Newly diagnosed

I was diagnosed Tuesday 9th June, I was expecting it as I just followed my gut feeling. My husband is devastated.  Yesterday I had a CT Scan, heart scan and met up with my lovely breast cancer care nurse. Next week, MRI, ultra sound and a bone scan. I feel overwhelmed, 46 fit and healthy yet this cancer has invaded me. I have good family support my husband has been a tower of strength so far even though he is finding it hard to get his head around it all.  I only have one nagging question at the moment, how do you deal/cope with losing your hair? I feel for me this in when the cancer will feel real, did anyone else feel this way?

Thank you for taking the time to read my first post.

Bagpuss68

Hi Bagpuss and sorry to hear your news. It sounds like you are getting lots of support and so far coping well so that’s really good. In terms of hair loss, it is hard. However, I think its worse thinking about it in advance though than once it has happened. Just do the things you can to prepare - pick what headgear you want (I had a wig for work, and some lovely hats for the rest of the time) and if you go for a scarf or turban practice tying it. And if you have long hair you might want to cut it shorter, but depends how you feel. I had mine cut to a very short bob, and then when it started coming, I got my husband to clipper it really short.

Also - not everyone looses their hair - some people have success with the cold cap and you could try it if you wanted to.

So prepare for it but you might be lucky. You already know you will need chemo I take it?

Hi bagpuss68

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support. I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis. 

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi

I to have recently been diagnosed 20th May, I’m 39 fit and healthy start chemo in the next 2-3weeks and I’m also finding it very hard to come to terms with the prospect of loosing my hair. Everyone keeps saying it will grow back. But they just don’t understand how anxious it makes you feel. I have an appointment next thurs for a wig fitting and I’m almost certain I’ll have yet another meltdown. I intend giving the cold cap a go and have begun taking vitamins to strengthen the hair ( vitamins to make me feel better, don’t think they will do much in the way of saving my hair) but anything is worth a try. Hope everything goes well for you and in turn we both May at some manage to accept/ overcome the anxiety caused with hair loss xx

Hairloss is horibble but my advice would be to try and not to worry about it until it starts to happen (if it does at all), easier said than done I know but at this time you have so much more to be getting your head around re: treatment.

I was diagnosed in Feb with Grade2 IDC and have had numerous ops, fertility treatemnt (was only 37 and single at diagnosis) I’m now 2x down on my FEC-T chemo, bald and weirdly enjoying it!

I used to have very long wavy hair and was always being complimented on this, I’ll even admit to be quite vain and proud of it (have a large nose so I felt the hair pulled the attention away from the face) and my biggest worry all along was ‘how will I look when the hair my has gone’ but my Oncologist was brilliant, she sat me down, told me when to expect the hairloss (4wks into treatment) and offered up the cold cap to try and delay what was the inevitable for me. I did try the cold cap on each of my chemo sessions so far but unfortunately it didn’t work for me and I lost 75% of my hair 10 days ago (5days before my 38th Birthday).

Once I felt the first clump of hair come loose in the shower I made the decision to shave it off so I invited some friends round a day later, had a glass of wine (or three, it was medicinal after all) and shaved my head. It took some getting used to but nearly a week later I am Teri for journeys outside (Teri is the name of my wig) and Riley when I’m at home (a friends hubby has said I look like the the female character in Alien…cheeky so and so) I won’t type what my brother calls me as I don’t think my post would be accepted haha!

I really do hope you find a way to accepting hair loss soon, try the cold cap if it is available to you - you will look like a tool but the comedy value is priceless, have a day out with your  family/friend/s and try on some really bad wigs (this will make fall in love with your eventual wig) and try and find something to laugh about each day even if you are feeling everything is against you.

Oh and if you do lose your lovey locks, maybe think about taking some photos of it and any of you once shaven headed and send them to your loved ones before they see you for the first time after hair loss, I found this lessened the impact. My biggest thing is seeing peoples reactions to me and how I look so the less glass eyed looks I received the better I could cope with the hairloss.

Sorry I didn’t mean to ramble on, I hope you find something useful in the above and please feel free to ask any questions back if I’ve touched on anything helpful.

xxx