cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly diagnosed - can't have mastectomy

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Newly diagnosed - can't have mastectomy

Hi Sunbeam,

Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. I had entirely different circumstances and went straight to surgery.  However, I have read on here that it is not unusual to have chemo first. Once you see the oncologist and they can give you a plan for your care you will have some dates to focus on.

My lump was 3.6cm and it will be 1 year since surgery on Thursday. It did seem to get bigger after they did the biopsy.  I don't know if it really got bigger or if I was just more conscious of it.

If you have a look on the 'going through treatment' section on the chemo threads you will probably find people with similar circumstances as well as lots of tips for coping with chemo.  Good luck.

Highlighted

Re: Newly diagnosed - can't have mastectomy

Hi sunbeam51

I'm sorry to read of your recent diagnosis, it sounds like you're having a pretty difficult time.  Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their support you might find it helpful to ring the BCC helpline on 0808 800 6000.

Here you can share your worries and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Highlighted

Newly diagnosed - can't have mastectomy

I am stunned at the moment, and very scared. I have been diagnosed with an agressive, grade 3 breast cancer. Came from nowhere and is huge! Size of a golfball!

Have been told that they cannot do a mastectomy as I am on oxygen with low sats. So I have to keep this 'thing'. Am now being moved from a surgeon to an oncologist and chemo has been mentioned. I had only just come round to the idea of a mastectomy as the best way forward and now they say its not an option.

I am really scared. The growth seems to be getting bigger daily and I am scared to think it will just keep on getting bigger and bigger. I'm hoping there is someone else out there who has been through similar and can give me hope.