Nioxin Shampoo

Hi ladies. I am due to start my chemo in next couple of weeks and have been advised to buy Nioxin shampoo for thinning hair which arrived today. However it’s nothing on the box about chemo. Do I use this during chemo or do I wait until treatment ends? Any help appreciated. Thanks Helen xx

Hi Helen, I’ve just had my 6th and final cycle of EC-T today, I’ve cold capped each time and kept a reasonable head of hair, very thin particularly at front but I’ve not worn wig I got in readiness. Are you cold capping? I was advised to use mild shampoo so have done this through treatment but have purchased Nioxin and plan to start using this in a couple of weeks, I have also purchased some Biotin supplement but will discuss this with oncologist at next appt in 3 weeks time. Good luck with whatever you decide - worry about hair loss is not vanity, if it’s important to you do whatever you need to xx

Hi Katielou. Thanks for your reply. I will definitely be trying the cold cap. Any tips or advice? How did you look after your hair during chemo? Did your nails weaken too? I am dreading the chemo as I have a needle phobia so considering a picc line. Helen xx

I had my first chemo last Wednesday and it was bearable but I felt that after the meds had been given the cold cap increased the feelings of sickness and disorientation. Ive now decided to keep chemo stress free and I have chosen not to use the cold cap. I want to get it done in an hour and back home to bed, not an extra 3 hours freezing my brain to bits. Keep it easy and stress free I say. X?

Ps I have a huge needle phobia and I was fine. My partner took his laptop and I watched films. It’s not that bad, honestly ?x

Hi Helen, cold cap definitely worth trying, it’s pretty unpleasant initially, worst brain freeze you can imagine but you adapt to it after about 15-20 minutes and the feeling passes, helpful to take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen beforehand. Hair should be damp and protected with some conditioner prior to cap going on, good fit vital - ensure time taken to get good snug fit and have straps as tight as you can tolerate. I’ve just washed hair once a week with warm water and SLS free shampoo and conditioner, left to dry naturally or short time with dryer on lowest setting if any social events planned! It does extend time you are in unit but I’ve not found that an issue. There is a helpful website - Cancer Hair Care - well worth a look.

Ive had a Hickman line in and it’s been a godsend, veins not great so alleviates any worries about access, I would not hesitate to have a line in if offered.

Good luck with your treatment, horrible as it may be you will get through it and it is a relatively short period of time. Make sure you plan some nice treats to enjoy on the days you are feeling better, really helps to have things to look forward to.

Hi Katielou. Thanks for the advice. Had my oncology appt this morning and first chemo is 22nd March. Having a picc line in next week. Figured it’s better to only get stressed the once!!! Helen xx

I’ve had 2 doses of chemo and had the cold cap. About 75% of my hair has fallen out. It doesn’t seem to be falling out so much now but I don’t know what shampoo to use. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Sally