Newly diagnosed with grade 2 BC

Hi everyone I am 51 years old and have recently been diagnosed with BC grade 2. I have already had my lumpectomy and SLNB. Results showed I am estrogen positive and Her2 positive as well. Due to start chemo on the 27th Oct. I am having 4 sessions of chemo then Herceptrin, 6 weeks of radiotherapy and hormone tablets. I seem to be coping with it all too well so worried if my positiveness will fail me. I think it just might come when my hair falls out, although I am going to try the cooling cap to try and combat it. To help I am having my long hair cut short this weekend so if it does fall out hopefully it won’t be quite such a shock.I am having my chemo at Barnsley and my radiotherapy will be at Sheffield, anyone else out there like me.

Hi OSJL

I too start my chemo on 27th Oct. I had an MX and SNB last month and final path report showed I’m grade 3, HER2+ and ER+ with node involvement. I’ll have 3x FEC 3x TAX with Herceptin (18) followed by 3/4 weeks radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for 5 years.
I’m like you and seem to have coped really well so am waiting to hit my brick wall. My hair is already short (has been for years) so I’m not too worried about the hair loss and have decided to get different styled wigs long, short, blonde brunette so I can have a change if I want, although at this moment in time OH is refusing to leave the house with me if I get a pink one!! I started a thread if you’d like come join us it’s called ‘Starting chemo Nov 2011’

I’ve got my pre-assessment tomorrow so I’m having lunch with a friend today, well a girls got to spoil herself while she can :slight_smile:

Take care
L4W

Hi OSJL
I live in Barnsley area, am 52 had my WLE & also had mammoplasty (at Sheffield) to reduce breast for radiotherapy, have started Tamoxifen but awaiting radiotherapy have apt at Sheffield on Tues for planning, scans etc. I had low grade 1, 8mm invasive ductal(said tubular at biopsy) no node involvement but have 5 weeks of radiotherapy to have due to having large boobs! Not like you i know but when you mentioned Barnsley thought i’d just say hello and give you best wishes for your treatment.

Hi OSJL

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving from the other users you may find it useful to order the BCC resources pack, which has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed. The pack is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. To order a pack just follow his link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/heal … tionId/82/

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hello ladies , I am 36 and have had WLE and node sampling done , got my results last week, thankfully no further cancer no node involvement but it is her2 positive , not sure what treatment lies ahead as I go on Tuesday next week to find out , think it is Chemo and Herceptin will know more next week.They have said any treatment is for prevention …don’t know how I feel about losing my hair it is short but i am worried about others reaction to my hair loss.Very silly I know.I live in Sheffield so if any ladies are in Sheffield maybe we could meet up …x

Hi Happygolucky,

I was 34 turning 35 in the week I was diagnosed with Stage 1 grade 3 BC. I like you had no node involvment and no further spread at this time. I received chemo FEC-T x 3 months and Docetaxol x 3 months followed by 20 rads and Herceptin. Some hospitals give slightly different offerings of chemo but you will almost certainly have rads and herceptin. Im guessing you have already been to the hospital so you now know what treatment you will receive but if you have any questions or would like to chat please feel free to drop me a line.

The hairloss is traumatic and an experience I wouldnt like to repeat but it does grow back and fairly quickly. I myself never let my family/friends see me without my wig or headscarve but that was just how I felt. Treat yourself to a nice wig it really does help and def go to the ‘Look good feel better workshop’ you get loads of free makeup etc and you are shown how to cover up hairloss on your eyebrows/lashes.
I live down South so miles away but pleae dont hesitate to email me. xxx

Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed, I have had my lumpsectomy and nodes removed, waiting to hear when I will start my chemo.

I live in Bromley, kent, and was wondering if anyone near by was going through this, if they would like to meet up or just by email.

Best wishes to everyone who is going through this,lets keep our chin up and together we will beat it.xxx

I have posted this on behlaf of new user Jo

hi

First ever post .I got my final results on tues after lumpectomy 4 weeks ago - nodes clear but HER2 positive . awaiting 1st appointment with oncologist but aware ive got to have chemo, herceptin and radiotherapy. is there anyone out there that would talk to me about it please, im so so scared :frowning: thankyou

Dear all… Just a post of encouragement… I was diagnosed in March with grade 2 tumour which had spread to 10/18 lymph nodes. I opted for a mastectomy from the start, rather than fiddle around with smaller ops (and possibly find I needed an mx anyway), and I’ve had chemo and radiotherapy. It’s do-able. It’s a bit of a roller coaster of good days and bad days, but I’m sure you’ll find this site brilliant as a safe place to share how you REALLY feel, and to have chuckles on days when you really didn’t think you would. Some of the humour on here is awesome. I started a “limited” blog - not out there in the open web, but through a site called “caring bridge”. It enables you to post how you are feeling, and friends/family to leave you messages - that helped too, hearing everyone’s love, and I only had to say it once when results came in etc… You can invite people and know who’s looking at what you say.
Losing hair is not great, but the wig I got on the NHS was/is fantastic. Now that I’m back at work (and still wearing it) people who didn’t know why they’d not seen me say, when I tell them, “Your hair’s grown back really quickly!!!” Gives me confidence. By Christmas I shall need my first “snip” and may be able tot put the Tribble to one side…
There’s a thread for the crass things folk say, cause someone will, (usually unintentionally)… it makes you boil and laugh at the same time…
I chose to find something to be grateful for every day. Some days that was easy (lovely bunch of flowers or whatever) some days it was harder, and a choice, not a feeling… BUT… looking back, making those choices has made the journey lighter and less awful, so I offer that to you…
Where you are now… at the beginning… stay in the day… grab hold of your thoughts when they rush off into “what if”… bring them back to now… it does help… face things when you get to them, rather than waste precious energy worrying about them in advance… I know, I know, easier said than done, but it too, helps…

Good luck to you all… and KEEEEEEEEP Posting! Jane

Hi Jo

As well as the support you receive here please do give the BCC helpline a call and talk through your feelings and concerns with one of our trained members of staff.

Everyone working on the helpline either has experience of breast cancer, or is a breast care nurse, and will be able to offer you emotional support as well as practical information.

The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 9 to 2pm.

Me too! I was told this morning that I have grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma. Wow… Feel like I am stepping onto a rollercoaster and am pretty scared. No one to talk to as I am a widow and my family are abroad. Can’t spend ages on the phone as don’t know how to tell my sons. I have read lots of posts on this site and the support seems fantastic.

Hi Moya

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you will receive here you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/pub … cer-bcc145

Also, if you would like to talk to someone please do give the helpline a ring and talk with one of the BCC trained members of staff who will be able to offer you a listening ear as well as upport and information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturday.