Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly diagnosed

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: Just had my core biopsy today.

Hi Jilly.

Think each hospital is different.

I had my biopsy 20th October and was done via connection to ultrasound.

Cant imagine having one done while stuck in a mammagram machine. It was bad enough for me and my small breasts just getting a standard mammagram.

Luckily I was lying down and comfortable. My biopsy did hurt. I was in pain and bruised for a good couple of weeks.   

In fact, looking back, biopsy hurt me more than the actual operation I had. 

We are all different eh. All with different bodies and pain thresholds.

I was dreading my operation. It was a wire guided local excision and SNB. Fitting of the wire wasnt that bad.

My operation was on th 12th. I have grade 2 invasive ductal breast cancer.

On Friday I find out if they managed to remove the cancer with a clear margin or not, and if its spread.

Then will know next steps and what my care plan is to be.

So just waiting.... 

Hope all goes well for you.

Thank you for being here to.

x

Highlighted

Re: Just had my core biopsy today.

Hi Ladies.

Had a biopsy today, Wasn't the best thing to happen to me in my time on the planet, but it certainly wasn't the worst.

Thanks to the ladies at The Lineker Centre in Wigan.

Came in for a routine scan last week and was told i may have calcification because my mammogram showed up some little bright spots.

Was referred to a doctor and taken for an ultrasound and was reassured that it didn't look so bad but further assessment should be done.

Was a little uncomfortable but by not looking at the procedure and chatting inanely at the nurse who held my hand took my mind off the uncomfortable feeling. Don't get me wrong, it didn't hurt, was just an odd feeling. Being stuck in a mammogram machine while another nurse was sticking tubes into me was just

surreal.

I think the worst bit was stopping the bleeding from a little wound on the breast. Again it wasn't a problem, just a nurse squeezing the wound to put pressure on it. Standard practice if you've ever done first aid.

Have had some pain tonight, it's a dull ache and a bit sore when I bend down, but paracetamols help.

I mean I've been poked, prodded and squeezed for the best part of an hour today so I'm really not surprised.

So I go back on the 3rd of December for the results. Would you believe, I'm not worried? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Sorry, if I come to it.

Just to say that anyone who is looking towards this procedure with any worry or trepidation, don't.

It isn't half as bad as going to the dentist, by a long way.

By the way. Thanks for just being here girls. x

Highlighted

Re: Newly diagnosed

Hi Dollie. How are things with you ? 

X

Highlighted

Hi Lesley. What a relief. Thats such great news. I am really pleased for you. 

You are right about the waiting. But there is nothing anyone can do. I am at home and recovering. Doing my gentle exercises. A friend or two have popped by. Watch a bit of TV. Just catching up on Peaky Blinders.

Oh ands its already a week since my op -tomorrow.Unfortunately I have a funeral to go to on Thursday. Friday a trip to the drs to remove my dressings. Then the weekend. If all is well with you I think you should get on with whatever you need to do. All the very best.x

Highlighted

Hi Balli-Boo

Just read your post.  I was very luckly and got the all clear from the biopsy last wednesday.  Emotional wasn't the word! The last two weeks must have flooded out.  Anyway, I am still interested in how you are getting on.  Hence, I am following the thread.  I hope each day gets better and I bet the 28th can't come quickly enough.  I think the waiting is so torturous.  Take care of yourself. (lesley)

Highlighted

Hi Lesley. Thank You.

Not sure if you can see my reply to Boa ref my surgery. All went well apart from the allergic reaction.To be fair they dealt with it quickly and I recovered asap. It was a bit of a shock to see. But I was ok. We all  had a laugh about it. I got a bit too emotional and started crying cos they bought in one too many students to look at me. Its not nice when they all want to look at whats gone wrong and just because they hadnt seen anything like it before. 

I have to go to my GP and see nurse on Friday to remove dressings. 

Then hospital appt is 28th Nov. Not too long to wait.

but its too long to wait ! ! ! 

Thanks for your support.

Good Luck.

Highlighted

Hi Boa. I have only just logged on after my surgery. Thank you for trying to reaasure me and if I had read your message  I would have been reassured. 

My surgery was delayed. I had a call on Sunday whilst picking up a few bits in Tesco's. The woman that called me was awful.She had no emphathy whatsoever. I was told surgery would be in the afternoon but I still had to come in at 7.30am.cos had to have wire....so to me that meant I woul be waiting around for some time,even longer than originally anticipated.

You prepare yourself...l then things change. 

Anyway, was there 7.15am. Sat around, given a bed, told to put gown on.Then just sat there for what seemed like forever. I opened the curtains cos I got so claustrophobic.There were no windows or daylight.

Everthing got better after that. Everyone was great.Really nice people doing a great job. I was dreading having the wire inserted as I expected it to hurt. It was a little uncomfortable. I then met another woman who had also had same procedure so we kept ourselves occupied.We had this major thing in common.

My wait seemed to get shorter. We sat and chatted together and with one or two others who were in for other surgery. We heard tha a consultant had not passed correct details on hence our surgery had been moved to later in the day.

So some hours later....I had my wire in and radioactive element injection done by 10am. My surgery was at 1.30pm. I found out at 1pm so was almost in a state.kept wanting to go to the loo. As mentioned the team were great.

I had my surgery.All was ok. Surgeon said it went well.

I did have however have a reaction to the blue dye. Similar to hives.blue,green and red. Looked like a smurf. 

The anaesthetist was brilliant.Treated me with hydrocortisone and antihitamine and nearly did kepp me in overnight but I managed to get out and home for 10pm same day.

My partner has been looking after me very well. I am not in any great pain. Have managed to shower and do the relevant exercises. 

