Nipple Recon

Hi Ladies

I hope some of you lovely ladies can help me. I’m having my Nipple Recon tomorrow - I had a Tram Recon in Feb, how long does the op usually take?
Is it painful? Do you have to refrain from showering etc?

xx

I had my nipple recon about two months ago now (following LD reconstruction). The procedure was done under local anaesthetic and didn’t hurt. The surgeon cut a flap of skin and rolled and stitched it into shape. I had a waterproof dressing on and so they said I could shower, although in fact I was nervous about getting it wet and waited a few days, just having baths and avoiding the area. Last week I had a check up and the surgeon removed some of the stitches, even though they were supposed to be dissolvable, because I am having my tattoo done tomorrow and the stitches might have got in the way. I am already delighted with my new nipple, but hope to be even more pleased after the tattoo tomorrow! Good luck! x

Thanks Lola

I had my nipple recon this morning and I didn’t feel anything either though the nurse held my hand and tried to distract me. I too am so nervous of getting in shower in case the dressing drops off! I will just have to be really careful. Is the hospital doing the tattoo as well? I never thought to ask the surgeon about that, though I have to go back next week so will ask then.

How long did you have to have the dressing on for? Good luck with the tattoo tomorrow!

xx

Yes, the hospital is doing the tattoo as well. I’ll report back here afterwards (although maybe not tomorrow). x

HELP!

I am 3 weeks post reduction and uplift and also tidy up and have just had call today for my nipple recon 1st June. How long does the op take - I know it is under local, and roughly how long will healing take before I can return to work.
Many thanks
Marjay

Hi Marjay

My nipple recon took less than an hour, I didn’t feel a thing as my breast is numb. I don’t think you will need much time off work. I still have the dressing on, I was told I can remove the padding and the dressing on top of the padding tomorrow. I have an appointment to go back to see the surgeon next Tuesday.

I hope this helps.

x

Thanks Aqua,

Really helpful comments, have they said when they are likely to do the tattoo?

Marjay xx

Marjay, No, they haven’t and but there again I never thought to ask, I’ll have to try and remember for when I go back next week.

xx

Hi Lola

How are you after having the tattoo - was it painful?

x

Had my tattoo last Tuesday. The surgeon was there but it was the breastcare nurse who did it, assisted by a lady who was visiting who is an expert in nipple tattooing, so I felt like I was in good hands. First of all they tried out various colours on my skin near my real areola to try and match as best as possible. They asked me to check that I was happy with the colour too. Then the surgeon gave me some local anaesthetic. He had to put the needle in several different places and I was surpised how in some of the places it hurt more than I expected - but actually I was pleased to discover I have some feeling there! The actual tattooing process did hurt a little bit, particularly in one area under my nipple where I obviously still had feeling. But it was bearable. Apart from that area the rest of it I could just feel the vibrations from the tattooing “brush”, which was made up of about 5 needles. Every so often they got me to sit up so they could check progress and also let me look in the mirror. I actually bled quite alot - they said some people bleed more than others. I’m not sure how long I was in there, but maybe 3/4 hour to an hour. They decided to stop and have booked me in for a second treatment in August to build up the colour. They just gave me a gauze to put in my bra, not a dressing, but unfortunately the next day I thought it looked a bit weepy and then after a couple more days it was still weepy and a bit yellow and although I don’t have musch feeling there I thought I could feel a few sharp pains, so I went to my GP. He agreed that I had an infection and put me on antibiotics. 3 days later now it has dried up and scabbed over and I feel fine. They have made a good start but I think it could be improved, so am glad to have the next appointment booked (they need to wait til August so that it’s really well healed). Having the tattoo draws the eye away from the scarringon the breast and I think it should look really good after another treatment and when it’s all healed up. Good luck everyone else! x

Hello

I’m waiting for a date for my nipple reconstruction. My surgeon has described what she is going to do and I have read all your comments but I can’t get my head around what it is actually going to look like. Am I weird to ask if anyone knows of where I can view pictures of completed reconstructions?
I’m nervous of searching the internet using the word nipple as I dread to think what will come up!

Thanks
Danny

Ask your surgeon or breast cancer nurse and they should be able to show you some pictures. My surgeon showed me his portfolio before I had all my surgery and it helped seeing the actual results. He has taken photos of my recon at every stage and will be adding these pictures to his portfolio to show other ladies. If you Google “Nipple reconstruction” and then click on “images”, there are quite a few pictures which come up which may help you. As I said previously, I am really pleased with my new nipple and would recommend the procedure. Good luck. xxx

Thanks Lola. I just had a quick look via google and they look okay. I think i’d prefer to have it done than not done.

N (haven’t found a name yet!)