Newly diagnosed with ILC - worried and having panic attacks

Hi, I’m 46 and on Wednesday last week I was diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer and are finding the diagnosis very hard to take. I thought I could handle stress quite well but this has knocked me for 6, causing me to have panic attacks. The cancer is currently 14mm and ER+ and on the ultrasound my nodes look ok. I can’t stand the waiting and worry about this spreading. I only have small breasts and are opting for a double mx with reconstruction . I know this may seem extreme to some but I 'd always be wondering and checking my other breast. I’ve also began losing weight even though I’m eating ok, have others noticed this?

Hi Tracy, I am 35 and I was diagnosed on the 19th of Sept. Before the appt I thought I was prepared for any bad news but I was totally shocked I kept thinking the hospital would call to tell me there was a mix up but this never happened. I was diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer in my left breast & it is ER+. I don’t remember all the other details as my ears were just ringing after the initial news. I had the surgery to remove the tumor & the sentinel lobe biopsy on the 23rd so I am waiting for the results so I know the stage & the grade. The doc said the tumor was about 9mm but they will only know the exact size after the operation. Hopefully I will not need any other surgery. I have also lost some weight even though I gave been eating fine & I think its due to stress. One minute I think it will be okay & the next I’m in an absolute panic. I’ve also been very anxious about my other breast & I keep checking it to see if it does not have a lump. So I am trying to take it one day at a time but the waiting is driving me insane. It was my first day on the forum and I found it very reassuring to hear from others who are going through the same thing.

Hi Tracey

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

i too had ILC and my nodes were clear, and i am due to start chemo later this month to mop up any rogue cells my squatter left behind. The waiting is the worst of all this but once you get on the road to kicking this squatter into touch you will fell in control again. i haven’t had any recon yet and possibly will not bother once all my treatment has finished. Let us know how things go

Take care 

Sally xx

Hi Tracy
Welcome to the BCC forums, I am sure the support you have here already will continue and in addition our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000. Lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so please feel free to call to talk through your queries and concerns.

The following link will take you to the BCC ‘Treatments’ information pages where you will find more information about surgery and reconstruction along with further support ideas:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thank you for your kind replies, this is a very difficult time for everyone but we’ll all get through this! When the horrible negative thoughts creep in  I’m trying my best to kick them into touch. Like today I’ve started feeling a ache under my arm, I can’t feel or see any swollen nodes but the mind wonders. The ache has only come on in the last week roughly about the same time that the panic attacks started. 3 weeks ago I had my core needle biopsy and the area is still bruised and  feels quite hard where the lump is. I also have a strange “pulling” feeling by my ribs. It seems like I’m now noticing  every little twinge that I’d usually ignore. I hate this waiting game, it drives you insaine. I’m currently waiting on an Oncoplastic appointment but all I can think is while I’m waiting this could be spreading. I so wish I could get these negative thoughts out of my head. My thoughts are with every women who’s going through this horrible process and in ore of those who have come out the other side a stronger person . Thank you for your suport. Love to you all XXXX