Newly diagnosed - feeling anxious and scared

Posted on behalf of new user Jan
Kind regards
Lucy

Hi Everyone, Diagnosed yesterday with bc - lump 4.5 cms - cannot believe I didn’t feel this earlier !
I cannot sleep and my mind is spinning - it a real bolt out of the blue - I am 52 and feel fine and healthy.
Will be going for my pre-op assessment next week and then lumpectomy later in March, to be followed by radiotherapy. I am terrified of having a general anaethestic.
I don’t know anyone who has or had bc so just don’t know what to expect.
Off for a cup of tea and then back to bed, its 2.30 a.m. Goodnight and thank you for listening, Jan.

Hello Jan,

I was diagnosed on Monday this week. I am 41. I have a further appointment on Monday, to decide on the best course of action, but a lumpectomy has been recommended.

What you are feeling s totally to be expected. This site is realy good, there are lot of people who have been through BC and have come out the other side and others who are in the same boat as us.

It is day four for me after being diagnosed, and one day you are o.k, one day you are not. Try and take each hour at a time, don’t think too much ahead.

On the General A, they can give you something to calm you down, don’t worry. The fact you feel fine and healthy is a bonus, you will find the strength from somewhere.

Take care of you and if you ever want to email me, anytime, night or day, do it.

XX

Hi Jan

I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis. You may find the BCC resources pack helpful, it has been designed specifically for those newly diagnosed and contains a lot of useful information.
The following link will take you to the order page of the website:

breastcancercare.org.uk/serv … ationId/82

Our helpline is open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2 on 0808 800 6000 and the staff are here to support you and offer a ‘listening ear’ as well as providing you with information and other ideas of support to help you through this difficult time.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi. I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 17th. December, then secondaries were found in my lungs and liver within 6 days. Still trying really hard to get my head round it all and generally feeling really scared but I feel so well.

Hi Jan and Terrier

Just to say sorry you’ve had to join us here, but I can assure you I’ve had fantastic support, hints and tips and large doses of humour here so far (I was diagnosed end of Jan, had mastectomy and 6 lymph nodes removed 12 Feb).

I was pleasantly surprised by the general anaesthetic experience I had, as I’m a total wimp when it comes to any kind of pain, especially needles, but the staff were lovely and it was fine. No nausea afterwards either, I was merrily drinking tea and eating a sandwich by teatime, having had op at 11am and sleeping most of the afternoon.

If there’s anything you’d like to pick my brain about feel free!
regards
Rosie the Womble

Hi Celia and welcome to the forums,

You may find it helpful to post in the secondary forum where other users can share their experiences of a secondary diagnosis with you and can offer you support and information.

Best wishes
Lucy

I too was worried about the general anaesthetic but was fine. I remember feeling a bit lightheaded as it went in and a nurse reaching over my shoulder with an oxygen mask … and the next moment someone was calling my name and offering me sips of water. I was then wheeled to the ward and transferred my self into bed. I had no nausea either, the only effect was feeling very cold but they wrapped me up in an extra blanket and I soon warmed up. Less than 2 hours later I was eagerly consuming tea and toast, talking to the woman in the next bed and sending my family a text message. I was pretty tired but I was out less than 24 hours after getting back from theatre.

Hopefully your experience will be as good.

Eliza xx

Hi there
I was diagnosed on 12 Jan and had lumpectomy on 5/3/09. I have to say the anaesthetic was absolutley fine. I remember talking the staff in the anaesthetic room then nothing til I woke up. Had a little nausea which they treated very quickly and effectively. Next day I was a little sore but eating normally.
I would say that if you are very anxious pre-op just ask for a pre-med. It may just help you feel less anxious and churned up. I did this as I didn’t see any point in suffering unnecessarily.
Just take your time afterwards as you will feel washed out. Let everybody look after you!
I am now nearly a month on and can do most things - went for long walk today and feel fine.
Good luck and will be thinking of you.
JuliaB
x

Hi there again
Meant to say I had real trouble sleeping and spoke to my GP about it and she gave me some sleeping pills. I know lots of people don’t like them but they really helped me. I felt stronger and better able to think and cope after a good nights sleep. GP said there is only a small risk of getting addicted so I have just been really careful with them.

JuliaB

hi jan - my mind didn’t stop for days, I lost weight too which in itself was good as I need to lose lots more but there you go, I couldn’t eat or sleep and like julia got some sleeping tabs and took half as I’d never had them before - having a sleep made all the difference. You’ll find your mind goes over alsorts, you’re fine one minute, have 4 good days then maybe a crap one…and waiting in between for the next instalment…keep posting…have you never had a general before - lots of people haven’t but really its so straight forward but I know what you mean - I was terrified of it the first time I had one - wisdom teeth out yrs ago - they look after you well in hosp…mary x

Hi Jan and Terrier
Sorry you have had to go through this, but this is a very supportive site, mainly because everyone is going or has gone through the same thing. Don’t despair, you will have bad and good days, right through the journey…From diagnosis to op I had 5wks to wait so I was so ready for it. I went in at 4pm came out at 5pm and was home by 6.45 pm, feeling tired but really quite ok!! It was my third week after the op that I started to feel like things were improving, mentally and physically. So although your worry will come and go, think positive and here are some good vibes to help you along the way>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Helen x

Hi Ladies

Firstly, I am so sorry that you have had to join us on this site, secondly, I am two and a half years down the line from diagnosis, one day you will be too. This site is fantastic for advice, letting off steam, guidance etc. I was 32 when diagnosed in June 2006 with a 3 year old boy, my whole world collapsed. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads and am currently on Tamoxifen (3 years left). the journey ahead will be hard, dark in places but your breast care team have been through this with so many others just like us. I found my family and friends very supportive, as were my work colleagues. You will get through this and your will have up and downs. I still have good and bad days but now there are more good then bad. I used to set myself little treats to get me through the treatment. Everyone on here has their own story to tell, I found this site and the people on it extremely supportive and there for me when I needed someone, whatever time or day.

You take care all of you and let us know how things go.

Love to you all

Claire xx

Hi All,
Thank you for all the lovely comments - I am feeling much more positive - slurping Bach Rescue Remedy to help me relax - and it works - truly !
I am going into Raigmore Hospital in Inverness on Wednesday 11th March with surgery the next day - a lumpectomy and full node clearance. I will be glad to get started on my treatment now.
I live 75 miles away from the hospital and my family are 450 miles away, so visiting will be down to my hubby who will be staying locally in our campervan.
Good luck to everyone on here and thank you for your support and listening to my ramblings.
Love and Best Wishes - Jan xx

hi jan - will be thinking of you next wed then and wishing you well - there are a few of us who have mentioned camping etc - just thinking of your campervan…heck of a trek for you the all the travelling isn’t it?! Mary x

Jan, check out rescue nights too. It’s really helped me sleep properly since my secondary diagnosis and so far I’ve stayed away from the anti depressants etc (you have to give yourself time to deal with things don’t you.)