cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly diagnosed going into surgery tomorrow

18 REPLIES 18
CaroleD

Re: Newly diagnosed going into surgery tomorrow

Malt. Can't fault your taste! Islay malts are my fav. Have you been to Islay? The whisky tastes like the island, truly. Salty, peaty, you can hear the sea against the shore, feel the brine in the wind on your face. I adore it!

No district nurse for me. I have to go up to the hospital each time. And yes, still micro tape and a plastic dressing to go. I think they come off next Tuesday.

I'm with you all the way on the boxing gloves front. No settling on the ropes, no fighting out of corners, centre ring, Bam, Bam, Pow!!

Settle in with the malt. A new year is most definitely coming.

Carole

jjane123

p.s Just incase I dont post tomorrow all the very best for new year. Lets come outwith our boxing gloves on 1st Jan fighting all the way to victory

jane xxhugsxx

jjane123

Hi carole.

Bet your much more comfortuble with all that padding off. Have you got to go back again to have the micro tape removed? Or do you have a district nurse visiting you?

I have a date to return for op results 19th Jan. Feels like it will never arrive. For the first time since op I want a ciggie, purly out of frustration but am not going to let them or this buggar beat. AM NOT HAVING ONE !! NO NO NO!!!!! So I have decided to open a bottle of malt instead (crimbo prezzi) to pass the time away. So I will apologise now, just incase drunken mess types incoherant messages later. lol

Take care x

CaroleD

Hi Jane & Gennie

All the paddings off, but I've still got that micro tape over the stitches and the waterproof plastic stuff that has to stay on. I can't really see the scar yet, but I had a bit of a squish around and I think it's a bit like what you describe. Skin under the fingers but not the other way around. How weird is that? Although the plastic is pinching it together in a not natural way, I definitely think I've got a contour change. The things we women have to do to lose a pound or so! Ah me.

On the up side, I was reading a US site (Breast Cancer Stories), and a lot of the women who had mastectomies also got reconstruction, and the surgeon used some of the fat from their bellies for the shaping! Gross, I admit, but flat stomach. Yeah!!!!!

Gennie

Jane - that's exactly how mine feels. Well, actually I am getting a bit more sensation back each day (and hence it's hurting more) but yes, the weird numb feeling is how mine feels too.

jjane123

Hi carole.

How are you feeling? Are the bandages off and did you take a peek? You seem to have a good sence of humour, Carole and thats got to be a great plus at a time like this. I did chuckle at your weight loss theory.

I must have drawn some strength from your bravery because I had a little peek myself last night and it wasn't too bad. The scar is a lot bigger than I expected but from a quick glance looked very neat and clean. I didn't investigate too far as there was a lot of bruising and i didn't like that. I also touched the area for the first time and O.M.G how wiered is that. I could feel the skin beneath my finger tips but could not feel my fingertips against my skin. Is that normal? Does everyone experiance this?

Take care

jane x

CaroleD

Lucky you, extra pressies at Christmas!

I think I must be a bit ghoulish, perhaps related to the Addams Family. I need to see everything. The bruising is a bit of a shocker though, I have to agree, but I was really bruised for the core biopsy and that was only last week, so it can't be worse than that. I'm interested to see if I've changed shape at all. Although I got on the scales and they hadn't shifted downwards at all, so I guess she didn't take that much. lol 🙂

Carole

jjane123

Hi carole

Good luck with your dressings tomorrow, I had mine removed Tue but still not looked yet. Eveyone says surgeon has done a good job and I'm sure she has because she just seems like a guardian angel to me. Its just, well I dont wont to see all that bruising. Am not bothered about scars and the like. I've never been vain. And if it means this thing is out of me, then who cares what I look like.

Had a visit from one of my pals at work today. (Apparantly they have had a collection) She came gifts in hand. A beautiful ornimental bird bath and feeder with lots of goodies to hang from it. Only moved in this house July, my first garden and I have been feeding birds ever since. So it was a lovely surprize. Really cheered me up, as I will be able to sit in the patio and watch the birds through my recovery. Altough, am not sure if they're not taking the p@@@ with the binoculars and bird book. lol.

As you say, there are genuine good days and today has been one. Once we have are treatment plans, I'm sure they will become more frequent as we fight this bu@@@er together

Take care

jjane xx

CaroleD

Hi Kay

Thanks for the encouragement. Glad you got a drug that works better for you. You're right about the care, it's been amazing so far. I've never had to be involved with hospitals till now, apart from splitting my head open and needing stitches age 4! The nurses are angels, and the doc/surgeon I've got is exactly the woman I need, straight talking, to the point, sense of humour. I seriously can't fault the care I've had to date.

Long road ahead as you say, but what the heck, I'll walk round Scotland and back just to squash this thing underfoot!

Speak soon.

Carole

CaroleD

Hi Jane

Poor you! What a wait. But the process has started, focus on that. You know you've had the catalyst cut out, and you know you're going to start treatment whatever happens, so you're on your way. Chin up, we'll do it together.

