Newly diagnosed

I have just been told that I have breast cancer for the second time in 5 years . On the 29 the Feb I am having a double mastectomy followed by chemotherapy. I am so scared . Last time I had a lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy so not as scary as this time. Can anyone help allay my fears .

Hi Sunset, Welcome to the nut house!!! Ive been here since December, I was diagnosed small grade 2 tumor on 25th November, they wanted to take mine as a lumpectomy or through breast reduction and removal of the cancer. I didn’t want either I told them I wanted (who bloody wants it!!!) A double mastectomy and immeadiate reconstruction, because I wasn’t going through what they wanted so the damm thing could come back (I believe mine will, even thou the docs think Im a head case), so its taken me all this time to persuade them Im serious, I’ve even had to have a physological assessment to check I know what Im doing, anyway, my surgery is on 27th February, its a long operation for me as Ive opted to have reconstruction from my stomach they call it DIEP and not implants, but although I’m terrified, for me its the right thing. So I will be ahead of yopu by two days, don’t suppose your going into the Royal Free in London are you.?, Ring up the helpline here ask for the “someone like me service”, they will put you in touch with someone who has had exactly same but is two or three years down the line, I have two lovely ladies, both had only one breast and both had different types of reconstruction they ring me every week, I’ve got a list of useful stuff to take into hospital if you want I could email you privately with it, also check out the website called DRAIN DOLLIES, a very brave young woman (18) had to have a double mastectomy and we will have drains either side of us that may stay in for a few days, she makes these soft bags that have a shoulder **bleep** them so you cant pop your drains in them whislt we hobble about, I’ve brought 2, think they were about £5.00 each, Ino Sunset Im sharing your fear also, but at least you know that once this is done you are giving yourself the best possible chance that this can never come back, I no there is a tiny chance but you won’t have to live with the fear again, thats why I’m having a double mastectomy, I’m 58 never been ill got no symptoms just a routine mammogram, and BOOM. You don’t say if they are offering you immeadiate reconstruction, I’m having skin sparing, but decided not to keep my nipples, they wont work anyway as they will be numb, so I decided it was something esle to worry about them taking as they have to move them, I will have them done (its a smaller operation and simple) in 6 months to a years time, I don’t know yet if I have to have chemo, until the op when they do the SNB and the lad results are in I don’t know. I no its scary but your not alone facing this, others are too, this site is amazing and the support you will get here is well words begin to tell you. 

Sending a hug .

BlossonHill XXX

Hi Sunset.  So sorry you are back here and facing a double mx :frowning:  Some great advice from Blossom - she’s researched everything!  Hospital trusts vary enormously in what they provide, so well worth checking with your BCN before buying anything. I had a single mx in November and my hospital don’t use drains, so I was fairly mobile almost immediately I was back on the ward.  With a bi-lateral mx you will need more help as you won’t have a ‘good’ side to push yourself upright.  Have a look at the ‘What to take into hospital?’ thread on the surgery board for practical advice on clothing, snacks, drinks, etc.  As a surgery virgin, it was incredibly helpful to me and I had everything I needed (and more) because of it.  

Then there’s the issue of help at home to face.  I found a ‘Breast Friends’ group locally and they loan out electrically operated recliner chairs for women having recon surgery.  I am sure they would also loan out for bi-lat mx, so worth looking into. I had to sleep propped up for several nights, but I’m not sure how I would have managed on a bed if both arms were out of action, so well worth giving some thought to how and where you will sleep at night once you are home.  

Keep posting, Sunset.  You’ll find lots of support here xx

Hi Sunset,what we all dread having to do this again ,takes a lot of emotional and physical energy to do this twice,but just cos you’ve done it once already doesn’t mean the outcome will be any less positive than the first time ,that’s the nature of the illness.Lots of love,courage and energy being sent your way.Jill.

Hi Sunset50,

I am so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis and I am sure that this has been very overwhelming for you. I trust that all went well with your operation on Monday and I hope that your recovery will not be too hindered by your arthritis and fibromyalgia (although this is bound to have an impact and I am sure must be very painfu). I presume that you have two drains in due to having a double mastectomy and I really hope that these are not causing you too much discomfort. Thinking of you and sending hugs your way. X

I had my bilateral mastectomy nearly 3weeks ago . I had to stay in hospital for a week and over that time I had 7units of blood. When I got home both breasts filled up with fluid so I had a pint drained from either side every other day . Yesterday things got worse and the fluid started pouring out so I went to hospital and my consultant opened up the scars 4 cm and with his finger pulled out huge blood clots. I am now wearing stoma bags what they use for bowel cancer to collect any remaining fluid and clots, last night I got another two huge clots from the right side. I have also got an infection and was given antibiotics. The wounds will remain open because the skin has broken down around the scar so it can’t be stitched up

Oh Sunset, that sounds like a complete nightmare! Hope you’re being well looked after in there and everything gets sorted quickly so you can begin the healing process without anymore hitches.
Sending you a virtual hug (an extremely gentle one) plus masses of virtual pain relief!!
Xxx

Oh Sunset. I’m so sorry you’re having such problems. It’s a nightmare isn’t it? I had my therapeutic mammoplasty the same day as your op and initially apart from a bit of post op bleeding everything went well. Now my wound has broken down due to lack of blood supply at the T junction so I have two holes about the size of the old 50ps with a tiny bit of skin hanging on in-between.
It really drags you down. I’m on honey dressings at the minute to try and get the dead stuff off but am not sure when I’ll be able to start my chemo xx

Oh bless you sunset what a crappy time  you’ve had,. Another  virtual hug coming your way x