Newly diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and worried it has spread.

Hello everyone,

I have not used anything like this before, so hoping I am doing it right!  I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and had a lumpectomy 3 days ago.  I am doing ok but have this great fear that it has spread to my bones or somewhere else in my body.  My cancer is invasive 1 cm and low grade. No signs on scan of lymph nodes involved and one lymph node removed at sentinel level for testing.  My results are next Thursday.  I feel that I should be hopeful but for some reason I am scared they will miss something and it will be in my blood or something.  I wondered if there are other tests they could do to put my mind at ease as I understand being relaxed is essential for recovery.  I feel a bit silly as so many have much worse diagnosis and seem to cope very positively. I was half way through taking my Mum for her chemo for bowel cancer when diagnosed myself.  Also in the middle of moving house from rented to buying a small place after separation from my husband a year ago.  I can’t believe what is happening in my life all at once!  It is so overwhelming.  I stubbled across this site and found it a really good place with some good advice- so here I am.  I hope I can help support others too.  Thank you for reading. x

Hi Loulou50

I was also diagnosed with a 1cm invasive cancer in July this year - mine was grade 3 and I was absolutely terrified it had spread. A breast MRI showed that there were no other areas of concern but because of a strong family history of breast cancer I decided to have a double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. They also removed 5 lymph nodes for testing.

The results from the surgery revealed exactly what the MRI had shown, so I think you can be pretty confident that what your medical team are telling you is correct. 1cm is pretty small so well done for finding it so early.

I also asked about bone scans, etc but was told that even IF (and it’s a big if) it had spread it would be very unlikely to be visible on scans at this point, so unless you have any symptoms I don’t think they routinely give them.

It sounds like you have an awful.lot happening in your life right now and this is the last thing you needed. However I promise that once you have your results and know what is happening next you will feel better and more positive.

Jo x

Hello loulou50, you sound just as I did on 21st July when I was diagnosed. I went on to have the lumpectomy on 15th August with 2 lymph nodes taken, results followed 10 days later and it was 1.6cm tumour, grade or stage 2 whichever the term is as I always get mixed up. I did not need chemo and started radiotherapy on 19th Sept for 19 days and today was my 15th day. It has been a crazy, dark summer but I can finally see light at the end of this tunnel and you will too. All that you are feeling right now is perfectly natural, I thought every twinge etc, I even had the bc nurse check my good breast as I was sure I had the same feeling I had that made me go to the doc, no lump just a weird feeling. It is hard to believe that when people say once your treatment plan starts things will become easier, I know I wanted to believe but really doubted it, however I truly am in a better place now and know you will be too. Take good care and just be you as it is a scary time but will pass.Mary. xxx

Hi loulou,

I remember similar feelings at your stage & my diagnosis was similar to yours but grade 2.

What you say about your diagnosis sounds very positive, so hopefully all will be well.  

My bc was removed with ‘good margins’ & clear nodes (also clear on scans), so as there was ‘no evidence of disease,’ there was no need for further investigations. Once the anxiety of the wait was over, my anxiety about any spread resolved, hopefully, this will be the same for you.

ann x

Hi, LouLou, I understand what you mean about worrying if  the cancer has spread, I’ve just found out there was something on the mammogram I had in November which should have triggered a recall but it didn’t. I’m having a lumpectomy and SNB  on Wednesday, they have brought my op forward, but have to wait two weeks for the results as I have a form of leukaemia so they need to be sure, but I am absolutely terrified.  

Thinking of you, take care 

Eileen

xx

hi loulou,
snap!
mine was initially grade 1 then, then upped to 2 on final results. It is not uncommon for the grade to change between biopsy & full excision. Mine was also removed with good margins & clear nodes (2). The surgeon would have only removed the node necessary for examination, but do check with the team if you need clarfication.
Surgeon was v reassuring, said the grade did not change my prognosis & treatment, so I was happy with that.
I also waited about the same time for rads, had 15 fractions, am now on tamoxifen & feel back to normal.
I was discharged by the oncologist in July & am now on 5 year follow-up.
If its any help, what you say somewhat mirrors my experience, which I feel fine with, but do get back to your team if you feel you need further clarification.
ann x.