Newly diagnosed and waiting for surgery

Hi
My husband first noticed a dimple on my left breast 3 weeks ago when I stretched up. I made an appointment for the GP on the same day and despite him not being too concerned I told hiim I wanted a referral to the breast clinic as I could feel a small lump. I had to wait ten days for the appointment but on the day had a mammogram, ultrasound and biospy of the left breast. They also found calcification in the right and I had to have a further mammogram and a sterotatic biopsy of that the following week.
I got to see a senior registrar the same day who told me they thought it was highly suspicious but I got the results of the biospy last week. It is invasive ductal Ca provisionally graded as grade 2. Size on mammogram was 1.8cm but on ultrasound was 9mm. I am a bit confused as to which test is the most accurate for sizing.
I am going back to the hospital in two days for the second lot of biopsy results and to book a date for surgery.
Think it is finally starting to hit me I haven’t been sleeping well and just want the surgery to be over with but have been told it will be at least another two weeks and then a further two weeks till the results are in and I find out if I need chemo and radiotherapy or just radiotherapy.
Have told family and kids (I have four) and played it down a bit as one of the kids is taking GCSE’s in a few weeks time.

Hi Roxygirl

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need a good listening ear. Lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2, 0808 800 6000

BC and you: www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Resource pack: www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Hope this helps. Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

hi roxygirl,
once you get dates and things are arranged you will start to feel better and put your life back into some sort of order again.
the waiting and wondering is the worst part, it plays havoc with your imagination and sends you potty.
hope you get sorted soon,
in the meantime, we’re ready to listen and answer any questions.
try not to google, its outdated and not good for you at the moment. macmillan and this site has lots of info.
kind regards,
angie xx

In my case ultrsound turned out to be more accurate