Newly diagnosed

Hi I’ve been recently diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in the bone I’m also HER2 positive I’ve my first visit to the oncologist tomorrow,but I’ve already read some uplifting posts on here so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi Tylerrose and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and shared experiences you will soon have here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns you may have, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to the BCC secondary pages where you will find lots more support ideas and information which I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries?utm\_source=Homepage&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=secondaries

Take care

Lucy

hi went to my first oncologist appointment yesterday was told that it is all down my spine not just at the bottom as thought in my ribs and lymph nodes in my upper body, have been told that i will be having chemo,herceptin and a new drug pertuzumab all at the sametime every 3 weeks, as anyone else had this cocktail.

i would luv to find someone to talk to thats in the same boat as me.

Hello there I’ve just my first biopsy on my right breast. I’m 35 and terrifed I’ve already convinced myself and family I’ve got cancer. I’ve now got a week of torchure stress and anxiety whilst I wait for my results. Its killing me not knowing and making me feel sick and scared. Xx

i know how you feel the waiting is awful I cope by putting out of my mind, and telling everyone im fine but thats my way of coping, we are all different,I do have meltdowns usually when im on my own, I do know how you feel I will keep my fingers crossed for you,keep me updated xx

Hi tylerrose -Im on taxotere, herceptin and perjeta.
Actually have just completed the taxotere and now on what i call the HP sauce.
I will be in touch with more info shortly but wanted to drop a quick line today - in the meantime have a look at post 18, belinda, on the topic Really had enough of the whole cancer Rrubbish in the family,partners and friends forum. Someone in a similiar situation to you i believe, 10 years on :slight_smile:
There are inspiring stories here and an awful lot of truths,and every one’s experience is different within a common bond, try not to get too overwhelmed (ridiculous comment i know), be gentle with you and ask as many questions as you want to!
Claire

Hi luv thanks I start my cocktail on Friday only saw onc last Tuesday but he has already got the funding through and said he wants to start my treatment ASAP everything as moved so quickly in the last week, so here we go starting on my own journey, and keeping my fingers crossed that this works for me as for many others will keep you updated, and good look with your treatment. Rose xxx

Knuttbush I know how your feeling keeping my fingers crossed for you. Chin up luv and try and stay positive I know it’s hard all to well will be thinking of you, Rose xxx

Hi rose - i have noticed that some of the side effects i was having when on taxotere and hp sauce have certainly improved and the last treatment session - of just the hp sauce - has been much easier.
i think the thing i was most unprepared for was what a looooonnng day treatment day is!
I expected the first treatment with loading dose to be long but each session has been a full 9-5 job.
Bloods have to be taken, and checked, before onc gives the ok to pharmacy, who only then prepare the cocktail.
Then each infusion takes over an hour, with a flush inbetween, pre meds etc etc, etc. the premed makes you a little sleepy and it was always a bonus if i did nod off for an hour or 2 as it made the time go by quicker. I have learnt to just go with it and although took kindle, letters to write, new novels etc, found i just zombied out for the day, took a nice lunch, made small talk, read very undemanding hospital mags and the time went by. It would have been useful if i cd have got internet access on my ph perhaps…could have looked up holiday/day out destinations and investigated other nicer things!
The preand post treatment steroids affected my sleep, either wide awake for 24hrs or asleep for 22/24. Again, i just went with it, i’m very fortunate with an undemanding family (daughter at home aged 24) and an easy going partner, and took 6 months off work on half pay.
Side effects for me included fairly severe diarrohea, a rather unpleasant and uncomfortable discharge in my undergarment department , occassional but pretty rough headaches and scaly feet. NONE of this was unbearable or continuous or stopped me from enjoying anything i wanted to do. A general tiredness and less energy stopped me from hauling 20 odd cans of water at the alotmen ttoo often and i have more nettles than beans to harvest this year but my gardenat home is beautiful, i have had mini breaks, day trips and meals out with friends and lots of time to relax.
Probably waffled on too much here, apologies if so. msg me if you want to know more, really hope i havent worried you or anything, the above is purely one persons reponse and no two people will have the same experience. Hope all goes as well as it can do. take care
Claire

Hi Claire thanks for that, not looking forward to the scaly feet lol i am hoping to carry on working if poss but im fortunate that i work close to home and have a very understanding manager/ friend, will keep you posted,I also have my daughter still living at home with my grandson aged 21 months(little monkey, propa lad) but gorgeous with it, dont know how im going to relax if feeling a little off, can see it now mum can you do so and so, and me can you hang on a minuite while i throw up wont be long lol. just joking dont think it will be that bad, speak to you soon. Rose xx

Hi alize you have bought a bit of comfort into my upside down life at the moment I am waiting to see the oncologist and emagining every thing mind on over drive but your chat was very reassuring think you have found the right balance love Jenny xx

Jenny, I sent you a message yesterday - have you looked at ‘Messages’ at the top of the left-hand column? under ‘People’?

I often think it’s a bit random as to whether we read messages, as unless you come on the forum you don’t know - other sites leave a message in your email Inbox…

Anyway, glad you’re getting some reassurance on here - I certainly didn’t know treatment lasted so long…! First day on Thursday, can’t wait. My daughter is taking me but she can’t stay all day. Will have to sort something out…

Annie x