Letter for follow up appointment received today.

Appt is for 28th Nov. I have my dressings being removed this Friday.Decided to tell my father in law today and feel better. 

Thanks for your support. Hope all is well with you .Did you have radiotheraphy? 

Highlighted

Best of luck. Hope everything goes well. Keeping an eye on your post as I may be following in your footsteps re surgery. Just waiting on biopsy results.
(Ch0c0late) lesley
Highlighted

Hi Balli-Boo
Just noticed your post and wanted to try to reassure you. I had a WLE and SNB back in August and like you I was nervous as I haven't been in hospital and only once had a general anaesthetic. I was looked after very well and had very little pain. It was a day surgery and I was discharged at 9pm. Went home to bed and was able to get back up by 7am next day. We all heal at different rates but just wanted to let you know it will go fine for you. It is a worrying time but you will get the best care possible.
Boa
Highlighted

Thanks Jo.
Highlighted

Thank You Dollie.

I was reading some of the other posts and was in tears.

Obviously as individuals we all have our different histories. Its good to share.

My Mum still recognises us and we havent as yet had her assessed. She broke her arm in march and there was some other complications. Had to put her into a care home for 9 weeks as we couldnt cope at home. I had 3 weeks off work but it was impossible. Between me and my rother we were 24/7 but I then had to go back to work. We got though that and she now has no recollection of the care home. Some days she doesnt remember whether she has eaten or not. Each day is different.

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds similar to someone I know at work whose mother doesnt recognise her at all. Its all very difficult.

In addition , I think I mentioned my brother is not 100% well himself.

Plus one of our best friends died on 25/10/2014. We dont know what happened. My partner went to school with him. We were just stunned. Then a couple of days later we get this news.

Like you mention , some days are etter than others. I am on my own this week so have more time to feel sorry for myself and "melt-down".

Not sure if i should have told my mother and brother as they are very upset. 

My partner has just lost his best friend. Also my partners mother died from cancer in May 1999 so is a reminder.

My pre op is this Thursday and surgery is next Wednesday. I am so scared.

My partner will be with me on the day of the op. He has been brilliant so far. We decided not to tell his Dad just yet.

I am a bit of an emotional wreck.

It is good to hear about how other women have and are coping. I think we all need this help and support from each other. So Thank You. Really appreciated you sharing. All the best with the rest of your treatment. xx

Highlighted

Hi balli boo. I just happened to see your post by accident but really related to what you say. I too was taken totally by surprise after a routine mamm in June and a call back few days later. After two biopsies and what felt like an eternity waiting for results I finally had surgery in august. My dad has Alzheimer's and doesn't recognise me so I understand what you are going through. I have found a huge amount of support on this website for each stage. You never think of the questions until after your appts and there is always an answer and a shoulder in this forum. I have broken down many times over the past few months but as you understand more about your diagnosis it's easier to cope with. I am now mid way through radiotherapy - still having meltdown days but have great support network. Take care and hoping all goes well for you. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Balli-Boo

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

After reading you post please could I suggest that you give our helpline team a ring and talk to them about your situation.  The staff are here to support you both practically and emotionally through this.  Lines open a t 9am today through until 5pm (weekdays) and 10-2 Saturdays.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Newly diagnosed

Hi everyone.

I had my first mammagram on 6th October. Was quite uncomfortable. Probably easier for ladies that are bustier. I was pulled and dragged.Having small breasts they found it difficult to get scan done. Thought nothing furhter of it until I received a recall letter Thursday stating my hospital appointment was for the following Monday. What was wrong wih me they should call me in so quickly ? Letter also stated that my GB had een advised of my reasons for recall etc ut when I called them they didnt have a clue. I was totally freaked out as on  the letter as it stated appointment was for further tests , mammagram . ultrasound , fine needle and core biopsy. I tried to find out more info but couldnt really get much from anyone. Had a very bad weekend. No sleep. Restless. Very frightened.

I went to the appointment on my own as my partner works away an was unable to get time off.

Another couple of uncomfortable mammagrams. Plus ultrasound. Of course I needed the biopsy. I was petrified. I hadnt much experience of hospitals and practices. Seemed unreal.

I was in a lot of pain and they had to give me more anaesthetic. Then I was sent home... appoint for results...nearly 2 weeks later.

I managed  to drive just about. The bumps in the roads were not good.

Waiting for the results was awful as some of you have already commented.

I was too scared to remove my dressing. When I did a couple of days later I found I had a small bruise but over the cours of a couple of days, the whole bottom half of my breast was black and green and just very sore.

Eventually time arrived. My partner went with me last Wednesday. He drove 4 hours to get to me.I wasnt sure I wanted him to be there. Mixed emotions. We had just lost a friend a few days ago and as yet , we don't know what happened to him. Its all been a bit much. Earlier this year my 78 year old mother fell and broke her arm and now appears to be suffering from some type of dementia. My brother looks after her as he cannot work due to illness.  I have to help out a lot and now I am concerned that as I have breast cancer , how that is going to affect the rest of my family. Emotionally have been a wreck. Just cant stop crying at times.

My family have been very supportive but obviously scared. its the big C. My mother doesn't understand and jusst keeps asking if I am ok. My partner has been brilliant but unfortunately he does work away and is 160 miles away from me right now.

I have my pre op appt Thursday ut am going to try and change it for Friday morning and my wire guided wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy is booked for the following week.

I am absolutely terrified. Reading up on this helps as I understand a bit better so thanks to Google and places like the breast cancer care wesite.   I have read a few of the other blogs and would like to wish everyone the best. I find it a comfort to be able to put this in writing.