Newly diagnosed with SBC

14 years after my mastectomy I have been diagnosed with SBC and have met with the oncologist today.

I am to commence treatment next month following a special family holiday which means too much to me to cancel. I am a very positive person and will deal with what is thrown at me but must admit it is a bit scary when told there is “significant spread”  I feel really well in myself and I am quite active and feel lucky that my GP sent me for a chest xray when I saw him about changes to my breathing (I do have COPD so just expected a change of my medication) Unfortunately the xray showed a tumour in my lung and further tests and biopsies have brought me to the point I am at now.

My treatment is to be Herceptin and Chemo (Docetaxol) and I would welcome any advise on dealing with the treatment and side effects. The Onc (see I’m using the lingo already) did say I would lose my hair but as I said to him as long as it includes that on my chin i will deal with it. But seriously ladies any help and advise will be very much appreciated

Welcome Miller08 to the forum so sorry you had to join us. There are a lot of very wise ladies on here who will be able to give you lots of practical advice. Sorry I have no experience of your meds. Please join us in our café where we have lots of silly fun. Please take care we all support each other and understand what you are going through. Hugs Marie xxx

Hi
Sorry you have to join us but we are a friendly bunch who have a lot of experience and advice - and support - to share. Although you have posted in the Treatments section there is often more activity ie viewing and posting, in the Living with SBC section. Don’t worry this is just one of the annoying ways this forum is at present so you have not come to the wrong place, just you may not get so many replies!
I think you are right to go on that important holiday, you won’t feel like doing the same once you are on chemo and it will give you a chance to charge up your batteries. Just a nite about the treatment you have mentioned. Has your onc (yes, you are already up with the lingo!) mentioned Pertuzamab being added into the mixture as well? It is a new drug that works on HER2+ BC and has more impressive results than just. Herceptin and docetaxel together. It has to be given with both those other drugs and needs your onc to apply to the Cancer Drugs Fund BEFORE you start any treatment for SBC. There is a thread in the Living with… Section called Pertuzamb and there are a few of us on it, me included. Please feel free to ask any questions about this or any aspect of what to expect. Btw I have had bone mets for 7 years and also liver mets for the past 2 years but don’t have any experience of lung mets however all the treatments tend to be similar, it just depends on our pathology.
Nicky x

Thank you ladies I will have a look in the other sections.

Hi miller08 and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sure the support here will be a great help as you are able to speak to others who understand just how you are feeling. Our helpliners are on hand with further support for you so do feel free to call to talk any queries or concerns over on 0808 800 6000 and lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

I am posting a link to the secondary information and support here on on the BCC site which you are also welcome to access:

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/secondary-metastatic-breast-cancer

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Mller 08. Sorry you have had to join us but as the others have said you will get lots of support. I have skin mets, first noticed Jan 14 but not diagnosed tl July. Had docetaxol and capecitabine which unfortunately dd not work as 6 weeks after fnishng the mets had spread. I have to be truthful, the chemo was a toughie, but not as bad as fec. I had extra anti sckness meds and  i did lose my hair (i’m now on erbulin and so far havent lost much…but not sure its even workng!!). The man problem was fatigue so really pace yourself and rest plenty. I’m sure you wll be fine and the treatment will ‘do the trick’. Keep posting.x

Hi Miller08 sorry that you are here. I got diagnosed April 2014 with mets in my spine ribs liver and eventually brain. Originally I had radio for the brain then was put on Fec but only managed two lots of that as I stopped eating so was put on Letrozole. I made some improvement on that but the last scan showed from my two steps forward I have taken one back so now like you I am on Docetaxol. I am having it slightly differently than normal as in every week instead of every three weeks to minimise the side effects of me not eating again. I’ve only had two lots so far only another16 weeks to go!! So far so good I’m still eating but not sleeping too well not helped by being on steroids 3 days out of 7. I was sat up watching TV at 1.45 this morning. Suprising what rubbish is on at that time. I am finding myself tired a couple of days after having it and I am finding myself very achey but that could be over doing the gardening yesterday. One tip I was given on here was to suck ice or icepops while having your treatment to help stop getting a sore mouth. I take a food flask filled with icepops when I have my treatment and so far no problems. My biggest problem so far is them finding the veins I shall be a human pin cushions full of holes soon! I am going to ask my onc next week if I can have a line put in but one on my chest (cann’t remember what they are called) because the one I had before on my arm caused all sorts of problems with my sensitive skin and the dressings.As for the hair going I’ve lost mine once already and it has grown back and will come out again but hey ho it didn’t really bother me. Unfortuneatly the hair on the chin might be a different matter. Last time I didn’t lose any other hair including eyebrows and lashes and chin!!! Hope your treatment goes well.