I find out what I'm up against on 6 Jan. I'm going in to see the doc tomorrow to check the dressing and wound, but I already asked last week and she said there's no way she'll have any results by then.

I suppose all you hope for at this stage is that it hasn't spread, so you can go straight to chemo and rads or whatever combination they suggest. Whatever I get it'll be late January when they start (unless I need more surgery of course), so we'll be starting about the same time. I feel an awful lot better now I've had the first surgery. I was wondering if I was in denial again but I think you genuinely do start to get good days. It's a nail biting time though and no mistake.

As you say, this site is fantastic! So much courage and hope and support from everybody. I am truly in awe of the women here, all of them.

Carole

jjane123

Hi carole

I had WLE and SNB last Fri and like you I'm also worried I may need futher surgery. However, reading your blog, has given me hope that I may not. Thats the miricle of this web site, getting the oppertunity to read other womens experiances.

Do you know when you are getting your results?

I seem to have to wait for ever. The bc team at my hospital meet on a Thurs and since Thurs after my op was Christmas day and Thurs after that is New Year, they wont be meeting untill 7th Jan and then I will have to wait for an appointment. Seems so unfair to me. I need to know now. Peace of mind and all that, just need to know what I am up against.

Carole, i wish you all the luck in the world with your results. I too have been told poss chemo and rads, starting end of January. Will know more when i return for my results.

Maybe we can walk this road together. I'm mostly having good days now, just moments of madness. Having said that, I do think I'll be in hiding new years eve.

Take Care & Good Luck

x

CaroleD

Thanks Eliza

Can't wait to get the results and get on with the next bit!

Carole

kayty

Hi Carole

I had WLE and SNB in feb this year. My margins were close but I only have little boobs!!. I had no node involvement and didn't have any further surgery.

Everyone is different so try not to think about what route too soon!!!

I had 25 RAD's and tamoxifen but didn't get on with the tam. Now I am on Zoladex monthly injections and think I feel better on these!

It is a long road we travel on this blooming disease but we seem to be well looked after.

Just keep talking and a few tears help when you need.

This site has been wonderful for me this year always a listening ear

Love and best wishes
Kay xx

Eliza

Hi Carole,

I had WLE and SNB a month ago. I too had clear margins and no node involvement so don't have to have more surgery. I now have an appointment with the oncologist to arrange radiotherapy and hormone therapy.

Hope your results will be good and you can then move onto the next stage.

Eliza xx

CaroleD

Hi Crispy

Thanks! Hopefully I'll go the same route as you. Did the 0800 in, and was home and eating Ferrero Rocher by 5! Even slept well despite the humungous boob padding job on one side.

Merry Christmas!

Carole

karen

CaroleD,
Hope all goes well with surgery.
I was dx in jan 04, 12mm tumour grade3, had WLE, no nodes involved and clear margins...followed by chemo', radio' and now tamoxifen.....my surgeon was quite confident in telling me that I would not wake up to find I'd had a mastectomy....I didn't even have any drainage tubs in...which he said I probably would. Went in at 11.30 on the Friday and came out 24hrs later.

Take care
Karen x

CaroleD

Thanks Bright

I'm about to head to bed for the 5.30am start I need to get sorted then over to the hospital. I think I'm going to keep mastectomy as an option in my head for later, then it won't be as big a deal if the surgeon says that's the way it has to go.

I should be out tomorrow night. I'm really glad to hear you were up and about quickly, for your sake and mine!

brightlight28

Hello Carole,

I came out of hospital two days ago after having mastectomy (as have multiple lumps). Just to write that more radical surgery was okay. General Anaesthetic was fine - and that I woke up in little pain. I was up and walking about the next day and five days later was released and was able to go shopping the day after.

Good luck with your surgery.

Bright xx

CaroleD

Newly diagnosed going into surgery tomorrow

Hi everyone
I went to the Breast Clinic last Tuesday after finding a lump. Mammograms, ultrasounds, and a core biopsy later, all in the same morning, I was told it was almost certainly a tumour, about 2cm, confirmed on Friday. I go into surgery tomorrow to get the lump taken out, margins, and the selection of lymph nodes. I've been told I'll probably need chemo and then I'll get radio. It all seemed simple, till I started reading other people's stories!

I'm still in a bit of a dazed state about it all, but my biggest concern is that I can't seem to find anybody who hasn't had some kind of extra surgery needed, usually ending with a mastectomy. Can anybody help? Should I be getting ready to be brought back in for the mastectomy after all. I talked to the surgeon before we even got the biopsy results back (she'd put me on tomorrow's operating list before she even took the sample!), and she was pretty confident about just doing it the way we're doing it tomorrow. I guess I'm just getting confused with it all. It seems to be happening so fast - 8 days from first examination to surgery.

Meanwhile I'm trying not to stress too much about the surgery tomorrow. I've never had a general before, never mind the thoughts that are running through my head about having cancer, which I'm sure you all know about. Trying to stay positive, and I'm hoping that once tomorrow is over I'll feel clearer now that the first step is taken.

Appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks for listening.