Newly diagnosed

Had a results meeting last thursday with a surgeon who confirmed right breast IBC - with spread to lymph nodes, metastases in ribs, query nodule in lung but all major organs clear - as diagnosis and said I would have chemo but would be unlikely to have a mastectomy. She emphasised that chemo was to begin immediately with no delay. The clear outtake was that this was a terminal diagnosis. My husband and sister were with me and heard the same black implied message.

We then were sent to see an oncologist who queried the rib metastases and said it would require a bone scan to confirm and that if the cancer had not metastasised, my cancer was stage 2. If metastasised, stage 4. She said I was to start chemo with a couple of weeks or so -“no rush, you need time to get your head round this”. When I said I understood that IBC was always stage 3+ and that speed of treatment commencement was vital, she said it might be cancer with an inflammatory element and that 2 weeks+ delay in starting chemo would make no difference. She seemed very positive that this was treatable. Do not now know who to believe or what to think. I feel the cancer is progressing fast and am terrified of it running unchecked round my body before chemo starts. My first both noticeable external physical symtoms of increasing redness and swelling in my breast only started less than 4weeks ago. Now half my  breast is a painful angry red. I feel like I have been plucked out of my lovely normal life and thrown into a new terror-filled dimension.

All thoughts from you who have been through this diagnosis and treatment (esp speed of commencement) very very  welcome. 

Hello CinnamonGirl

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence you may like to phone our helpline  where you can talk to a member of staff who are there to support you. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Beginning of July I realised my nipple had started ti sink into the breast (or be pulled in). I saw my GP on 9 July. Appt with Breast Unit on 31 July - slightly delayed because letter got lost in post. Immediately had ultra sound and biopsies of breast and lymph node. Bone scan, CT scan of thorax, abdomen and pelvis, mammogram and blood tests on 7 August. Shd be starting chemo (prior to surgery) on 19 August. Seems quite fast to me. I have no pain and minimal swelling so far.

I just asked for a mammogram cuz I turned forty…six months later I. Was stage 4 triple negative inflammatory. .it was 7 cm!!! Plus lymph nodes. …how long do i have…the docs said CURE…! I thought I was gonna be cured …please I need some one who knows what all this means…