Newly diagnosed and scared for future

Hi, am 35 with a 6mth old baby. I found a lump just over a month ago and gp referred me to breast clinic just in case but put it down to a blocked milk duct. Blocked alright, by a grade 2, 21mm IDC. had lumpectomy and sentinal node done 10 days ago and today got confirmation that it was triple neg. clean margins and no node involvement but looking at 6mths chemo followed by 6 weeks rads. Officially stage one so I should be happy today but I’m just so bloody scared about it coming back, losing my hair, not having another child…

Hi Jemimajean and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sure your fellow users will be along soon and in addition please feel free to call our helpliners for further support and information on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Younger women’ information pages where you will find lots of information about diagnosis and treatments along with further support ideas:

Take care

Lucy

Hi jemimajean,

i am 37 and was diagnosed in Dec last year, had 5 months of chemo to reduce lump , then lumpectomy and auxillary node clearance in May, awaiting three weeks of radiotherapy. All I can say with the chemo is to take every day as it comes, the first three week cycles were ok for me, gradually I got more tired. Constipation and oral thrush were the main side effects, but make use of the lovely staff on the chemo ward, my oncologist was fab and prescribed medication for me which eased symptoms, similarly we had a number we could call anytime night and day so you are never alone.
I ate fresh pineapple and melon, to help my mouth if it got sore . As for losing your hair, I am surprised how fast mine is returning, I have eyelashes and eyebrows already and a very short hair style, only two months after chemo. I get really excited about it every time I look in the mirror. I even had to shave my legs last week which I hadn’t missed.
you wil get through this, just look after yourself and take each day as it comes.

x x

Hi. I’m sorry for your worries but maybe try and enjoy the positive news although I don’t know how you’re meant to do that. I’m new to this…31 years old with an 11 week year old baby who I’m still breastfeeding. I was diagnosed with a grade 3 IDC 3 days ago. Ultrasound showed an abnormal lymph node but I’m awaiting the results. I’m actually terrified that I’ve found it too late and it’s spread but I think it’s the waiting that’s scary. Once I know what I have to fight I’ll do it. I have no idea about anything re my cancer but I’ll find out next week.
I thought I had nipple thrush due to the pain and also a blocked duct until I was referred. I’m hoping that it hasn’t spread and that my treatment plan will be positive. Petrified that doctors will say there’s nothing they can do but I’m just anxious as the wait is so hard. I have a little girl who needs me…
xx

i was dx while breastfeeding my 9 month old, so understand how you feel. it sounds like they have a good treatment plan mapped out for you and i hope you’re recovering well from your surgery. i actually started with chemo and then had surgery and while chemo is difficult, it is definitely do-able. i know quite a few other ladies who have been dx either while pregnant, or before their child was 1. i have to remind myself that i am lucky to have a child as some ladies are not so lucky and have been dx while trying for children, but this is definitely not how i saw my life going.

are you aware of the facebook group for young women dx wth bc? i am a member of itand this sort of thing is discussed - as well as lots of other relevant things for younger ladies. it’s a fab group and a great alternate source of info and experience - if you’re interested the link is facebook.com/ManchesterYoungerWomensBreastCancerNetwork?book

good luck with the rest of your treatment, and may be see you on facebook?