cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly fignosed with bone mets

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Newly fignosed with bone mets

Hi.  Hollymeg

I was diagnosed with primary and bone mets together in May 2016.  I am currently on hormone treatment of monthly Zoladex injections (I'm premenopausal), Ibandronic acid (bisphosphonates) and tamoxifen.  If you would like to chat then please let me know.  Wishing you all the best. Debbie.

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi

When I was first dx with bone mets it was picked up as I had a local recurrence. The thought was to have chemo which would shrink the recurrence as the planned mastectomy had been cancelled due to the secondary dx. The chemo did shrink the recurrence to the point it no longer exists, and I haven't had surgery for it, as well as making the bone mets stable. I was then on anastrozole for 5 years which also kept me stable. At a routine CT scan liver mets were picked up which surprised my oncologist more than it did me as I had sort of expected them to occur at some point. I had a liver biopsy done at that point which showed I was now HER2+, having been HER2- for 10 years. This is probably why the hormone only treatment I was having was no longer fully effective (I was having none strengtheners as well). Since then I have been on Capecitabine for 18 months and then eventually docetaxel/Herceptin/Pertuzamab which is now offered for HER2+ BC ladies. I couldn't have this any earlier as my heart function was very poor after having the initial chemo back in 2008 with my bone mets. So, a slightly different story to other ladies however what I've learnt from here over the years is that there is no standard way of treating mets, it depends on the pathology of the BC as well as other factors. One thing it may be worth asking your oncologist is if you are continuing on exemestane or switching to a different hormonal drug. I think most of us who are hormone positive have had these drugs changed once progression on one particular drug has happened. As has been said by Julie on the over thread hormones do work very well for some ladies, like her, and they have kept me relatively stable over the years, until my HER2 status changed that is! Also, in my opinion denosumab is the easiest of all the bone strengthening treatments I've had over the years which he included IV and also tablet forms of bisphosphonates.

Wishing you well with your treatments.

Nicky x

Thank you nicky, I'm glad you did so well for so long. Thank goodness your liver mets are stable too. Never ending is it. I've found that thread thank you. I've posted and waiting for reply. .denosumab is what im going on along with exemestane which I've been on for years. What treatment did you have for your bine mets?

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi

Sorry you have been diagnosed with bone mets after such a long time from having your primary. We all understand the shock this causes to you and your family so you have come to the right place. I had my bone mets diagnosisin 2008,  5 years after my primary. Treatments have kept me fairly stable over theses 7 years although I do know have liver mets, these also are stable by the way. New treatments such as denosumab have come along in that time which make it easier to manage. The best thread to check out us the 'Bone mets... Please join in' one in the 'Living with Secondary Breast Cancer Section' (below the Treatments section). You will see you're not alone.

Nicky x

Newly fignosed with bone mets

Hi there I had BC back in 2009. Last week I was diagnosed with bone mets. Could someone point me in direction of best bone mets thread please