased to hear I didn’t need to lose my breast. I did’t know that until they have done the lumpectomy / SNB they don’t know everything about the cancer or what treatment you will need. So whilst it’s good to have the plan of the surgery and radiotherapy in your head just be aware that might change as information comes in.
I really never expected to have cancer at my age and feel like surely I must be more ‘sick’ to have such a serious illness. It is a massive thing to go through and I am still at the very early stages myself. It is one day at a time.

Hi Ladies,
Sorry you find yourselves here. I’m a bit further down the line, so hope I can help in some small way. I was dx March 2011 aged 41, had mx end March 2011, full node clearance end April, chemo May - Sept, Rads in Oct, started Tamoxifen in Oct and finished my Herceptin this week - a very long 18 months so far and further surgery is ahead if I decide on a reconstruction. One thing I can say, is the journey hasn’t been great, but better than expected and it is do-able.
Practically Jane, in the days leading upto surgery keep hydrated as much as possible, a bit of pre-hab, and drink plenty when coming out of anaesthetic - can ward off dehydration headaches which are awful I find. I also made smoothies and added protein powder as protein helps the body repair itself apparently, and had these before and after my ops. I had a mx so your experience will be different to mine, but I was in hospital for one night for the mx and didn’t stay over night for the node clearance.
I could only wear button front nightshirts for a while, couldn’t get arm over my head and baggy front buttoning shirts were a godsend - may be beneficial for you too?? I also slept with a cuddly teddy on my chest to create a ‘tent-like’ effect and keep the weight of the duvet off the surgery area.
Have a look at the exercises that you will be given, I think they are still on this site somewhere, so that you can judge your pre-arm movements and have something to aim for - I’m not sure how sore you will be or how big your WLE will be though?? Make sure you do whatever exercises you are given by your physio religiously, but without pushing yourself too far, it really does help in the long-run.
Radiotherapy is relatively easy in comparison, I used Aloe Vera Gel 99% and got my onc to approve my use of it as I didn’t want to use Aqueous cream, and I’m still using the Gel now, but this can be obtained by prescription from your GP (you should be able to get a certificate from your GP for free prescriptions if you haven’t got one already).
Partners & family, yes, mine were more emotional (and still are) about my whole cancer journey, it is difficult when you are emotionally strong and people can’t understand why you aren’t a total crumbling jibbering wreck - it did happen to me on some occasions, but sometimes ‘it is what it is’ and just take each day as it comes. When I was initially diagnosed, I went away (booked before diagnosis) and this helped me to get my head around the journey and bring some sense of normality to my life away from everyone - I had to block out how my parents/partner was feeling as it was difficult enough to get things in order and prepare myself physically and mentally for it all.
I wish you the best of luck with your op and your journey and feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything more specific.
Big hugs to all, Bev.

Hi j-lo, you are not alone, you will find lots of support here, keep in touch. I was diagnosed last Sept aged 45 and with a 3 year old daughter and living far from family being an Army wife, was very worried about how I would cope. There are lots of info leaflets you can order for free from this site, I would encourage you dosod so, and you can talk to one of their brilliant nurses about the treatment and how you are feeling, they are fantastic. The nodes removal will leave you with a small scar in your armpit, they will test the nodes to see if the cancer has spread to any of them. You don’t say whether you are having a lumpectomy, I assume you are?? I did and the incision was around the nipple, sounds awful butactually was ok and the scar is not even visible now. I recovered quickly but everyone is different, you may require Chemo, theywill probably confirm once the tumour has been removed and tested. Radiotherapy takes around 3 - 4weeks of daily doses, I was Ian dn out of the room in under 5 mins each time on agood day. You may then need hormone treatment depending on the type of cancer, probably for years. Regardless, you will need all the help you can get, I didn’t need Chemo but it was stil hard going and I hired a cleaning lady and gardener while I was having treatment but you could ask your family or friends to help too, take any help offered as you will be tired both physically and emotionally. Get as much info as you can but resist the urge to Google everything. I have afantastic team of doctors looking after me and that helps too. Good luck and take care of yourself, its been a terrible shock and you’ve already been through so much but BCC are a fantastic source of info and support when you need it.

