Newly diagnosed

Newly diagnosed

Newly diagnosed This was posted by a new member Junie on another thread, in reply to a post, but hopefull Junie will find some suport here from others with DCIS that may not see her post in the newly diagnosed therad.
BCC Host

posted on 17.01.06 9:04 pm
junie

Hi,Cally,
So sorry to read that you’re in free fall. I was diagnosed with ductile carcinoma in situ 12 days ago and today has been the worst day ever.I have been putting on a brave face for others but today I couldn’t pretend any more.
I go on the 30th for a mastectomy and reconstruction and so far the consultant is convinced that there’s no need for chemo but I’ll have to wait and see…
I hope that you realise that there are a lot of us out there and this forum can help you.
This is the first posting I’ve put on and I send you my best wishes, I’ve no idea myself what I’m facing but together we can face anything

DCIS Diagnosis Junie Hi
Sorry about your diagnosis, but dcis is not invasive, and you should only need radiotherapy if it has spread to the lymph nodes. Your surgeon will most probably take some out for testing, when he does your op.
I had a masectomy for widespread dcis early October, with an expander implant put in at the same time. Luckily lymph nodes were clear so no radiotherapy!!
It hasn’t been without problems, and ups and downs, but the expansion is now going well, and I may even be in a bikini again in the summer!!!
Good luck to you for the 30th, be brave if you feel you can, but a good cry helps as well.
I visit the site every day, as it makes the whole process less lonely, and you know there will always be someone there for you.

Hi Cally,— I was diagnosed with DCIS last June, and had a Mastectomy and reconstruction last July, I had some lymph nodes taken and they all came back clear which I was very happy about of course. I know at the moment it seems had to come to terms with, I know I did a lot of sighing and my family would ask was I ok and I would say yes because you try to keep it all in for them, but I found if I wrote things down, not for anyone but me to read, but sometimes it helped get things out of my head if you know what I mean.
After my op and when I had my first check up I said if I could be of help to anyone to have a chat about the op etc, just let me know, well my breast care nurse did and I have met a lovely lady and we have become friends, it helped me as much as her because it has made me see how far I have come.
I went on holiday in November and wore my bikini and felt ok in it, and in January I started back at the gym only on the bike and cross trainer, no weights yet.
I am fine now still have the nipple reconstruction to have but that is not urgent just cosmetic but I will be glad when it is done. I hope all goes well for you, taked care and be positive.

Hi Cally …so sorry you’ve had to join us. As I am sure you know with DCIS you can usually opt for a wide local excision and radiotherapy or a mastectomy. Usually no further treatment is required for the mastectomy route. So if you’ve opted for that and there is no reason to suspect an invasive component that should be it.

This is a time for making lots of serious decisions really quickly and if you are anything like me your knowledge of breast cancer upon diagnosis was nil. The difficulty with that is that you don’t know what questions to ask. I hope you have a good surgeon and breast care nurse and anything you want to know you can post here - there are a lot of ‘switched on’ women on this site. The emotional side is tough to deal with it. somehow - probably because there is so much going on - you just seem to be propelled through it. We’ve all had many moments here so just feel free to vent your spleen or let it all out here - the women are great. Take care of yourself and keep posting
love celeste x

good luck —Hi Junie

Just want to say good luck for monday, and let us no how you get on,

karen