Newly diagnosed and waiting for Mastectomy date

Hi All, so far i know that Im her2 positive with 2 lumps and specs in left breast grade2. I am 40yrs old and have 3boys,my youngest being 2yrs :-(. Dr said i will be having a mastectomy,chemo,radio and med’s etc. My first concern is will i be able to take care of my 2yr old with Hubby or should i get family in to help? They all don’t live local so i have lots of planning to do. I will be having my lymph nodes removed  also but just the standard unless they find cancer in them. Could any Mums out there with young children help? Nurse said my 2yr old wont be a problem but my books make recovery look a lot harder than that! I will start chemo few weeks after op but at the moment my planning is concerning the mastectomy…Thankyou.

Hi Debs
I have 4 children 2 years, 5 years, 9 years and 12 years. I had my mastectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed in october and its honestly not as bad as you think it will be. I was in first thing in the morning and came out the same day, I had a drain in but it came out the next day and I was given pain killers but I didnt need them :slight_smile: I was really worried beforehand how we would manage but we were fine and although we had help on standby we didnt need it…the thing I found worse was the grogginess from the anesthetic.
Hope you get your date soon and all goes well ((((hugs))))

Hi Debs and welcome to the BCC forums

You may find the link to our ‘Just diagnosed’ section of the site helpful for lots of information and further support ideas:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=diagnosis

Our helpliners are also on hand with practical and emotional support weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 so please free to call to talk any concerns over

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Debs, I’m not herceptin positive but I’m sure you have to go down the chemo route to be given the herceptin drug which if I understand correctly is gold standard if you’re her2+.

I’m sure there will be some other lovely ladies along shortly to support you.

Tracy
XXX

Hi debs
Sorry you are going through this too. I am 42 and have 3 children- 16, 7 and 2 years. I had my mastectomy on 16th jan and was worried sick as I am a completely useless when it comes to pain! I managed fine, was sore when I woke in recovery but that passed within a couple of hours and I managed on paracetamol after that. I couldn’t lift my 2 yr old for about a week but am fine now and have managed everything normally over past 10 days. I agree the grogginess from the anaesthetic was the worst. I am waiting for my oncology appointment and have been told I need chemotherapy, rads and hormones drugs. I am her 2 neg, oestrogen positive but grade 3. Am pretty scared about chemo but just want it started. This is all so scary isn’t it, especially with little ones as you know how much they need you. Big hugs and I will be following your progress
Caroline xxx