Hi Jane
Like you I had to have a sentinel node biopsy and WLE on the same day as a daycase. Before surgery I was sent to nuclear medicine to have a radioactive dye injected into the breast around the area of the lump. Then I was asked to wait for around 30 minutes whilst the dye circulated. I then had to go under the gammacam to be scanned-I found this scan the worst of the lot as you have to lie very still for quite a while as the camera scans around your body at times coming very close to you…feels claustrophobic. All this was to locate the sentinel node for biopsy. After surgery I was quite sore especially under the arm and this made movement more difficult…loose clothes were best for a while especially for the first week or so. I think it would be a good idea for somebody else to walk your dog for a while until the wound has healed…I know I couldn’t tolerate anything and even found cutting up veg a bit sore as I’m right handed and the wound was under my right arm.
I found the most difficult part of all of this was that although you were given a proposed treatment plan it was always open to change depending on results. In my case they couldn’t get clear margins around the lump so I had to have a mastectomy. Even after mastectomy I didn’t know whether I’d need radiotherapy until my follow up appointment,luckily no abnormal cells were found near my chest wall and I didn’t need radio.
Its a matter of taking each step at a time…it was a very difficult time for me emotionally and I was very up and down. I still have my moments when I wobble but these are less often now, I still think about what I’ve been through every day but I guess this is normal and hopefully in the future there will be days when I don’t think about it at all.
I hope it all goes well for you
Jane xx

Hi Jane. So sorry you’ve had to join us, but now you’ve found us you can expect lots of support on your journey
I am 45 and was diagnosed on 3rd July. Like you, I was told that my lump was nothing to worry about… They thought it was fibrous tissue but they took a biopsy to be 100% sure. Lurking behind the fibrous tissue was anether lump - IDC
I too was told from my biopsy that I needed a WLE and Sentnal node biopsy. I was told I’d need radiotherapy and tamoxifen,but at tha stage there was nothing to suggest chemo.
I had surgery on 11th July and the actual operation was fine. Unfortunately I had a really bad reaction to the anaesethic so had to be kept in overnight. I wasn’t prepared for that so had no nightclothes, toothbrush etc. I don’t expect you to have a reaction like me… But if I were advising you I’d pop some essentials in my bag just in case!
I recovered from the op really quickly. I was tired, and a bit uncomfortable but not really painful. I did the exercises I was given and have been fortunate to have regained full movement in my arm quickly.
I had my full results following surgery and was told that I’m ‘borderline’ for chemo. My cancer was early stage and following the FISH test was HER2 -ve… So no need for chemo on that basis.
BUT I have been told that because of my age there is a benefit to having chemo. I have the choice. As you’re younger than me, you might be offered similar, even if nothing else points towards chemo.
It’s really difficult to decide what to do for the best. Based on my current health, family situation etc I’ve decided to have it. I do feel fortunate that I’ve been able to decide myself, but it wasn’t easy.
Ill be keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything goes well, just bear in mind that there are lots of variables that will determine your treatment plan, and my experience is that you might not have the full picture until after your surgery
let us know how you get on
S xx

I had my second yearly breast scan and was called for appt at hosp as they were not happy with results - no lump was visible or could be felt - I had radioactive dye and a wire put in and a biopsy - went for follow up to find results, surgeon assumed I already knew results, which I didn’t and said ‘well it’s cancer’ The lump was only a few mm but grade 2 and no lymph nodes were involved and it was a hormone cancer, not a genetic one. I went away to the coast for a week, came back had lump removed, did the exercises, used the E45 cream! Was told I need to take Tamoxifen and have 3 weeks of rads, went on holiday to Lanzarote, came home last Friday, started Tam and my rads start on Thursday 9th August at St Thomas’ hospital, they will finish the Friday before I am due to go back to work! It wasn’t until later on that I contacted my bcn that I found out about the receptors and what the cancer was called ‘IDC’ she said I should have been told by one of the team and received a letter - what information/letter? I have it now!

First one I have found with IDC! I didn’t know it existed until I asked what type I had…