Newly diagnosed - had surgery and awaiting chemo and radiation therapy. Any advice before I start?

I was diagnosed in early July and have now had the surgery to remove the lump. I am due to recieve a programme of chemo and radiation therapy in the next few days and wounered if there was any advice of things to do before this starts that could make things easier for myself. I live in Saudi but am from UK. One of the benefits I do have here are staff to do all housework chores and also a chef - this will make things easier than for most when the fatigue kicks in.

Hi Clare and welcome to the BCC forums

Whilst you await replies from your fellow users you may find the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’ and ‘Treatments’ information pages helpful, you will find further support ideas and publications which you can download:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

We have an overseas helpline number and you are welcome to call for further support and information if you need it, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Sat on (+44)2076200077

Best wishes

Lucy

I imagine that you are well into your chemotherapy treatment by now and I hope it isn’t too difficult for you. I have just finished 6 rounds of chemotherapy (3 x fec and 3 x taxotere) and have had 3 radiotherapy sessions out of 20. I found that rounds 4 and 6 of chemotherapy were the worst. They changed the drug then and I don’t think I was prepared for the side effects that taxotere gives. The worst were oral thrush and mouth ulcers all over my tongue (yeuk!) The tip would be to ensure that you don’t hold back when telling your oncologist of the problems you are having. There are drugs that can help eg Emend really helped with the nausea after all else had failed and the mouth washes helped the mouth to some extent. There’s also a product called gelclair which coats the ulcers and makes them less painful. It may well be that you don’t get any of these side effects, as everyones experience is different. Good luck and let us know how you get on. It can be a bit isolating being in a different country. Try to get your chef to cook you lots of wholesome soups full of rainbow coloured foods.
Katie x

I imagine that you are well into your chemotherapy treatment by now and I hope it isn’t too difficult for you. I have just finished 6 rounds of chemotherapy (3 x fec and 3 x taxotere) and have had 3 radiotherapy sessions out of 20. I found that rounds 4 and 6 of chemotherapy were the worst. They changed the drug then and I don’t think I was prepared for the side effects that taxotere gives. The worst were oral thrush and mouth ulcers all over my tongue (yeuk!) The tip would be to ensure that you don’t hold back when telling your oncologist of the problems you are having. There are drugs that can help eg Emend really helped with the nausea after all else had failed and the mouth washes helped the mouth to some extent. There’s also a product called gelclair which coats the ulcers and makes them less painful. It may well be that you don’t get any of these side effects, as everyones experience is different. Good luck and let us know how you get on. It can be a bit isolating being in a different country. Try to get your chef to cook you lots of wholesome soups full of rainbow coloured foods.
Katie x

I had a mastectomy recently (19th November) and am having trouble sleeping and getting comfortable in bed. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Hi Janet,
Getting comfortable is quite difficult straight after mx. I so wanted to turn on to the effected side ! think it was because I couldn’t lol. What I did find really beneficial was a V pillow. I got mine from Dunhelm but I think you can get them anywhere. It had great support and I still use mine 7 weeks post surgery.
Best wishes xxx

Hi Janet S, I had my mastectomy 8th November and also found it difficult sleeping and getting comfortable. The V pillow Sassy1 suggests sounds like a great idea. I personally found that if I popped a spare pillow under my arm and hugged it to my chest just to give a little support for getting in and out of bed and also moving from my back onto my side I felt more confident and less discomfort.

Hi
I had my mx at the end of october and a second op to replace the expander bag on the 14th nov due to complications.
Getting comfortable in bed has been horrendous quite frankly…i could only lie on my back for the first 3 weeks and now can only lie on opposite side. the worst thing is the expansion bag hurts the most…
So…it’s not great but does get a bit better…
xxx

Hi Janet. I know it might sound daft but I got a little breast cancer pillow that hooked over my shoulder and thacushioned my poorly breast. I even took it on the airplane with me. definitelydifferent.co.uk/shop/image/data/breast%20cancer%20pillow%20rose.jpg
was a real comfort in bed and because it went over my shoulder I didn’t lose it during the night
Kay x

Hi there
Some advice for chemo - if you are having docetaxel - the T in FEC-T use nail strenghner or nail varnish on both your finger and toenails during and after chemo and drink plenty of fluids to help flush the nasties out of your system.
Use corsodyl mouthwash if your mouth is getting inflamed with mouth ulcers.
If your veins are beginning to give up then have a port fitted, especially if you are on herceptin as life is soooo much easier than playing ‘hunt the vein’.
Most importantly with chemo - if you really do find that you are suffering badly then tell your chemo unit and they will do all they can to try and make life easier for you - do NOT suffer in silence!
I had to have 6 chemo sessions and my way of coping with them was as follows:-
Number 1 - I’ve started
Number 2 - a third of the way through
Number 3 - halfway house
Number 4 - 2/3 of the way through
Number 5 - the penultimate one - just one more to go
Number 6 - Last one
Remember though, that the effects of chemo are cumulative and even though you have had your last one it can take a while before your body is clear. That 1st leg-hair that appears is a sign that your body is returning to normal - cherish the moment as it won’t be long before you start cursing the fact that you have to start shaving your legs again!!! Trust me - you will!!!
With your rads slap on the aqueous cream very liberally remembering to apply it not just on your boob, but extend it up to your neck and shoulder, to your under arms and down towards your stomach area too. Don’t use anything in the bath other than unscented stuff and soap and NO deodorant. Keep up your post-surgery exercies whilst having rads and for a while after as rads can cause your muscles to tighten.
Compared to chemo, rads is a doddle but chemo is doable and you WILL come out the other side just like me and many others on this website have - just hang on in there and you’ll be finished before you know it.
Take care
Mazzalou x

Fantastic advise. Think I will start mine mid January. Thank you x Good luck to all.