Newly diagnosed, query regarding mri scan

Hi, I’m 34 and I was diagnosed with lobular bc last week and have felt like I’ve been living in another world since. 

My MRI (with gadolinium (?)) is scheduled for next Thursday.  Prior to the diagnosis I’d booked in for a spa day including massage and facial on the day after, next Friday.  I’m now concerned that I might need to cancel the spa day, has anyone any thoughts on this?  I’ve been trying to get in touch with my BCN but we’ve been playing voicemail tennis and I’ve also tried the MRI department but with no success so in the meantime I thought I’d post on here. 

I’ve been lurking for the past few days and I’ve taken great comfort from the posts I’ve read, thank you!

Hi starryjen, a very warm welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the valauable support you will soon have here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns or queries on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

The following links will take you to further information and support ideas from BCC which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=diagnosis

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=younger_women

Take care

Lucy BCC

Hi Starryjen,
I’m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I think everyone here can relate to your feeling of being in another world. 4 months after my diagnosis I still feel very unreal about it all.

I’ve now had 3 MRI scans, one just after diagnosis and 2 during chemo to check if the chemo is shrinking my lump (I’m having chemo before surgery). The gaudolinium is injected into you via a cannula (into my arm in my case) and the cannula is removed after the scan is complete, just leaving you with a small puncture mark as you would have after any needle procedure. There is nothing else I can think of that is ‘different’ about you after an MRI which would prevent you enjoying your spa day and I wasn’t advised to avoid anything afterwards. A spa day sounds like just the thing fir you at the moment - I hope you enjoy it if you decide to go ahead with it.